Best range mod?

Alright well now I'm intrigued. I will admit, I did very little research on the alpha. What I did see looked more than involved than the dbs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

That's my caveat right now. Yes the alpha mod seams awesome. But the DBS is convenient and essentially plug and play. I'll have to look up what it takes to install the alpha mod. To me, if I wanted to tear into it and start soldering, I'd rather build a quad from the frame up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

You're making this statement without even knowing.

Here:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

My alfa stuff should be here this week!

I was reading some Alfa antenna reviews on Amazon and believe it or not there were two reviews by quad pilots and they were both very happy.

Btw, the prices on the Alfa stuff are cheaper on the Rokland site.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matts175
Ok so I already have the DBS itelite installed and so far I'm very pleased with the extended range plus I've yet to see how far the DBS will really take me.

I'll be putting the DBS and new Alfa mod head to head this coming Wednesday up at the desert house where there are massive open areas not to mention beautiful dry lakes and rock ranges.

As for mounting the Alfa, the three antenna panels fix to the same U.FL to RP-SMA Antenna RG178 cables provided with the DBS kit so all I had to do was relocate them. That was simple enough so now both mods fit perfect at the new connector locations and swapping takes 3 minutes.

Last edited:
*DBS with new connector locations.
*Simple and quick swap.
*Alfa mod installed.
The Alfa panels are super light with sturdy adjustable elbows that can be fixed straight, 45 degree or 90 degree.
IMG_2666.JPG
IMG_2667.JPG
IMG_2668.JPG
IMG_2669.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: Matts175
I would like to see alpha and dbs head to head comparison. Can alpha reach greater distances than dbs? Can you add amps to alpha just like to dbs?

I have dbs installed and thinking about buying amps for it.

Lähetetty minun SM-G930F laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Reactions: G Tek Fab
IMG_1887.PNG
Well I went to the spot where I reached 4000+ft with the DBS before some major signal interference and this time I pushed the DBS a little further and got 4566 ft of distance at 439 ft up before the "strong interference" warning started popping up so I snapped a shot and hit RTH. You can see from the pic I still had a strong control and wifi signal again at this point. If you look close enough you can also see the huge transmission lines that may have caused the warning. (Can't wait to test the DBS in the desert.)

I swapped to the Alfa panels and got to the same altitude and followed the same path as the DBS. I had a strong signal up to 1700 ft of distance then it just dropped off in an instant causing the bird to turn itself back. It happened so fast it scared the fook out of me! I didn't even have a chance to snap a quick shot. I'm just happy it returned home.

I'm still going to test it next week up in the high desert where there will be zero interference to worry about although after this short test I'm thinking the DBS will smoke the Alfa.

Last edited:
So it seems that dbs is still the winner for long distances..

So it seems that dbs is still the winner for long distances..

I'm giving the Alfa another shot next week but if I were to make a decision right now DBS itelite for the mutha fookin win.

Last edited:
I'm giving the Alpha another shot next week but if I were to make a decision right now DBS itelite for the mutha fookin win.

Only one test never gives the whole truth, but 4500ft against 1700ft is big difference..
I'm giving the Alpha another shot next week but if I were to make a decision right now DBS itelite for the mutha fookin win.

Reactions: G Tek Fab
Absolutely.

I'm not sure how Richard on the YouTube vid reached 14,000 feet with the Alpha? This is why I haven't completely given up on the Alfa.

Last edited:
How important is the orientation with patch antennas? i get a hell of a lot more than that with my alfas even when unboosted and in a large town. I have both upright, the 5ghz facing down.

The Alfhas are "directional" which means to get the strongest signal they have to be pointed directly at the bird.

I guess I should try rotating the M25 to the bottom.

Last edited:
The Alphas are "directional" which means to get the strongest signal they have to be pointed directly at the bird.

I guess I should try rotating the M25 to the bottom.

worth a try, i meant polarization, i know with dipoles it makes a massive difference. Might not with patch. Someone needs to test these with one of those immersionrc power meters, remove the variables.

Agreed.

Wish I wouldn't have thought of moving the antennas around this morning. I guess I was a little freaked out about the instantaneous sig drop so I didn't even think to move the panels around.

They certainly can Be adjusted into a lot of different positions.

Very interested in your next back to back test. And great idea about setting it up so that you can swap back and forth.
I see you have a birdside antenna. Is your wifi signal standing side by side with your control now?

I see you have a birdside antenna. Is your wifi signal standing side by side with your control now?

Actually my video feed is way stronger than my control signal now. My control signal will go down to almost nothing and I'll still have 4 bars on the video signal. I'm thinking about adding and amp just to the 5.8ghz.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic