Replaced the compass on my drone...It then caught fire!

Reaction score
Hey everyone on this forum!

A couple weeks ago I flew my drone into a tree by accident. After that incident I started to get multiple compass errors that wouldn't even let me fly the drone. So I decided to replace the compass all together. Once I replaced the compass by removing the top shell, removing the old compass, and putting the replacement compass in the same position, I closed everything up. Then I plugged the battery in and turned it on! Next thing you know I see flames coming out the vents so I immediately took out the batter y and turned it off. The battery doesn't look swollen at all so it must be the wiring in the drone. The fire didn't burn much and when i looked through the vents all the wires look intact. Should I inspect the inside of the drone again? And do you think there is any hope in repairing this drone.

IMG_4401.JPG replacement compass

IMG_4400.JPG main fire point
IMG_4399.JPG secondary fire point
IMG_4402.JPG battery

What else did you touch apart from the compass connection? You have managed to create a shirt inside the AC, I would open the shell and see what is danaged. Depending on which components are involved you may be able to get someone to repair it otherwise your looking for a new mainboard.

I'd open it up I'm betting some wiring got pinched

You made short somewhere, and by the position of the flame probably on the esc because only there is enough power to start that kind of flame.
You will most probably need new motherboard.

Hey everyone! Thanks for replying and helping me out! I just opened it up, like many of you said, and I found out what went up in flames. Can one of you tell me what part caused this?
IMG_4406.JPG

What else did you touch apart from the compass connection? You have managed to create a shirt inside the AC, I would open the shell and see what is danaged. Depending on which components are involved you may be able to get someone to repair it otherwise your looking for a new mainboard.
Can you take a look at the reply I posted. You seem like a knowledgeable drone pilot and I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what happened based on the photo attached to the reply.

You made short somewhere, and by the position of the flame probably on the esc because only there is enough power to start that kind of flame.
You will most probably need new motherboard.
Can you take a look at the image i posted just now and tell me if that is the esc? thanks :)

Well it's certainly ESC adjacent. You will need a new main PCB minimum. Hard to be sure from just a photo if that's all and then you have to be certain to remove the original fault.
No good news from where I sit.

Can you take a look at the image i posted just now and tell me if that is the esc? thanks :)
As I sad it's ESC, more precisely this is power mosfet of the ESC. Sorry to say but motherboard must be replaced, can't be repaired. When you was replacing compass you probably damaged\bent something that was cause short or isolation on compass cable was damaged and as it is very close created short but hard to tell from picture.

Last edited:
The OP never stated he armed motors. If the center of the damage is any indication it's most likely a large current buss in the prox. Either way he knows what's ahead for him.

The OP never stated he armed motors. If the center of the damage is any indication it's most likely a large current buss in the prox. Either way he knows what's ahead for him.
It could be, also he didn't arm the motors but phantom does self check on every boot witch engaging ESC/motors. As you said either way new motherboard is only solution.

I say plug the battery in and take off. All joking aside you will have to replace the main board. what looks like happen is the wire that is shown in the photo got pinched when you put the top back on and they shorted out. in saying that check those wires very good repair the wire it has a break in the wire insulation and then plug in battery with top off and you may get lucky. all that on the board may be just smoke damage.

Can you take a look at the reply I posted. You seem like a knowledgeable drone pilot and I would really appreciate it if you could tell me what happened based on the photo attached to the reply.
The main board is beyond repair- as has been suggested other sub components may be damaged however that is possible rather than probably (not likley in my view absent some freak failure mode that allowed full supply voltage to find its way around a buck converter). All I can think of is that you left something on the board that shorted component pins or applied significant pressure to the compass connector during removal/installation breaking the board, full supply voltage is supplied the ESC mosfets so with a multi layer board the heavy tracks to the ESC could find a ground plane or negative track. You may have also managed to get a short in the compass harness, getting the connector on the wrong way around would require a lot of effort.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Yup, time and spare parts will reach a value equivalent of a almost new one...
Time to go shopping....

Buy a refurb, eBay your parts to cut your losses.
Controller is still good though right?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Obviously acquiring a new AC will likely prove the most economic way forward- would still be nice to learn how you managed to end up in this mess though.

Is it worth the risk to replace the mainboard just to find out something else is wrong with it ?.I say it's time to cut your loss now and buy a refurb $399. and sell at least your remote since it is still in working condition.That will help you cut your loss towards the refurb and sell the bird for parts the further cut your costs.
You can sell everything right here on this board as people here are always looking for controllers and spare parts.

Reactions: changedout
im somewhat with the majority.........get a refurb, but keep your Tx and mod it with one of the aftermarket affordable antenna kits !

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl