Called FAA today about max ceiling

Line of sight is the key as to how high you should really fly to stay out of trouble and safety of other aircraft, for commercial flyers why would they want to fly higher than 400ft? We already have Google Earth if you need pictures for real estate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app

Line of sight is the key as to how high you should really fly to stay out of trouble and safety of other aircraft, for commercial flyers why would they want to fly higher than 400ft? We already have Google Earth if you need pictures for real estate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using PhantomPilots mobile app
Unfortunately, Google Earth is usually 6-18 months old, but I agree. Most useful real estate photos are well below 400 feet!

City of Chicago Ordinance 10-36-400. This one city, at least, thinks that they can control airspace.
And they will get shot down the first time someone challenges them if federal court. Check out the thread about the Newton citizen who is suing for the same problem.

Reactions: Falcon900
City of Chicago Ordinance 10-36-400. This one city, at least, thinks that they can control airspace.
While they can control takeoff and landing areas on the ground, if you can find a legal place to launch and land from, preferably out of sight, they have no jurisdiction to legislate national airspace, according to the FAA. However, fighting city hall is an uphill battle. Better to just not be locatable! They still need to find the PIC! Get in, get out, and blend in. Mavic Pro is the perfect stealth drone with enough range to support these types of stealth missions! See the most recent episode of Blacklist.:p

I'm sorry but Fred 72933 is wrong on 500 feet for man Aircraft. Being a pilot with 13,000 hours in fix wing cropdusting & helicopters 50/50 a Helicopter has NO ALTITUDE RESTRICTIONS other than a emergency landing can not do undo hear to persons or property. I can hover over your house at 100 feet as long as I can auto into your backyard. No at 100 feet with 0 forward speed I would be in the " Dead mans curve " So a helicopter can fly over your house at 100 feet & be completely legal.

In the above I meant " A emergency landing cannot do UNDO HARM to persons & property.
Also the " Dead Mans Curve " Is where a Helicopter needs forward speed to autorotate safely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idiots and criminals don't care about the law. It's the honest guy that gets smashed with regulations. People on here talking about 500ft manned aircraft flights. Ya maybe if your a crop duster/heli but if they aren't landing, working they are at 3500ft+ for sure. If your flying with a flight plan you are at over 9000-38000ft well higher than any drone unless you are coming into a airport or a controller tells you otherwise. Mid air collisions are very very rare and the reason they even happen as much as they do is because aircraft must fly at certain elevations/Lat/long in certain situations and the error is usually because of a human error. A random mid air uncomputer assisted collision is very difficult even if you were trying to do it. All this nail biting talk I see on this forum about the FAA is crazy. Come on guys just don't do stupid stuff. Presently nearly all manned aircraft are flying from one place to another in the most direct course excluding going around restricted areas. The line is from one airport to another. If you aren't in that line the chances of hitting a manned aircraft with your drone is pretty much ZERO! Look up in the sky and watch the planes/helis. They are flying in the same spots/lines just going from one airport to another. If your in the foot hills(etc) out of these flight lines you could fly a drone forever at any altitude and never hit anything.

Reactions: BuickGS
Idiots and criminals don't care about the law. It's the honest guy that gets smashed with regulations. People on here talking about 500ft manned aircraft flights. Ya maybe if your a crop duster/heli but if they aren't landing, working they are at 3500ft+ for sure. If your flying with a flight plan you are at over 9000-38000ft well higher than any drone unless you are coming into a airport or a controller tells you otherwise. Mid air collisions are very very rare and the reason they even happen as much as they do is because aircraft must fly at certain elevations/Lat/long in certain situations and the error is usually because of a human error. A random mid air uncomputer assisted collision is very difficult even if you were trying to do it. All this nail biting talk I see on this forum about the FAA is crazy. Come on guys just don't do stupid stuff. Presently nearly all manned aircraft are flying from one place to another in the most direct course excluding going around restricted areas. The line is from one airport to another. If you aren't in that line the chances of hitting a manned aircraft with your drone is pretty much ZERO! Look up in the sky and watch the planes/helis. They are flying in the same spots/lines just going from one airport to another. If your in the foot hills(etc) out of these flight lines you could fly a drone forever at any altitude and never hit anything.
Well not really, I often flew out into an open area where I could practice things like stalls and emergency landing procedures. As a student, I once had my instructor pull the throttle back to simulate an engine out emergency. He let me get down to only about 100 feet and lined up on an open field before healer go and let me climb out! Nowhere near or inline between 2 airports. For my cross countries, I filed flight plans for trips less than 1000 ft AGL. Still higher than a sUAS might be flying, but not out of the possible. Came down lower several times to wag my wings over my house. Care Flight often comes over my backyard lower than 500 ft and with the trees at the back of my property, I heard them just a bit before I can see them. Bottom line is that manned aircraft can and will be lower, often in unexpected places and it's our responsibility to get/keep out of their way. Heck, I bet we ven have to give way to kites

Reactions: cobra46

Where do I start???

I fly a LOT and I can tell you we fly a lot in remote areas in the 500' AGL space. We are flying for fun not "just to get somewhere". Commercial/Transport aircraft are a whole other story but those of us who are lucky enough to fly for fun don't follow "Commercial Air Routes" and often fly well below 1,000'AGL.

What about MediVac aircraft? What about LE aircraft? What about Forest Service Fire Suppression aircraft/ None of these are going to be very high and won't be following commercial air routes.

At the end of the day it's up to the UAS operator to do whatever is required to stay out of the flight path of any manned aircraft and if you think they only fly at 1,000's of feet except landing/taking off you're very VERY wrong.

Reactions: cobra46
Where do I start???

I fly a LOT and I can tell you we fly a lot in remote areas in the 500' AGL space. We are flying for fun not "just to get somewhere". Commercial/Transport aircraft are a whole other story but those of us who are lucky enough to fly for fun don't follow "Commercial Air Routes" and often fly well below 1,000'AGL.

What about MediVac aircraft? What about LE aircraft? What about Forest Service Fire Suppression aircraft/ None of these are going to be very high and won't be following commercial air routes.

At the end of the day it's up to the UAS operator to do whatever is required to stay out of the flight path of any manned aircraft and if you think they only fly at 1,000's of feet except landing/taking off you're very VERY wrong.

Not to mention any pilot (even remote pilots) can violate any FAA rule at any time if necessary for an emergency. Sure they'll probably be expected to explain it later (assuming there *is* a later) but when it comes to emergencies all regulations are fair game, including altitude.

Reactions: BigAl07
Not to mention any pilot (even remote pilots) can violate any FAA rule at any time if necessary for an emergency. Sure they'll probably be expected to explain it later (assuming there *is* a later) but when it comes to emergencies all regulations are fair game, including altitude.
Even emergency landing on military bases. Ask me how I know! :eek:

Reactions: BigAl07

Yes you are correct. Expected to explain is an UNDERstatement. We declared an emergency at KAVL due to icing and they cleared the area and alerted Fire & Rescue which meant I had a LOT of answering to do. Did I mention paperwork and a "courtesy" visit to the tower?
Even emergency landing on military bases. Ask me how I know! :eek:

I can't even imagine the questions you had to answer on this one LOL.

Hey let's not forget about Part 103 UltraLights pilots doing pleasure flights. The odd thing is that they will be mostly out in the country, over sparsely populated areas, flying around scenic areas. The very same places hobby drone operators like to be higher than 400AGL and beyond VLOS.

Hey let's not forget about Part 103 UltraLights pilots doing pleasure flights. The odd thing is that they will be mostly out in the country, over sparsely populated areas, flying around scenic areas. The very same places hobby drone operators like to be higher than 400AGL and beyond VLOS.

Very good point to make.

Reactions: loganlexow
Yes you are correct. Expected to explain is an UNDERstatement. We declared an emergency at KAVL due to icing and they cleared the area and alerted Fire & Rescue which meant I had a LOT of answering to do. Did I mention paperwork and a "courtesy" visit to the tower?

I can't even imagine the questions you had to answer on this one LOL.
Indeed! :oops: Thorough interrogation, investigation, and an "invitation" to meet with the Base Lieutenant! Not for the faint of heart! Ultimately resolved with a recommendation of "no further action" by the Duty Captain, which was finally agreed to by the Base Lieutenant! :eek:

An EXCELLENT point.

Though it is far from guaranteed, one way of identifying possible UL activity is to check local charts for either an F inside a circle or a glider icon with a diamond.
Not to mention parachutes and gliders! As I commented on another thread, it's probably our responsibility to avoid kites too

Not to mention parachutes and gliders! As I commented on another thread, it's probably our responsibility to avoid kites too
As far as other drones in the area, it's every man for himself! :p
However, prudence would dictate avoiding unmanned aircraft, too! :eek:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94