Best "Monitor" for Phantom 3

Reaction score
Hello. Noobie here needing some advice. I pre-ordered a Phantom 3 (my first quadcopter) and have a couple questions about what to use for the controller’s monitor.

Unless another tablet is clearly superior I would like to stick with Apple since I use Mac computers and I’m already proficient with OS X & iOS . I presently have an 128GB iPhone 6+ and an older 128GB iPad 2 (not the Air 2) with Cellular.

I’m concerned about the iPhone 6+’s comparatively small screen size, plus I do not want to be receiving calls, texts, etc whilst trying to fly and film. With regard to my older iPad I’m worried about it being too slow and too loaded down with songs, apps, photos, emails, etc.

Ideally I would like to purchase either an iPad Air 2 or mini 3 to be designated strictly for flying.

I’ve read elsewhere that an iPad with GPS is required. Is this in fact the case then I assume another Wi-Fi + Cellular model would needed?

Also, can the video and/or still images captured by the P3 be stored on the iPad in real time for redundancy (in case of a fly away or drowning)? If so it seems a 128GB model may be worthwhile. If not is there any reason to go bigger than 16GB? (Again, this iPad will be used just for flying the P3)

Finally, with regard to form factor, is there any consensus between the regular iPad vs. the mini as to which is preferable? Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations!

IMO the regular iPad is too big to mount on the remote, it doesn't balance well. The iPad mini size is great.

I have read in other threads and forums that an iPad with GPS (cellular model) is either required or preferred.

Is there any truth to this?

Look no further than iPad mini 2 or above in regard to an iOS device (no less), for android the Nvidia Shield with hdmi out is a recommended choice by current dji inspire pilots.

Last edited:
Reactions: guest10299
Look no further than iPad 2 or above in regard to an iOS device (no less), for android the Nvidia Shield with hdmi out is a recommended choice by current dji inspire pilots.
The iPad 2 won't work because it has the A5 processor that is too slow. Must be the iPad 3 or newer or iPad Mini 2 or newer.

The iPad 2 won't work because it has the A5 processor that is too slow. Must be the iPad 3 or newer or iPad Mini 2 or newer.

Sorry it should have been iPad mini 2, which has the A7 Chip: Don't let its size fool you. iPad mini is powered by the new 1.3Ghz A7 chip with 64-bit architecture. A7 delivers killer performance - up to four times faster CPU and up to eight times faster graphics performance than the previous generation

How come my iPad Mini wont run the app !?

Yea mini 2 is what i am going for

Just received mine today the model with gps built in just incase "follow me becomes a reality, just need to get a sun screen cover,visor but must admit I'm not sure I'm going to like fpv with a screen, much prefer goggles but we shall see, I've reserved a phantom 2 h4 3d just in case.

There is a good cover on eBay for the mini 2 that I'm going for. I got a smaller one of them same make a while back for my iPhone 6 and it's great. Takes about 10 working days to arrive from Hong Kong tho but clearly the wait isn't going to a problem. I will find you the link.

There is a good cover on eBay for the mini 2 that I'm going for. I got a smaller one of them same make a while back for my iPhone 6 and it's great. Takes about 10 working days to arrive from Hong Kong tho but clearly the wait isn't going to a problem. I will find you the link.
Got it! just ordered 1 thanks and your welcome to our flying club here in Derbyshire..
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Looks plenty of open space for flying there, we have a simaler flying club at fleetwood with plenty of open space and the Wyre estuary 400 Mtrs or so at the end of runway which makes for some good video footage when the suns going down. Be good for some UK flyers from here to meet up sometime.

Do you think the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 would be a good solution? How does the Android app stack up to the iOs version in terms of smoothness and support? I do not own an iPad or any other Apple products and was thinking I wanted to stick with Android since that's what I'm familiar with and have already bought apps for in the past. My phone is a Lumia 1520 and my main tablet is a Surface 2 RT so neither of those do me much good for the P3. Thanks!

Do you think the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 would be a good solution? How does the Android app stack up to the iOs version in terms of smoothness and support? I do not own an iPad or any other Apple products and was thinking I wanted to stick with Android since that's what I'm familiar with and have already bought apps for in the past. My phone is a Lumia 1520 and my main tablet is a Surface 2 RT so neither of those do me much good for the P3. Thanks!

Regarding android solutions it seems the Nvidia shield is the best with least latency, indeed this is what many people use on the dji inspire. In fact it might pay you to go and have a look on the inspire forum since that platform as been out for a while now.

The Nvidia is clearly a good one but they are pricey even used.
The Nexus 7 is supposed to work pretty well too and lots more of them about.
I'm in a similar position with a 2 year old Hisense Sero 7 which even has HDMI out but I can't see it being fast enough. I don't have any problem with ipad but would rather stick with Android as I already bought several apps.
Basically a recent fast one with pretentions to be a gaming tablet should work.

The Nvidia is clearly a good one but they are pricey even used.
The Nexus 7 is supposed to work pretty well too and lots more of them about.
I'm in a similar position with a 2 year old Hisense Sero 7 which even has HDMI out but I can't see it being fast enough. I don't have any problem with ipad but would rather stick with Android as I already bought several apps.
Basically a recent fast one with pretentions to be a gaming tablet should work.
I am able to get a Shield Tablet for $250 locally so I'm thinking that will be my choice. Now to determine if I want the Advanced or Professional...

I am able to get a Shield Tablet for $250 locally so I'm thinking that will be my choice. Now to determine if I want the Advanced or Professional...
Get both, figure out which one you like best, and return the other :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers