battery removal while still on

Reaction score
I have searched for something relating to this, and have come up empty handed, so please excuse me if I missed it.
I am wondering why it is SOO very important to power down the battery before and after it is inserted into the quad?
Will it damage something?
Isn't it similar to when you land hard/crash and the battery pops out?
Is is hard on the contacts (pitting/arcing)?
What is the difference between turning the battery off before/after inserting/removal, and not turning it off?

I know there are many warnings about this, but NO explanations as to why.

I have searched for something relating to this, and have come up empty handed, so please excuse me if I missed it.
I am wondering why it is SOO very important to power down the battery before and after it is inserted into the quad?
Will it damage something?
Isn't it similar to when you land hard/crash and the battery pops out?
Is is hard on the contacts (pitting/arcing)?
What is the difference between turning the battery off before/after inserting/removal, and not turning it off?

I know there are many warnings about this, but NO explanations as to why.

The manual does mention that you shouldn't pull it out or put it in while on. Well I and many others have done just the opposite with no ill effects.

If you are recording video and pull the battery out you can corrupt your card and lose your flight data.

Also, I guess if your props are still spinning when you try to remove the battery you could chop off your fingers, but only an idiot would do that

Well I must admit I have done the same but not intentionally. I panicked when i saw that it was on though.
I know that the manual really makes a point of this, but I have never found an explanation as to why or what would/could be damaged.
The only thing I can think of is if battery voltage disappeared while the data bus was till "talking", that could corrupt data or possibly damage the data bus drivers, but it would be nice to know.
thanks for the reply!

Think of it like a desktop computer, you wouldn't just yank out the wall plug to turn it off would ya? :)

If you are recording video and pull the battery out you can corrupt your card and lose your flight data.

Also, I guess if your props are still spinning when you try to remove the battery you could chop off your fingers, but only an idiot would do that
I can see that, but I have an Sj4000 camera with it's own battery so that shouldn't happen and well YAH!! I you are dumb enough to stick your hand in a blender while it is running..... just sayin....

Think of it like a desktop computer, you wouldn't just yank out the wall plug to turn it off would ya? :)
Sometimes I have had to and nothing bad happened.... Also, how about when the power fails? Power failures are usually alot more drastic than just pulling the plug or flipping the power switch. Used to be a BIG no no on early versions of windows, but now they seem to survive pretty good.

Sometimes I have had to and nothing bad happened.... Also, how about when the power fails? Power failures are usually alot more drastic than just pulling the plug or flipping the power switch. Used to be a BIG no no on early versions of windows, but now they seem to survive pretty good.
I can see what you are saying though... unintentional power interruption is not the best way to shut things down.

Accidents happen but it is best to power down first. It only takes a second to do it right.

Some times there's no other way except to pull the plug and needless to say the computer suffered no ill effects by doing so.

Accidents happen but it is best to power down first. It only takes a second to do it right.
That is true... why not do it right and NOT tempt fait!

Some times there's no other way except to pull the plug and needless to say the computer suffered no ill effects by doing so.
You seem to be splitting hairs again. o_O

Pulling the battery out will corrupt the video file if you haven't pressed stop.
It is however recoverable if you repower the phantom and let it finalise the video.

Pulling the battery out will corrupt the video file if you haven't pressed stop.
It is however recoverable if you repower the phantom and let it finalise the video.
That will not happen to me because my camera has it's OWN battery.
Look at my post #6 above.

I am a computer tech, and I actually had someone that "said" they were Microsoft Certified hold the power button on a fully running computer to shut it down... So it does happen... lol... I do it only as a last resort. I would assume it'd be sorta the same for a Phantom. I always do the power-on sequence of GoPro, controller, Phantom, Black Pearl. I do the GoPro first because I use the WiFi to set camera settings then turn off WiFi.

All I want to know is, what is the procedure for just changing a battery during a days flying?, i.e. do you turn off the RC first or just power down the drone, and wait a few seconds, then swap it for a new one, can anyone take the time to tell me please '~'

You don't need to turn off the RC - just power down the drone, change battery, restart drone - confirm connection, commence preflight checks..

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik