Best tablet for DJI GO

Just got a Nexus 7 (2013) for 100 bucks. I was using an iPhone 6s. Love the larger screen of the Nexus, and the lag is very minimal. The Nexus is maybe 50-75 ms slower than the iPhone, but perfectly acceptable. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference unless using them side by side.

This question has been asked and answered many times on these forums. I think I've even asked it. As such there's a wealth of information littering these pages.

Unless one or other operating system delivers particular functions that you need, then choice will come down to devices that are affordable within your budget and that offer GPS, good performance, wifi and a decent screen.

I'm not an IOS guy, overhyped and over priced in my personal opinion, so I bought the nvidia k1. So far it works well. It has all of the attributes outlined above at a good price. Both Litchi and DJI Go seem well implemented on Android so another plus point.

Screen brightness may become an issue in the future, hard to tell here in the UK because sun seems to be a rare commodity at the moment. On the rare occasions I have flown in sun, it's worked fine but those days haven't been particularly bright.

For £150 it's been a good buy. Time will tell if it's been a great buy.

Good luck with your decision.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TrevorTron
I am flying my P3P with a dedicated iPad Air 2 with Wifi and Cellular. Same with my P3S, but the dedicated iPad Air 2 does not have Cellular. At 63 years young, my eyes are not as good as they once were and have to wear glasses like so many others. The large screen is a real benefit for those who do need a larger viewing area. Some consider a lanyard and having to use one as a down side to the tablets, but comes in nice when you need to use both hands and can let the remote control go and hang.

I am flying my P3P with a dedicated iPad Air 2 with Wifi and Cellular. Same with my P3S, but the dedicated iPad Air 2 does not have Cellular. At 63 years young, my eyes are not as good as they once were and have to wear glasses like so many others. The large screen is a real benefit for those who do need a larger viewing area. Some consider a lanyard and having to use one as a down side to the tablets, but comes in nice when you need to use both hands and can let the remote control go and hang.

Thanks for posting. I am still 50/50 between the Air 2 and Mini4. I do use a neckstrap (lanyard?), as you say it leaves your hands free if need be, so the extra weight of the Air 2 hopefully shouldn't be too much of an issue. Is the Air 2's screen okay for reflections? I currently have the Mini 2 and mostly see my own face!

I brought a dedicated iPad Air 2 with cellar, absolutely love it, I am a bit disappointed though as I must have been reading old threads as ones I were reading didn't recommend the iPad Mini 4 as it was still 'new' they must have been a year old :(

I think if I was going to buy a dedicated tablet now, I would either go with the Nvida cause of the price for what you get or maybe the iPad mini 4. The iPad air 2 is great but you get the exact same with the mini 4, so you could get some extra GB for what you paid. Don't get me wrong I love my iPad Air 2 and after about 10 sessions of 3 batteries, so lasting about 1 hour in total, I have had no problems, I don't use a neckstrap/lanyard, and my arms don't get tired, even though I'm not a particularly strong person but it is just that little to top heavy and only just fits in the tablet holder with a case on, although I guess it is nice to have that extra screen and snug fit.

If you are going to go iPad, go to a store, hold both the iPad mini 4 and Air 2, and see which you think is best, maybe even take your controller in and see what it feels like (if the security piece doesn't get in the way), because if you're investing that much money in a dedicated tablet you want it to be right.

Apple mini iPad 2. Works perfect for me. Some times in bright sun the screen can be difficult view even when the screen brightness setting is on full. I made a screen shade, painted it black inside and the screen can now be viewed without any problems.

Apple mini iPad 2. Works perfect for me. Some times in bright sun the screen can be difficult view even when the screen brightness setting is on full.
Agreed.

The iPad Mini 4 has an anti-reflective screen. So, anyone purchasing a new iPad Mini should consider getting the iPad Mini 4 if planning to fly in direct sunlight often. The iPad Mini 2 is certainly powerful enough to run the DJI GO app though -- if that's the only concern.

I have an ipad air 2 i use for the phantom, infact it stays in the case with the phantom and only comes out for flying or charging,
I,m an android guy, dont know nuffin about apple, only thing i had to search was how to stop apps running in the background, seems to work ok and the screen is bright enough, never looked further into what it can do,
I have a home made hood for it.

Edited to say..each time i turn it on a balloon pops up in the middle saying no sim card, so i guess its cel,

Last edited:
I brought a dedicated iPad Air 2 with cellar, absolutely love it, I am a bit disappointed though as I must have been reading old threads as ones I were reading didn't recommend the iPad Mini 4 as it was still 'new' they must have been a year old :(

I think if I was going to buy a dedicated tablet now, I would either go with the Nvida cause of the price for what you get or maybe the iPad mini 4. The iPad air 2 is great but you get the exact same with the mini 4, so you could get some extra GB for what you paid. Don't get me wrong I love my iPad Air 2 and after about 10 sessions of 3 batteries, so lasting about 1 hour in total, I have had no problems, I don't use a neckstrap/lanyard, and my arms don't get tired, even though I'm not a particularly strong person but it is just that little to top heavy and only just fits in the tablet holder with a case on, although I guess it is nice to have that extra screen and snug fit.

If you are going to go iPad, go to a store, hold both the iPad mini 4 and Air 2, and see which you think is best, maybe even take your controller in and see what it feels like (if the security piece doesn't get in the way), because if you're investing that much money in a dedicated tablet you want it to be right.
I upgraded from the iPad Mini 2 to the iPad Air 2 because of overheating issues with the Mini 2 in the summer. When it's over 90F the Mini 2 would start to pixelate and screen lag. During the summer here in the US, there quite a few threads concerning this issue. iPad Air 2 has a faster processor and can handle the load of the Go app better. Since I switched I have never had the overheating problem.

Agreed.

The iPad Mini 4 has an anti-reflective screen. So, anyone purchasing a new iPad Mini should consider getting the iPad Mini 4 if planning to fly in direct sunlight often. The iPad Mini 2 is certainly powerful enough to run the DJI GO app though -- if that's the only concern.
The Mini 2 is powerful enough to run the DJI GO app unless you add heat in the form of 85+ F on a hot day. Screen will pixelate and eventually shut down. Apple Specs read: Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C). It's easy to get the Mini 2 over 95 F on a 85-degree day when you're adding the load of the GO app and you're stuck in the sun. The Air 2 has the same operating range specs, but the faster processor handles the load of the app easier.

Hi

Huge Apple fanboy here. And proud P3P owner.

Currently I'm using my iPhone 6S for lightbridge tru DJI GO.
Though it works perfectly, I was thinking of getting a dedicated Phantom-tablet.
So much is going on, on my phone, that I wont risking the app crashing og things like that.

I see many topics like this on here, but i also see, that mostly Android-devices are recomended.
I would trust an iPad more than any android device, and see some other users in here complainting about the android OS and its (in)stability.

I guess GPS is a major feature and would like that in my tablet.
What would you recommend of the Apple-tablet - or why do you think i should pick a Android instead?

Regards
Emil
My vote is the iPad Mini 4 with Cellular/WiFi. Perfect size, great screen, fast processor.

I read this yesterday and immediately went to BestBuy and grabbed an Insignnia Flex Elite and set it up within a half hour after getting home. I'm not an android guy and have been using my iPhone 5S but it is hard to see so it'll be nice using this. I have an iPad that I never use (hate it, I'm a PC guy) but my wife and daughter got it for me as a bday present a few years ago. My wife loves it and it's pretty much her's now, and I did think about using it but even with a clamp I bought that would hold it, it was way too big. So thanks for this heads up,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hi

Though it works perfectly, I was thinking of getting a dedicated Phantom-tablet.
So much is going on, on my phone, that I wont risking the app crashing og things like that.

I see many topics like this on here, but i also see, that mostly Android-devices are recomended.
I would trust an iPad more than any android device, and see some other users in here complainting about the android OS and its (in)stability.

What would you recommend of the Apple-tablet - or why do you think i should pick a Android instead?

Regards
Emil
I am a retired Airline Captain and have had 4 Drones my current one same as you have and the main reason for buying this one is the remote controller is set up perfectly for a tablet and my Ipad Air 2 fits perfectly and has enhanced my flying ability to take better photo's and video. I strongly recommend the Ipad Air 2 to use with your P3.

Got my P3P in early January and have been using a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and had no problems. Recently upgraded to Galaxy Tab S2 8.0 and wouldn't consider any other tablet as I've had zero issues and this tablet is one of the fastest and most powerful for it's size.

Hi

Regards
Emil
I love my Galaxy Tab A. It fits on the controller and gives a large, clear display making it easy for me to set-up and fly my P3P.

I was using a Samsung Note 4, and I had laggy video. Went to a Samsung Tab, and still had laggy video. Recently bought an iPad Mini 4, and no problems what so ever.

I was using a Samsung Note 4, and I had laggy video. Went to a Samsung Tab, and still had laggy video. Recently bought an iPad Mini 4, and no problems what so ever.

My note 5 is amazing. Absolutely no lag. Only problem is that it was a small screen at 5.7. I went for the nexus 7.

I picked up the galaxy tab s2 9.7 with an instant rebate of $100 through b&h for $399. This thing has great processing power with a beautiful bright display. It's noticeably lighter than the ipad air 2 and it fits perfectly on the stock phone/tablet holder. The best part of the tab s2 is that it comes with 32gb memory stock that is expandable with an sd card and it also comes with GPS. I use my hotspot on sprint note 5 to load the map of where I am flying and then turn on airplane mode as a precaution. I've never used an iTablet so I can't have a fair comparison, but I like the fact that android is open source with the ability for coders to make some sick 3rd party programs to expand the envelope of the phantom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31