Australian Phantom Flyers!

Hi Folks, I am a certified operator up in Cairns and one of my rigs is a Phantom. If anyone has any questions about the legalities or flying or the process of getting certified, feel free to swing them my way. Stay safe out there!

Hey Guys,

New on here. Been on https://www.facebook.com/groups/237078209830369/ for a while and have browsed these forums for a while, thought I better sign up here.

I am located in Aldinga Beach, South Australia (1hr South Of City).

I have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus which I purchased though Just Hobbies. I have also assisted in getting another user addicted to the Phantom range in my area, so I know of us two, however if there are more around more that happy to meet up and go flying.

I post most of my videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/mjmichaelallen/videos feel free to have a look and ask questions if required.

I am into it just as a hobby, however have always been interested in the commercial aspects of it, however due to costs etc haven't seen it being worth while.

I am a volunteer firefighter and have got some footage while hobby flying (not on duty / call). Would love to be able to provide the footage to the service for use, however due to CASA reg's I am limited.

Hope to see you guys around, stay safe & have fun flying.

Another Canberran here.
We ought to meet up now there are two of us LOL

Melbourne here, south eastern suburbs.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU9_NO ... 14PnbOy1jg

If anyone is interesting in buying a vision 2 + let me know. Full kit with 3 batteries, spare props and prop guards (if you want them). Happy to go through procedures with buyer if that's what you want.

I really love the phantom, but I just don't have time to make full use of it.

Hi Guys,

I am from western Sydney. Just wanted to ask you something. I am soon traveling to Nepal with my Phantom2. As its different hemisphere do I need to do anything special to fly it there? or just a simple compass calibration?

Thanks

Another Perthie here. I started using a P2V+ at work a couple of months ago for education purposes but ended up buying my own for fun purposes ;)

For those who have done the CASA certification, is there much work out there? I'd be interested to hear about the course and costs etc

Thanks
John

im from sydney i do alot of FLYOVERS firstly i do my SAFETY CHECKS if required for permission to FLYOVER i ask to me its common sense what you do ive been flying 12 months now so much to see from the air i will be soon getting a casa certifate

Hey Guys,

New on here. Been on https://www.facebook.com/groups/237078209830369/ for a while and have browsed these forums for a while, thought I better sign up here.

I have a Phantom 2 Vision Plus which I purchased though Just Hobbies. I have also assisted in getting another user addicted to the Phantom range in my area, so I know of us two, however if there are more around more that happy to meet up and go flying.

I post most of my videos here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
feel free to have a look and ask questions if required.

I am into it just as a hobby, however have always been interested in the commercial aspects of it, however due to costs etc haven't seen it being worth while.

I am a volunteer firefighter and have got some footage while hobby flying (not on duty / call). Would love to be able to provide the footage to the service for use, however due to CASA reg's I am limited.

Hey Guys,

I post most of my videos here:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
feel free to have a look and ask questions if required.

Hi there, i'm in Port Noarlunga and have three Vision Plus Phantoms. I'm also licensed to fly commercially as I use my Phantom's for survey work. I also have much larger UAV, wing span approx 2 metres with a 45 minutes flight time nicknamed Dingo.

Love to catch up one day if you are interested

For those who have done the CASA certification, is there much work out there? I'd be interested to hear about the course and costs etc

Thanks
John

I did my certification up to sub 20kgs with FPV Australia.
I can't sing their praises highly enough. Great company to use (tell them Trent sent you if you go with them).
They do courses right across the country if they get enough interest in an area. They certainly do the East Coast often enough, but I know they've done Perth.

Cost for me in Canberra was around $3850 plus an optional extra $200 per extra "Manufacturer's Training" to add different levels of certification to your final accreditation, so I got certified on the Inspire 1 and the S1000 as well, to bring my licence up first to the sub 7kg and then up to sub 20kgs classes. It means I can fly an S1000 without ever having to upgrade or add on to my licence. Certification on the Phantom is included in the first price, so if that's all you'll ever fly, you could forgo the extras.

The first day will make your brain explode, but from then on it's not too bad. It's well designed, run by people with a MASS of experience beyond anything we could dream of having, and the whole course was designed by people with Masters or PHD's in adult education, so you're guaranteed to learn whatever learning style you find works best for you, it covers nearly all of them.
And the relationship doesn't end after the course is finished, they're right behind their students with all sorts of support available into the future. Best decision I ever made.
If you already know some basics about map reading and navigating, and some basics about weather and flight theory, you'll find it a little easier.

I'll be going back to do my UOC with them in the not too distant future too (around about $1990 for the UOC from memory, plus CASA's fee for testing you. At the moment CASA don't let the companies do that part of the testing, where they do with the licence part).

According to the Instructors teaching the course, there's definitely work around and the Industry is growing more and more every day as people come up with more and more ways to make use of the technology, and I don't doubt them. So I'm pretty confident that your ability to make a living from it would only be limited by your own drive, enthusiasm, and imagination for ways to use them.

Feel free to PM me if you need more details, I'm more than happy to help in any way that I can.

And I'm in Canberra, so if there are any other flyers in this area, or within a couple of hours of here, then I'm happy to get together with others any time.

Reactions: Lofty Visions
Good info ezookiel. Thanks for that. I'm in Canberra (Dickson) too and have just bought a phantom 3. Still waiting for it to arrive. It will be my first experience with flying these things, although I do have a commercial pilot's licence for fixed wing aircraft. So I have done all the theory and the maps and stuff like that before.

Would be good to get together once I've masted the basics of RPA's

Interesting, so what does a commercial ops certificate give you that a standard hobbyist pilot can't do? If commercial rules are the same as hobby flying, there doesn't seem to be much benefit in applying for commercial approval

Hey guys,
just thought I'd drop in here and g'day.
I'm in the Yarra Valley here in Vic.

Just picked up my new P3A a few days ago after selling my old 1.1.1 with full FPV and mini iOSD system.
This is a much better, more integrated system and really looking forward to getting into it.

Cheers,
Matt

I'm in Melbourne, just bought a Phantom 2. Can anyone tell me where I could fly my Phantom legally and safely near Wantirna South? I had this chap coming up to me and warning me that I needed a permit and such stuff. I've checked the CASA rules and at this point, I don't feel the need to join a flying club. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
I fly along Dandy Creek and also the back of Jells Park

High Everyone!
I'm from Syd and I pee the shower.
I own a P3 Adv and a Hybrid P2Vplus with H33D and gopro3+.
I like driving around with range extender on wifi analyser to jack other Phantom 2's with open wifi's. This pisses them off because I see what they are filming whilst they get the notorious black screen. :)

Ping me if you have any issues.

Hey guys,
just thought I'd drop in here and g'day.
I'm in the Yarra Valley here in Vic.

Just picked up my new P3A a few days ago after selling my old 1.1.1 with full FPV and mini iOSD system.
This is a much better, more integrated system and really looking forward to getting into it.

Cheers,
Matt
Hey Matt, hows your P3A behaving? what FW version and Pilot app you're using? I am also in Yarra Valley area. cheers

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic