Best range mod?

I don't really feel like messing with the software for the magic mod

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
I was hesitant about that also. Believe me I didn't want to brick my Phantom. But it was painless and went off without any problem. Just try the windsurfer for now and see what you get. I like to try the free or cheap stuff before I spend money. I'm not going for distance records every flight but I do like to play once in a while. I think the Magic Power Mod will help with my video stability while I do my normal flying also, especially if I'm in a more wifi congested area. I will test that theory one day BTW but haven't yet. I do know it did greatly help out my video range here and now.

I was having problems getting the magic power to connect so I downloaded Icarus, that one worked for me, but it was $5, but worth it, allows you to easily change your channel and the TX mod

Now I feel like I should just get the advance...

That's the reason I'm not willing to drop hundreds upgrading the range on my P3S: at best I'll make it half as good as any of the DJI models with Lightbridge. In my case range isn't as critical as it is for your intended use. It may be time to look at alternative drones.

That's the thing, I got this for my birthday last July. I feel like it would be rude/mean/selfish/ungrateful? of me to sell it to get a better one...but it's barely used and as a bunch of accessories with it

That's the thing, I got this for my birthday last July. I feel like it would be rude/mean/selfish/ungrateful? of me to sell it to get a better one...but it's barely used and as a bunch of accessories with it

Honestly, I'd just keep it. Guys are going 14,000 feet with them (Alfa Mod). How much further do you really need to go? LOL The Alfa mod is $50.00 total. That's a phenomenal gain for that kind of money.

Why don't you start with a homemade windsurfer (How to build your own Windsurfer Antenna) and the Magic Power Mod (How to Update Tx-Power with Magic Power v5.0). Both are free except for the minimal cost in materials of the windsurfer. Try these out and go from there. The windsurfer is for control range and the Magic Power is for video (wifi) range. That's what I'm doing. BTW if you build the windsurfer cut about 3/4" off the bottom. I had to do that to get it to fit correctly (at least for my liking). Works great so far. Here is the thread I started with the video to my 9733 ft flight using what I mentioned above.
New personal distance best with P3S

Thanks Lunatech for the link on the Windsurfer instructions and templates. I want the best performance I can get without voiding my warranty. Looks pretty simple to build, and I already have everything I need to do it.

Tobby

Reactions: Lunatech
Thanks Lunatech for the link on the Windsurfer instructions and templates. I want the best performance I can get without voiding my warranty. Looks pretty simple to build, and I already have everything I need to do it.

Tobby
I printed it on 8.5x11 card stock and it seems sturdy enough. I happened to have a pack from a previous project and it worked great.

Can anything be done to this to improve performance, double foil, double the size of it?

I don't think so. It's a tried and true design that's been around since longer than quadcopters were even thought of.

Can anything be done to this to improve performance, double foil, double the size of it?

I think that the idea is to have the parabolic curve of the windsurfer reflecting the signal to the antenna with a much greater surface area. The antenna surface that faces the AC is maybe 1/2", where the windsurfer reflective surface is 8", or 16x greater. I suspect that it helps on the transmissions from the RC too.

Tobby

So I'm wondering which modification you are going to go with after 16 posts? Seems like you are all out of questions.

Tobby

Edit: I just saw that you are 16. You are allowed some confusion as to how to spend at that age.

Yes lol money is a big factor for me. I looked into DroneDeploy some more and found that you need to be in range for the first check point, then it can go out of range and finish the mission and the RTH battery % is set in the Go app. I will probably start out with stock then try the windsurfer with magic power and if that does not work I will go all out for the DBS mod(does that work with magic power?) but I will also have to buy more batteries because the area I'm in will need 4-6....only if I had more money

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl