Australian Phantom Flyers!

Ok so I've watched a few how to vids on youtube and I've noticed a lot of people soddering wires. I was perplexed at first until I realised they were talking about soldering:)

I'm in Melbourne, just bought a Phantom 2. Can anyone tell me where I could fly my Phantom legally and safely near Wantirna South? I had this chap coming up to me and warning me that I needed a permit and such stuff. I've checked the CASA rules and at this point, I don't feel the need to join a flying club. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

I just read the REGs and you should be fine. Just keep in mind the 30m take off and landing exclusion zone when people are around and the sub 400 foot AGL limit. I read you can go above 400 feet in approved areas and they have maps on the CASA site for those.

Hi, I'm from Melbourne (Mornington Peninsula).
My Phantom 2 arrived about a month ago but I've been waiting since then for other bits and pieces to arrive. I've fitted a Zennuse H3.2D Gimbal, Fat Shark FPV. Circular Polarized Antenna System. Prop Guards, extra batteries and I'm just waiting for a GPS Tracker to arrive. I've put the system in a Pelican style hard case.

I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do. I've taken it to the local park three or four times and found it easy to fly but I haven't managed to get it to do a loop the loop yet!

tuentan said:
I'm in Melbourne, just bought a Phantom 2. Can anyone tell me where I could fly my Phantom legally and safely near Wantirna South? I had this chap coming up to me and warning me that I needed a permit and such stuff. I've checked the CASA rules and at this point, I don't feel the need to join a flying club. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

In Australia CASA control what, where and who can fly aircraft whether it be a UAV or an Airbus A380. As long as you're not flying it for profit (commercially) you can fly your AUV pretty much everywhere unless it is in controlled airspace; however, YOU are responsible for your actions. If you bring down an Air Ambulance because you were flying over an accident scene to get some footage. you will be blamed (whether you're technically at fault or not).

You can fly in in any public space, parks, beaches even city streets. You will be challenged (especially by officials, who don't know the law, this will also be by the police). You will have demands and threats thrown at you such as, "You're in breach of the Privacy Act". My answer to them is "Exactly, which part of the Privacy Act am I in breach of?". I'm a former University Lecturer and have written papers on the Australian Privacy Act, so I know what I'm talking about.

Neither the police nor anyone else can confiscate the UAV from you unless they have a warrant, if they do confiscate it, you'll be able to buy many more with the compensation you can claim. I had a camera confiscated from me by a police officer about 18 years ago, it cost them a great deal of money, the court settlement forbids me to reveal the terms of the settlement but I bought a brand new car and went on several holidays due to their kind generosity.

All I will say is, don't do anything stupid, stay safe. Look professional and never fly your UAV alone, always have a spotter with you and use clear and precise language between you. Flying a UAV and trying to spot at the same time is very similar to driving down Flinders Street in peak hour while trying to SMS on your phone. You can't drive safely and Text and you can't fly a UAV safely and Spot at the same time.

:roll: Some dickhead flying what is suspected to be a Phantom here in Newcastle has done the dumbest thing possible and nearly crashed into the local rescue helicopter when it was returning to it's base after a mission.
Here's the story from tonights local news broadcast;
http://www.nbnnews.com.au/index.php/201 ... h-a-drone/
And it was not me,I'm grounded at the moment.

Brisbane here.
If anyone is in or around Brisbane and wants to fly just shout.
Do any of you guys do FPV on the phantoms?

Any other Victorians (Melbournians??) planning on flying over the long weekend? I've been driving all week with my phantom in my work van looking for somewhere to go flying, but haven't had the time to stop. Now I've got a long weekend with no plans hopefully I can get out somewhere worthwhile and get some more flight time!

I'm in Melbourne, and I fly regularly along the Maribynong. Heaps of great parks along the river, although it does turn into a bit of a wind tunnel sometimes.

If any of you are having trouble still finding spots to fly, just look for your closest football oval and go there when it's only lightly used.

Hi all. Melbourne here, Knox. Have been flying in football/cricket ovals.
I got a vision 2 plus 2 few weeks ago. Weather has not helped much but had a few flights. Loving the stability of the camera and the DNG pictures.
It would be nice to meet other quad pilots (phantom or not) to exchange ideas, discuss mods etc.
So far the only mod I made was the wifi extender software and got some carbon fiber propellers.
Cheers

Beenleigh Here Guys ok http://www.danielspitstop.com.au this is our online shop mind you we get just as much walk in trade , we carry most spares in stock and do repairs we are an Aussie distributor for DJI we fly fpv on our phantom 2 and vision 2+ anyone want a new craft come see us , want to fly or get some info give me a call 0403545365 pete always open for a chat :D

I would get in touch with DJI and get them to udate their website because you're not on thier list of distributors. This is an important first stop for many inquiries.

Doono said:
Did you see CASA's rules for UAV's? If we abided by them we'd have lots of footage of trees and paddocks.
These rules make it illegal to fly anywhere close to home for me as there are airfields everywhere around me and if I move 5.5Klm in any direction I'm within 5.5Klm from another one.I'd have to travel at least 50 kilometers to get away from them all.
Anyone know where I can buy a small skull and cross bones flag to fly under my Phantom. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl