Autopilot app, autoflight logic

Reaction score
Has anybody tried the Autopilot app yet? I downloaded it last week, and got to try it out for the first time yesterday, I LOVE IT!! I have a lot to learn about it, I only did the follow and orbit, but it worked perfectly, plus there are all kinds of tutorial videos in-app to watch before your first flight using it. It is 39.99, which is pricey for an app, but considering what I payed for the P3P, it wasn't that bad to unlock a whole lot more potential from my phantom! Anybody else have similar experience or maybe didn't like it, if so, why?

Correction..... J&L is correct, the app is 29.99.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hemar174
I have had the app for my iOS for a few weeks. Have to say I love it. I only paid $29. Did they raise the price? I have only used the zip line and waypoint feature and it's flawless. Waiting for warmer weather to try out follow me so we can follow my sons go cart. Couple friends want me to use follow me while there riding there motorcycles on the back roads. I constantly use the flight school manual and watch the videos a lot. Have fun with it.

Reactions: Jack Ley
yes it`s an excellent app... takes out the full potential of the phantom and its ability as an aerial camera, make shots like that manually its very difficult, almost imposible . or at least for me .... i pay 29 and totally worth it.really good work in that app. ...i have the litchi app in the android device and its a very good app too, more simple, more DJI looks like, and has the advantage that if the connection is lost whit the RC it follows the mission to the end..

I have the Autopilot app as well, I love it. It does everything[emoji1] it makes my little Phantom Standard fly and film like a way more expensive one. I make my flight plan at home then load it up on site. It flys itself from take off to landing. It amazes all my dads friends how In depth the Autopilot app is. Well worth $30 [emoji106]

Here is my first "follow" video, bearing angle was set to "Front". Nothing exciting, just me driving home from the park I was flying at, but very happy with it. I was nervous as hell actually getting in my truck and trusting the app..LOL. (video sped up a bit to shorten the time.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

After watching it, I notice my landing gear in the shot a ton. I put aftermarket black landing gear on it, and it's about an inch longer than the stock landing gear, which I liked because it kept the camera off the ground that much higher. But if it's going to be in the shot that often I'm going to have to go back to stock :-(

This is not my vimeo, but shows just how advanced Autopilot can be utilized to showcase the "follow" mode. You can offset right, left, front or back along with a change of elevation. Enjoy:

Last edited:
A great couple of videos.
What sort of height would the phantom be at for these shots?
Is there any problem to watch out for having the controller in the car, should it be near a window?
If a building came between the phantom and the controller would it lose contact?
I've been a bit cautious about trying this

This is not my vimeo, but shows just how advanced Autopilot can be utilized to showcase the "follow" mode. You can offset right, left, front or back along with a change of elevation. Enjoy:
Wonder how the person was able to do the elevation changes and different angles Etc

Here is my first "follow" video, bearing angle was set to "Front". Nothing exciting, just me driving home from the park I was flying at, but very happy with it. I was nervous as hell actually getting in my truck and trusting the app..LOL. (video sped up a bit to shorten the time.)

After watching it, I notice my landing gear in the shot a ton. I put aftermarket black landing gear on it, and it's about an inch longer than the stock landing gear, which I liked because it kept the camera off the ground that much higher. But if it's going to be in the shot that often I'm going to have to go back to stock :-(
How did you have autopilot setup for this. I really want to try this but scared lol. Where was the RC? Would like for the aircraft to circle me a few times Etc.

Amazing how well it performs..... huge ask on the phantom when you think about it (tracking in front of rarget) and it tracks really nicely..

I cant get my head around you driving on the wrong side of the road though.

How did you have autopilot setup for this. I really want to try this but scared lol. Where was the RC? Would like for the aircraft to circle me a few times Etc.
When you change the mode controls during the flight, Autopilot will immediately start to compensate for the new values.

Reactions: J&L
Has anybody tried the Autopilot app yet? I downloaded it last week, and got to try it out for the first time yesterday, I LOVE IT!! I have a lot to learn about it, I only did the follow and orbit, but it worked perfectly, plus there are all kinds of tutorial videos in-app to watch before your first flight using it. It is 39.99, which is pricey for an app, but considering what I payed for the P3P, it wasn't that bad to unlock a whole lot more potential from my phantom! Anybody else have similar experience or maybe didn't like it, if so, why?

Correction..... J&L is correct, the app is 29.99.
I have it but havnt used it too much i tend to use Airnest its dead easy

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Autopilot 3.1 Is Coming!
The beta test for Autopilot 3.1 is complete, and we will be submitting for App Store approval soon.
Learn more about the new features

There two important issues that you need to be aware of before upgrading:

1) Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+ Support

The DJI SDK update (just released by DJI) requires us to remove support for the Phantom 2 Vision/Vision+ aircraft in Autopilot 3.1.
Learn more about this SDK issue

2) Dynamic Home Location Issue
There is a DJI SDK issue preventing dynamic home location in Autopilot 3.1. DJI has committed to correcting this in the next release.
Learn more about this SDK issue

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Aircraft Types
Added support for the Inspire 1 Pro (X5 camera), Phantom 3 - Standard, Phantom 3 - 4K, and Matrice 100
Removed support for the Phantom 2 Vision and Vision+ (required with DJI SDK 3.0)
Flight Director
Added Waypoint Mission Start (similar to Mission Mark but instructs Autopilot where to start the Mission instead of Waypoint 1)
Corrected an issue where the altimeter reference would be lost on takeoff
Corrected an issue where the aircraft would yaw back to North with Direction Focus Strategy when not moving
Corrected an issue where the aircraft target location would jump ahead after pausing and resuming during Waypoint Missions
Corrected an issue where Waypoint Altitudes would not be properly bounded when opening a flight plan after changing the Min Altitude setting
Corrected an issue where disengaging Autopilot would cancel RTH
Corrected an issue where the Stop Mission button in Waypoint Mode would not illuminate on Mission Completion
Corrected an issue where Autopilot would engage to RC Override when quickly tapping Engage from the take-off countdown
Flight Recorder
Added several new fields to the telemetry logs, including battery serial number (better integration with Healthy Drones)
Added auto-upload support for DroneLogbook
Flight Dashboard
Added camera settings (aircraft must be connected)
Added IMU Preheating warning message
Added one-finger touch focus support for the X5
Updated Touch Focus Strategy to require two fingers because one finger is reserved for focus on the X5
Settings
Added Disengage on Return-to-Home Flight Director Setting (default is enabled)
Added Dynamic Focus Enabled if Available Camera Parameter Setting (only supported on the X5 when Focus Strategy is Subject, default is enabled)
Renamed Disengage on RC Control Mode to Disengage on RC Flight Mode
Updated the default value for the Responsiveness Movement Parameter to 5 seconds
Removed Default Aircraft Type setting (General)
Map
Added a device heading Map indicator
Added Waypoint 1 Distance to Waypoint Map tooltips
Added Operator Distance (when available) to Waypoint Map tooltips
Added distance measurements to Focus Subject Map tooltip
Added Airspace object projections and movement vectors
Updated Airspace device map markers to show the first letter of the callsign, and a direction vector
Renamed the Map Layers menu to the Map Options menu (Map Layers are now under Map Options)
Added undo/redo buttons to the Map Options menu (when available)
Updated the Free Map Tracking option to orient the map view to north when tapped a second time
Corrected an issue where some Waypoint Map markers would not reposition after adding a Waypoint
Corrected an issue where dragging a new second Waypoint would cause the location of the first Waypoint to move
Corrected an issue where the Path Inspector would not intersect the closest path point on straight paths
Corrected an issue where the Path Inspector would not honor the Heading if Gimbal Yaw Enabled Setting while disconnected from an aircraft
Corrected an issue where geo-coordinates would not display on tooltips after changing the setting
Miscellaneous
Update to DJI SDK 3.0
Added Network Airspace (supports unlimited devices and distance)
Updated Flight Plans to track changes from the original Flight Plan after importing
Added help center integration, including support ticket management (More > Support)
Updated splash screen logo
Corrected an issue where altitudes were reported in miles
Corrected an issue where some flight plans would be imported in the wrong location from KML files
Corrected an issue where the app would terminate on iPad when tapping the Flight Dashboard button with the Flight Plan menu open

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

A great couple of videos.
What sort of height would the phantom be at for these shots?
Is there any problem to watch out for having the controller in the car, should it be near a window?
If a building came between the phantom and the controller would it lose contact?
I've been a bit cautious about trying this

As far as height, I launched my bird near several of the taller trees along the route it was going to do the follow, to see how high they were. The highest tree was about 60-70 ft, and all the power lines were at about 40ft. With that info I set the altitude at 110ft, that way I had a 40-50ft safety barrier. I had no problem with the controller in the car, I would have preferred someone else to drive and me hold onto the controller, but I was by myself, so the controller just sat on my passenger seat, no signal problems. As far as a building getting in the way, I don't think it would affect the signal unless it was behind that building for a long time, but I also wouldn't do a follow flight near structures or buildings without being at a high altitude. Also, I believe that if the bird loses signal during a follow flight, it automatically returns to home (where it took off from).

Wonder how the person was able to do the elevation changes and different angles Etc

before you "engage" the flight, for follow, you set all the parameters, altitude, how far away from you(controller), and to fly in front, behind or to the side. Once you engage, and it starts following, lets say the van in this video, you can change those parameters in flight/real time, make it go lower, change distance and where it's filming from. That is how the video with van was able to do that.

I think instead of a slider for changing data inputs. They should have a box where you just type in the number. The slider is very sensitive imo

Actually, I went to a large open field and had it circle me (orbit program) several times before I tried the follow program. As far as the set up, it's seem very intimidating when you first open the app, but there is a tutorial video for every single feature on the entire app, I highly recommend watching all of them, or at least the ones of the program you are going to try out. I spent 3-4 days watching tutorial videos and playing with the app, before I ever attempted to use in on my P3P. Also when you click on a program in app, lets say follow, there are 3 tabs at the top...basic, intermediate and advanced, I would suggest using intermediate. Basic has almost no options, and advanced has way to many options until you get really good at using it. Intermediate gives you about 4-5 simple options, that is what I used in my video.

Reactions: J&L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.