As per US Drone Regulations, what should be the next steps after buying a drone?

Reaction score
Can you help me out with the info. / relevant threads about the steps a beginner pilot should keep in mind after buying a Drone to fly legally in US?

(Removed the link of the article since the info. was not quite right and the intention was not to spread misinformation)

Last edited:
I'm not sure who wrote that, but I wish they had done better research. There are a couple of errors in the article. If you're going to put yourself out there as an information resource, you need to make sure you have correct information.

Two errors:

First; "Drone pilots should abide by the community-guidelines of that particular state". There are no state community guidelines. Anywhere. Telling someone to do that will create confusion. If they look for those guidelines and don't find them (they wont), they'll assume there aren't any.

Second; the age old incorrect information which we've been fighting in the media since the beginning. "Maintain at least a 5-mile distance from airports and helipads. Also, do not interfere with manned aircraft". This is just flat out wrong information.

And in going through some of his other articles, I believe they are located in India and are a click driven blog. And many of their article are full of 1/2 truths and overly vague regulation descriptions. In one article another article says contact police on the day of your flight and inform them of location. If you do that, all you're going to do is upset the local police dispatch.

This is a good example of making sure you know who is writing the blogs.

Luckily, unlike many click site blogs, I didn't find any dangerous errors. But it still has bad info in it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure who wrote that, but I wish they had done better research. There are a couple of errors in the article. If you're going to put yourself out there as an information resource, you need to make sure you have correct information.

Two errors:

First; "Drone pilots should abide by the community-guidelines of that particular state". There are no state community guidelines. Anywhere. Telling someone to do that will create confusion. If they look for those guidelines and don't find them (they wont), they'll assume there aren't any.

Second; the age old incorrect information which we've been fighting in the media since the beginning. "Maintain at least a 5-mile distance from airports and helipads. Also, do not interfere with manned aircraft". This is just flat out wrong information.

And in going through some of his other articles, I believe they are located in India and are a click driven blog. And many of their article are full of 1/2 truths and overly vague regulation descriptions. In one article another article says contact police on the day of your flight and inform them of location. If you do that, all you're going to do is upset the local police dispatch.

This is a good example of making sure you know who is writing the blogs.

Luckily, unlike many click site blogs, I didn't find any dangerous errors. But it still has bad info in it.
Hi Mossphotography,

Thanks for pointing out the errors. There is no wrong intention behind posting that blog here. It is written by one of our interns after doing his own research. It is just for our own side research and spreading the correct information. I felt that it is the right place to post such information. The article is now updated after verifying the information from the right sources. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Was thinking the same thing. Plus, the OP just joined the Forum an hour ago.
Hi captainmilehigh

I am following these forums from quite some time now for getting the info. I need. Now when there was some relevant content, thought of contributing that over here. If you think it is breaking any rule, I'll remove it.

Hi captainmilehigh

I am following these forums from quite some time now for getting the info. I need. Now when there was some relevant content, thought of contributing that over here. If you think it is breaking any rule, I'll remove it.

Unfortunately, following the forums will NOT give you the info you need when it comes to precise rules and guidelines.

Perhaps your research should center on the source of these drone regulations, such as the FAA or TCCA (Canada).

Then, with the correct information at hand, we welcome your comments and links to this verified information on the forums.

Reactions: Rishabh

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31