Best range mod?

I've never heard of that.... I think I'll probably just go with the dbs mod. Tried and true.

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

Yeah this should be sticky(don't really know what that means but) there should be two answers to this. 1# budget mod 2# performance mod. There should be no in between

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

IMG_2661.jpg
Well I obviously need to locate a much bigger open space. I ran a test this morning with the DBS extender and as you can see from the pic I still had a strong wifi and control signal at 4000 feet up to where I came across a bunch of power lines. I'm actually expecting to almost double this if I find a more clear area.

Last edited:
Speaking of budget here's what I paid for the Alfa setup.

(Control)1x Alfa APA-M25 2.4/5 GHz dual band directional 10 dBi panel antenna - 1+ for $17.97 each
(Vid wifi) 2x Alfa 7 dBi gain RP-SMA directional panel antenna APA-M04 - 2+ for $6.57 each

Subtotal : $31.11 USD
Shipping : $4.99 USD
Total : $36.10 USD

Plus $8.99 for (3) 8" Mini PCI IPX U.FL to RP-SMA Antenna RG178 Cable for DJI Phantom 3 Standard on eBay.

That's half what I paid for the DBS and the Alfa is supposed to get double the range of the DBS.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matts175
Speaking of budget here's what I paid for the Alpha setup.

(Control)1x Alfa APA-M25 2.4/5 GHz dual band directional 10 dBi panel antenna - 1+ for $17.97 each
(Vid wifi) 2x Alfa 7 dBi gain RP-SMA directional panel antenna APA-M04 - 2+ for $6.57 each

Subtotal : $31.11 USD
Shipping : $4.99 USD
Total : $36.10 USD

Plus $8.99 for (3) 8" Mini PCI IPX U.FL to RP-SMA Antenna RG178 Cable for DJI Phantom 3 Standard on eBay.

That's half what I paid for the DBS and the Alpha is supposed to get double the range of the DBS.

Yep DBS is expensive for what it is.

I ordered these lfa Antennas and they'll get here TODAY...
Bad news is the needed Cables won't get here from CA until...
OMG I just checked Tracking and THEY'll be here TODAY also = WhooHOOO!!!
People have been posting Great Results with this mod...
Yes they are a self-install but I'm OK with that...
I was going to try the ARGtek (mainly because of price) but again, people have posted Great results and I'll have less than $50 in this Mod... Go to Richard's YTube channel where he has a installation video also = very clean looking install...
I don't want to X my carry-handle, plus I'll be mounting my WiFi higher than he did (so they aren't aiming down like his are)...
WILL post my result ASAP because my P3 has had Very Limited Range where I fly = SUCKS (Sig gets weak past 12-1,300Ft so Max I have flown so far is only 1,600-ish Ft.) :(

Did you happen to get to test these head to head? Looking to do a range extender and this mod really has my attention

I'll be continuing my DBS/Alfa head to head testing once our rain stops. I have a house in the high desert that has massive open spaces.

The cool thing is, to mount the Alfa antennas all I need to do is drill two holes and relocate two existing DBS co ax connectors. The control connection can stay where it is. Should be a quick swap.

Last edited:
It is custom tho, all these other mods are from professional company's

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Alfa is a professional company and the products used in this mod are designed to extend both signals. That, along with the cost is why I'm putting these two head to head.

Last edited:
I didn't know that so Thank You for the heads up...
While doing some research on the Alfa antennas I came across in image the shows the APA M04 antenna with the logo facing the signal direction so I hopped over to Richards YouTube vid to comment and first thing I noticed was his update regarding the direction of the antenna was gone!

Update: while writing this he responded to my comment and said he removed the update comment until he does further testing. I told him testing was good although getting 14k feet was pretty insane for the way he had the antennas facing.

I'm keeping a close eye on his YouTube vid.

Last edited:
By the way skyacramer I hope you are finding this info useful rather than some kind of thread jacking.

There are so many ways to extent your distance but like it's been said many times before, it's all about how much you want to spend.

Good call, so far the DBS is working great for me. I'm just curious about the Alfa antennas and the price is right, so why not satisfy my curiosity.

Last edited:
That's my caveat right now. Yes the alpha mod seams awesome. But the DBS is convenient and essentially plug and play. I'll have to look up what it takes to install the alpha mod. To me, if I wanted to tear into it and start soldering, I'd rather build a quad from the frame up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

The Alfa mod is almost the exact same plug n play as the DBS.

No soldering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matts175

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj