Called FAA today about max ceiling

That's just something I will never be able to wrap my head around and to be honest, it concerns me greatly. I mean we (the licensed and certified remote pilots) have the 400 ft AGL limit but any Tom, **** and Harry hobbyist (mostly referring to the first timer Christmas 2016 drone owners) can go out and fly irresponsibility, injury themselves or someone else resulting that those who are doing this for our family's livelihood could be at risk of losing everything due to their actions of flying stupid. These "hobbyist" flying restrictions, or shall I say non-restrictions can be a recipe that could force the FAA to impose the harshest of future rules and regulations and possibly even harsher penalties on those who fly commercially by the book.
I say, that anyone who flies a UAV of any kind should be required by law to obtain a license and/or certification just like anyone who operates a motor vehicle on the highways. This accomplishes many things but here are two; It teaches the UAV operator to work within the laws made by the FAA and ,two, it educates the uninformed so they know what things they can and things they can't do. It will prevent more problems than what it might cause IMO. Education is key and for all of our future flyings' sake, we need all the education we can get for those who are uninformed.
I am so amused sometimes of these post's.....The RULES ARE VERY CLEAR! WITHIN 5 MILES OF ANY ACTIVE AIRPORT another words 5 miles or closer!!!! YOU CANNOT FLY ABOVE 400 FEET! YOU MAY NOT TAKE OFF OR LAND WITHIN 1.5 MILES OF AN ACTIVE AIRPORT!!! WITHOUT NOTIFING THE CONTROL TOWER OF YOUR EXACT LOCATION AND ALTITUDE AND LENGTH OF TIME IN THAT AREA!!! ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE 5 MILE RULE IS SKY'S THE LIMIT!! AND IF YOU HAD A DECENT DRONE! IT WOULD NOT ALLOW YOU TO FLY PAST ANY OF THOSE LIMITATIONS!

There is NO 400 foot limit unless you are flying commercial. At which point you fall under part 107. Hobby fliers are not bound to part 107.

Reactions: Pharm
I am so amused sometimes of these post's.....The RULES ARE VERY CLEAR! WITHIN 5 MILES OF ANY ACTIVE AIRPORT another words 5 miles or closer!!!! YOU CANNOT FLY ABOVE 400 FEET! YOU MAY NOT TAKE OFF OR LAND WITHIN 1.5 MILES OF AN ACTIVE AIRPORT!!! WITHOUT NOTIFING THE CONTROL TOWER OF YOUR EXACT LOCATION AND ALTITUDE AND LENGTH OF TIME IN THAT AREA!!! ANYTHING OUTSIDE THE 5 MILE RULE IS SKY'S THE LIMIT!! AND IF YOU HAD A DECENT DRONE! IT WOULD NOT ALLOW YOU TO FLY PAST ANY OF THOSE LIMITATIONS!
Where did you get the 1.5 mile idea. Only requirement is to notify when you will be flying with 5 miles. Unless as Buick commented, you are flying under Part 107 and you don't have to notify unless you will be in controlled airspace and that takes prior approval. And who's to say what a decent sUAS is? Remember, these rules apply to all remotely piloted aircraft, not just drones.

Hobby fliers are not bound to part 107.

That statement is the basis of my earlier post and the biggest concern that I have as well. As for P4PCommander's response, I truly hope you were very amused at my post. My concerned is warranted and if your livelihood was in the hands of the FAA who hand down the rules and regulations that can change at a moment's notice due to morons who have no concern nor care for the law of flying sUAS, you should be concerned as well. Now if you are one of those "look at me with my first drone I just got at Christmas time so lets go fly 3000ft in the air over my populated neighborhood in controlled airspace", then you should be concerned as well because the liberties that we all enjoy today will be gone tomorrow. If you're just a hobbyist then it's not that big a deal, but for those with part 107 and does this for income for their family, we worry! So please stay amused my friend.

That statement is the basis of my earlier post and the biggest concern that I have as well. As for P4PCommander's response, I truly hope you were very amused at my post. My concerned is warranted and if your livelihood was in the hands of the FAA who hand down the rules and regulations that can change at a moment's notice due to morons who have no concern nor care for the law of flying sUAS, you should be concerned as well. Now if you are one of those "look at me with my first drone I just got at Christmas time so lets go fly 3000ft in the air over my populated neighborhood in controlled airspace", then you should be concerned as well because the liberties that we all enjoy today will be gone tomorrow. If you're just a hobbyist then it's not that big a deal, but for those with part 107 and does this for income for their family, we worry! So please stay amused my friend.
Might want to consider another line of work for income. This one is clearly too stressful for you. Part 107 has opened up the floodgates where everyone with a drone can now become a licensed commercial drone pilot for $250 and a weekend of study. That excessive supply, with a fixed demand, will drive whatever your income you were expecting into the ground.

Part 107 has opened up the floodgates where everyone with a drone can now become a licensed commercial drone pilot for $250 and a weekend of study.

I agree with this part of your statement but not every Part 107 drone owner will deliver quality, nor locations that I will be. That will be the difference maker. And the only thing "clear" to me is that if irresponsible pilots continue doing irresponsible things, we all lose. I just hope the future is good to us all, hobbyists and commercial remote pilots.

I agree with this part of your statement but not every Part 107 drone owner will deliver quality, nor locations that I will be. That will be the difference maker. And the only thing "clear" to me is that if irresponsible pilots continue doing irresponsible things, we all lose. I just hope the future is good to us all, hobbyists and commercial remote pilots.
You can't fix stupid. Irresponsible pilots will continue to do irresponsible things. If your income depends upon a lack of further regulation, you have a small window of opportunity. One area that will continue to be in high demand is drone education, teaching others how to operate and run a drone business, as hope springs eternal. You'll make money that way, even if your students never do. Kind of like a ponzi scheme. ;)

A flight plane WHAT ????????? It just states where your leaving fro & where your expected to land . If you don't cancel it they come look for you . Look Drone operators really do not understand General Aviation FAA rules. Please DO NOT COMENT UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT !!!!!
Your just causing more ???????????????

Reactions: cobra46
OK I'm glad we addressed this point. Aircraft fly under 400 feet & are legal. ( Depending on there surroundings.) I brought this up to help people understand the Risks. WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL. These Drones can fly right through a piece of 1/8 thick plexiglass . I no longer fly Aircraft ,but I will say this , If i did & had NO INTEREST IN Drones I would be 100% against them. Its just like a Goose & could take you out without even seeing them coming . DRONES ARE HARDER THAN A GOOSE !!!!!!!!!! I love this sport but the larger it gets the more the focus will be on limiting it. !!!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME !!!!!!

OK I'm glad we addressed this point. Aircraft fly under 400 feet & are legal. ( Depending on there surroundings.) I brought this up to help people understand the Risks. WE HAVE TO BE CAREFUL. These Drones can fly right through a piece of 1/8 thick plexiglass . I no longer fly Aircraft ,but I will say this , If i did & had NO INTEREST IN Drones I would be 100% against them. Its just like a Goose & could take you out without even seeing them coming . DRONES ARE HARDER THAN A GOOSE !!!!!!!!!! I love this sport but the larger it gets the more the focus will be on limiting it. !!!!!!!!!!!! TRUST ME !!!!!!
That ship already sailed a long time ago....:rolleyes:

What's your feeling on it ????

I feel, once we have a few Mid Air collisions & fatalities then all play type Drones sold will be limited to 150 feet altitude & 500 feet horizontal distance.
Commercial Drones under Part 107 will have more restrains then current. & most likely Transponders to identify them .

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel, once we have a few Mid Air collisions & fatalities then all play type Drones sold will be limited to 150 feet altitude & 500 feet horizontal distance.
Commercial Drones under Part 107 will have more restrains then current. & most likely Transponders to identify them .
It's only going to get worse from here on. The VLOS restriction is solely so they can locate the pilot. The VLOS radius is much smaller than the 4.3 mile control radius under FPV! Restrictions will not stop those out to do nefarious things, which should be of far greater concern than the idiots, who are just stupid. You can't legislate stupid. DIY builds will never be able to be controlled, nor those that want to install NFZ bypasses. Regulation will increase, but the incidences will not be decreased by them. You'll just have more scofflaws. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will be flying drones. Have you seen how many people are still texting and driving, and talking on their cell phones in their hand while driving? Far more dangerous than even driving drunk! :eek:

And here is a question to ponder. Lets say you are out in the country, flying around at about 200 feet AGL, full LOS. A crop duster suddenly pops up over the hill, hits your drone and causes damage to the aircraft. Do you feel that you are automatically liable? If so, why? you were not being reckless, you did not see or hear the crop duster prior to the incident. I understand manned aircraft have the right way. But sometimes and accident is just that, and accident.

Same situation, only you are at 600 feet. Would that make any difference? If so, why? you are still flying legally and in full LOS. What constitutes "careless and reckless"? And where exactly is it written?

There is NO 400 foot limit unless you are flying commercial. At which point you fall under part 107. Hobby fliers are not bound to part 107.
I was told in a 107 prep class that 107 only applies when your getting paid.... Just because you have a 107 license doesn't mean you can't fly as a hobby as well.

Sent from my XT1650 using PhantomPilots mobile app

True d-KY.
Likewise, poor judgement during hobby use can jeopardize a/your 107 certification.

True d-KY.
Likewise, poor judgement during hobby use can jeopardize a/your 107 certification.
Agreed, poor judgment even as a hobbyist alone could have heavy consequences... Go up 1000' get some great pics and return safely, great. Go up 1000' and hit a manned aircraft.... Things would get sideways quick... Not to mention should it cause said aircraft to crash!! I admit to going outside safety guidelines on VLOS and altitude sometimes. But I live in a rural area and do so with extreme caution.

Reactions: BuickGS
And here is a question to ponder. Lets say you are out in the country, flying around at about 200 feet AGL, full LOS. A crop duster suddenly pops up over the hill, hits your drone and causes damage to the aircraft. Do you feel that you are automatically liable? If so, why? you were not being reckless, you did not see or hear the crop duster prior to the incident. I understand manned aircraft have the right way. But sometimes and accident is just that, and accident.

Same situation, only you are at 600 feet. Would that make any difference? If so, why? you are still flying legally and in full LOS. What constitutes "careless and reckless"? And where exactly is it written?
That's a very good question. !!!!!!! I know usually the slower less maneuverable has the right away. This is what I mean. I really think Drones will become a big safety issue.

We can (and clearly do...me as much as anyone else) pontificate about what makes sense and explore grey area scenarios ad nauseam, but when that collision happens, what we think won't matter a bit. The FAA inspector gets to decide who is to blame.

If I was involved, whether as a hobbyist or a commercial RPIC, I hope I will have been operating within their guidelines. At least that's the best chance I have to avoid potentially-severe consequences.

Just like anybody else, I have pushed the boundaries and occasionally still do. I'm trying to remind myself here more than anyone else. I can't afford to have my Part 107 license revoked. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

That's a very good question. !!!!!!! I know usually the slower less maneuverable has the right away. This is what I mean. I really think Drones will become a big safety issue.
I kind of agree, as with anything comes responsibility. It's the PIC (person in control)who has the responsibility, whether it's a drunk in a car, it's not the cars fault. Same as some reckless person with a firearm, the firearm did nothing. Same with a drone, if the pilot is reckless and causes an incident there should be consequences for the pilot. My point is they can't punish the masses because of a few reckless people. We need to go back to punishing the person not blaming the device. JMO

Reactions: JWH

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl