battery swollen till it it broke the plastic even

Reaction score
hi Guys, look what happened to my battery.....
However it still showes the correct voltage and was still flying kind of ok only that I had compass issues and the drone was drifting away but this must have something to do witht he GPS not the batterie, or?
But crazy how it poped open, now it doens't fit in the drone anymore ggrrrrrr

20190120_202042.jpg

Wow , probly good it don't fit know more,unfortunately, not seen one swell that much without bursting,not sure much with p2 but mayby heat played a part in compass issue,,,???...yes I would put that battery outside so don't catch fire,,,this time your going to have to buy another unless it under warranty,,sorry,,how long was the flight,long,short,that batt been working hard doing something
OK nothing personal but I give you a like just cause your picture is awsome

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
so it can really explode now? don't scare me since it is still inside the house
flying time (when I flew last time in November) was still around 20 min

Yes, it could split, explode and also catch fire (very vigorously). You need to dispose of it safely (search here for methods) or at the very least move it to a place where no consequential damage will result.

Yes don't be scared but yes as @Steve7777 has said very violent when they got,,got more volts there than car battery,,mayby search on you tube on exploding batteries to get a idea how some flare up,I would not sleep if that was inside,,,it might go down to normal side but damage been done,,take care mate
Screenshot_20190121-232739.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Granted, he induced it with a large nail/spike but this is what COULD happen. I’d get it out of the house.

I don't think i have read about members using the "Lipo Battery" safety charging bag for the charging process too much BUT is it a GOOD safety measure ...they are low priced !
Most of them are not quite as effective as the manufacturers lead you to believe. Possibly better than nothing at all though...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you have a lot of batteries (as I do because I fly racing drones too) then a better safety measure is a strong metal box or trunk or, even better, a few of them. Many people swear by old ammo boxes.

[QUOTE="Steve7777, . Many people swear by old ammo boxes.[/QUOTE]

Thats what I use

take that battery outside and put on a brick or similar ... take a car headlight bulb and connect to the battery (no need for fancy connectors ... solid strand copper cable pushed into the main battery ports is fine ... switch on battery and leave it to discharge through the lamp. Note : When lamp extinguishes - it is NOT finished ... its just not enough to make filament glow.
Leave that for at least half a day or more. The battery board inside will switch off at lowest limit unfortunately so please take care - that battery will still have life in it.

Some will tell you to dump into a bowl of salt-water .......... that is so slow as to be virtually useless. BUT in the case of the battery board switching off the contacts ... heavily salted water may be only way to get that last bit of energy out ... but it will take a long time ...
Me ? I would open her up carefully and connect bulb direct the battery cells themselves bypassing the board.

Final act is to dispose of via proper battery site ... not in household trash.

Please do not be tempted to put in the Supermarket battery collection points - unless its a remote one out in the car park ! ... they are not designed for high energy LiPo's disposal.

Nigel

That's the worst DJI R.P.A. battery swelling I've ever seen and I've only seen a few "dumb" R/C LiPo packs that bad in 27 years of flying.

Don't panic, it's not "Nitro Glycerine" but it *is* a real danger. Until you are ready to dispose of it tape over the contacts and store it outside in a metal container with the lid NOT locked down just placed on. Either take it to an approved battery/hazmat disposal facility if you have that sort of thing there or failing that there are "salt bath" tutorials on YouTube on how to discharge such a battery. It's unlikely to catch fire under water.

Also, respectfully, that sort of presentation is almost never an "out of the blue" thing with a smart battery like a DJI. While it may have been the result of repeated charging while too hot or too cold, storage for long periods with incorrect levels of charge or other factors or simply age it's probably been showing signs of heading this way for a while and you've missed it until it became glaring.

I suggest you implement a general pre and post flight checklist of airframe and batteries and stick to it. You were lucky this time, now it's time to be careful. I hope you don't mind the suggestion.

Regards
Ari

Reactions: Graeme64
ok, I throw away the old swollen battery

Which battery should I get?

I noticed that the old one hat 6200mAh

but I find now online only 4500 mAh and 5600 mAh

strange, I can't find any with 6200 mAh

does it make a difference (except the duration of the flight) to the copter?

A easier way to dispose a lipo battery is to fill a bucket up with water and add salt to it.

The salt will activate the ions in the battery and it will drain to 0%

Reactions: Graeme64
ok, I throw away the old swollen battery

Which battery should I get?

I noticed that the old one hat 6200mAh

but I find now online only 4500 mAh and 5600 mAh

strange, I can't find any with 6200 mAh

does it make a difference (except the duration of the flight) to the copter?

Are you sure the old one was 6200mAh? That's a big battery by Phantom standards and I personally haven't seen one that big. The larger of the two Phantom 4 offerings is only 5870mAh. In any event, I don't own that model Phantom so you might be right.

The answer is of course, yes go for the largest one you can find as long as you can afford it. I have a preference for genuine OEM batteries but I have been told that some aftermarket ones are worth while, I guess it's just a matter of doing the research to find out which ones are not going to be a rip off. There's bound to be some people here who can answer that better than I can.

You are correct, the only appreciable difference is going to be flight duration.

Regards
Ari

Right you are then :) As I said, never owned a P2.

The original answer still holds, bigger is better. Bigger = more flight time.

Regards
Ari

A easier way to dispose a lipo battery is to fill a bucket up with water and add salt to it.

The salt will activate the ions in the battery and it will drain to 0%
Batteries are sealed so there is no access to the chemistry. Salt water provides enough conductivity to allow a slow current drain via the discharge and balance connections (if equipped).

Reactions: With The Birds
DJI recommends keeping the battery pack partially charged

"Discharge the battery to 40%-65% if it will NOT be used for 10 days or more. This can greatly extend the battery life". They recommend using the battery pack to operate the aircraft to get it down to this charge level.

With my other lithium-ion battery packs I take them to full charge after use but with the ones from DJI they want a half charge.

It is when a battery is full discharged that chemical processes take place that lead to deterioration of the battery and with an alkaline battery there is likely to be leakage and or expansion of the interior volume of the battery. Not entirely different with the lithium-ion battery packs.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31