What is the next level: Advancing drone business

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am going to warn you, this may get a little long winded. Understand that while I am not new to drones, I am new to running a business. So strap in, and enjoy the ride.

I am really not sure how to start this. So in about January of this year, I saw some videos of the Mavic and was really impressed. Its size and portability, coupled with its camera, made it a very appealing package. Having been flying racing drones and other RC devices for the better part of ten years, I thought the Mavic, with its laid back controls, would be a nice change from the norm. But tere is a kicker: I am 20 and in college.

Now those two things, "20" and "in college", bring back a myriad of different emotions from those older than me. "Oh when I was college I only cared about _________". While some people will judge me for my age, I must defend myself, while trying not to be arrogant, and say that I am "different" (to be polite) than others my age and may not live the same way others did when they were in college. I am not bashing them, just different life choices, but back on topic. With the $1300 burning a hole in my pocket, I tried to devise any way for the Mavic to be mine. I then stumbled across a video a guy did of a house for sale in the mountains using a Mavic. LIGHTBULB!

I have family in real estate that could help open doors for me. So I scrounged up the money for a Mavic, studied like CRAZY for the Part 107 (I studied too much), and I was on my way. After getting all the tax and legal stuff out of the way, I started making videos. My first job allowed me to pay off the Mavic, after a month, I had enough to a P4P, now I am getting a Lumix GH5 to supplement my interior videos. All this in just a few short months. While the money I made couldnt put a dent in some of yalls six figures salaries, I am doing good for a young college student. The issue now is this: Where to proceed?

From my basic knowledge of business and stuff like that, you can see a general formula. Lets take a real estate company for instance. You open up and sell a few listings, your name gets out, sell a few more. After awhile, you go get come commercial listings, then start working with developers, and going up more and more doing different things that make more and more money. But with drones, the path has not yet been paved. Small time guys like me either seem to stop doing it, or go into the movie industry. But we hear of stories of people doing cell tower inspection, and things like that, yet the path to get those jobs is hidden in obscurity. While I am not looking to make $60,000 year, I can make some more money before the IRS limits me.

So to the people who do this "full time" or make a decent sum of money from drones and the industry that surround it, where should I go next? I have hit real estate pretty good. The videos are simple but can be elegant. I have worked with some small time production companies to provide drone footage for their short film which will be shown at Sundance. Beyond that is world unknown. With hurricane Irma rolled through, I tried to work with insurance agencies, but got no response. I mentioned cell tower inspection, what is the process of contracting out those jobs? I am starting to expand into more of the general video production than just the drone market. With the price of the drones dropping, the market is maybe 7 months to a year from being over saturated with others "just like me" (dont get me started on skill or talent) which means I must differentiate myself so that when that occurs, I stay on top. The only other issue is with the Phantom 4 Pro. When people think of drones, they think of the Phantom. But when rolling up to a set or shoot with a white Phantom, it seems to give off an armature vibe (despite it being overkill for most things). One of my clients asked why I dont use the Inspire 1. I told him that the Phantom shoots better footage than the Inspire and he was baffled. Part of me wants to upgrade to something like the Inspire 2 or Matrice 200 just for the more professional vibe they give off, as well as the new opportunities they present just by owning them.

So whats next?

Don't know, but I suspect the drone market will become much like the pro photographer's market where they've been undercut by technology that anyone carries in their pocket now.

I was reading about the new A.I. technology that can be built into phone cameras that can make any portrait like it came out of the studio with fill lights, hair lights, background bokeh, added, etc. at zero expense so everyone is a pro. Drones could go that route too with A.I. where a realtor drives up and the thing takes off and does the shooting and editing work by itself for nothing. Try and charge something for that if the drone tech cheapens to that of a "Studio-in-your-pocket" as with the cellphone.

Don't know, but I suspect the drone market will become much like the pro photographer's market where they've been undercut by technology that anyone carries in their pocket now.

I was reading about the new A.I. technology that can be built into phone cameras that can make any portrait like it came out of the studio with fill lights, hair lights, background bokeh, added, etc. at zero expense so everyone is a pro. Drones could go that route too with A.I. where a realtor drives up and the thing takes off and does the shooting and editing work by itself for nothing. Try and charge something for that if the drone tech cheapens to that of a "Studio-in-your-pocket" as with the cellphone.
I don't think we will ever get to a point in the foreseeable future where the powers that be will allow people to autonomously let a drone go up and take photos or videos.

Even if they could, AI will never be able to map out the environment and create something pleasing to view. By that I mean, each property has a unique layout that can be displayed in a pleasing manner. AI will never be able to go and decide what maneuvers would be the most visually pleasing.

I don't think we will ever get to a point in the foreseeable future where the powers that be will allow people to autonomously let a drone go up and take photos or videos.

Even if they could, AI will never be able to map out the environment and create something pleasing to view. By that I mean, each property has a unique layout that can be displayed in a pleasing manner. AI will never be able to go and decide what maneuvers would be the most visually pleasing.

They made that claim with self-driving cars and trucks too. Litchi and Autopilot are heading that way to fully autonomous flight now and smoother than most operators, and DJI seems to be feeding off their programming. Fully AI flight could happen sooner than we think and become consumerized (i.e. "Cheap.").

I think your time estimate to saturation is way over cooked in many areas of the US. In fact in many areas that marked was reached earlier this year and just continues to sit and "stew".

Differentiating is going to be the difference between a hobby that pays some (ok little) and a profitable career. No offense to you but there are so many high-school and college students who are doing this it's mind boggling. Add this to the wanna-be pilots, the middle age guys who hate their current jobs, the techies who have been "doing this" for decades (that's me) and you see this industry is getting saturated quickly. Keep in mind that Real Estate is the low hanging fruit and anyone (and just about everyone) is doing just that.

Read this phrase and memorize it (I didn't create it only copying it):

Niches Create RICHES!!

They made that claim with self-driving cars and trucks too. Litchi and Autopilot are heading that way to fully autonomous flight now and smoother than most operators, and DJI seems to be feeding off their programming. Fully AI flight could happen sooner than we think and become consumerized (i.e. "Cheap.").
I think on paper those concepts may seem similar, in reality they are apples and oranges. A car only has to follow a set path and avoid other cars and people. The objects they are avoiding (or attempting to) are large, whereas with a drone, a simple tree limb is enough to destabilize a rotor and cause a crash. All this is taking out the element of a specific pilots style of flying and filming.

I think your time estimate to saturation is way over cooked in many areas of the US. In fact in many areas that marked was reached earlier this year and just continues to sit and "stew".

Differentiating is going to be the difference between a hobby that pays some (ok little) and a profitable career. No offense to you but there are so many high-school and college students who are doing this it's mind boggling. Add this to the wanna-be pilots, the middle age guys who hate their current jobs, the techies who have been "doing this" for decades (that's me) and you see this industry is getting saturated quickly. Keep in mind that Real Estate is the low hanging fruit and anyone (and just about everyone) is doing just that.

Read this phrase and memorize it (I didn't create it only copying it):

Niches Create RICHES!!
Al, I agree. I think areas like New York, LA, etc, are already over saturated. Pretty much if you havent already made a name for yourself, you are screwed. As for hobby vs career, I agree. I am lucky that I pretty much only have to support myself and since I am still a dependent of my parents, the IRS limits the amount of money I can make. I do NOT plan on making this my career. I am a mechanical engineering major and have plans already set up, but drones are just a supplement. As for Real Estate, while it is my "bread and butter" currently, that is only because of me already having clients and the pay is good. I have done other things like commercials, films, and things like that. But your final statement is good, which is why I am writing this thread. I want to find some new niches so that I can explore them and see if its something I can specialize in. It's just hard to get into those markets because people hide the path they took (which may be for good reason).

Reactions: technics1200mk
. I want to find some new niches so that I can explore them and see if its something I can specialize in. It's just hard to get into those markets because people hide the path they took (which may be for good reason).

Yes for VERY good reason. I'll be the first to admit that I gave some "industry advice" to someone who ended up using that very advice to become my competition. I was trying to better the industry by being a mentor and ended up, LITERALLY, creating my own competition. Thank goodness when I saw his finished product it was evident that his skills were severely lacking and I've been hired to re-shoot several of his projects over the last couple of months. So your theory is solid.

One caveat to getting to the next level in this industry is going to be cost. NICHE industry requires a bit more equipment than a Mavic or P4. If you really want to get into Industrial Inspection you'll need to upgrade to something more like an Inspire 1 V2 in order to get thermal and Zoom capabilities. If you want to really get into cinematography I'd highly suggest getting an Inspire2 Pro Rez setup. Both of this include a fairly hefty price tag for getting started and both will require a fairly substantial "time/learning" investment as you'll need to be good at the trade before you offer your services. Not nearly the easy entry and R-E work is.

Yes for VERY good reason. I'll be the first to admit that I gave some "industry advice" to someone who ended up using that very advice to become my competition. I was trying to better the industry by being a mentor and ended up, LITERALLY, creating my own competition. Thank goodness when I saw his finished product it was evident that his skills were severely lacking and I've been hired to re-shoot several of his projects over the last couple of months. So your theory is solid.

One caveat to getting to the next level in this industry is going to be cost. NICHE industry requires a bit more equipment than a Mavic or P4. If you really want to get into Industrial Inspection you'll need to upgrade to something more like an Inspire 1 V2 in order to get thermal and Zoom capabilities. If you want to really get into cinematography I'd highly suggest getting an Inspire2 Pro Rez setup. Both of this include a fairly hefty price tag for getting started and both will require a fairly substantial "time/learning" investment as you'll need to be good at the trade before you offer your services. Not nearly the easy entry and R-E work is.

Yea I am just not impressed with the Inspire 1 V2 platform. I really enjoy the 4k at 60fps for more options in post and it would be hard to me to give that up. I might buy the Inspire 2 where I have the best of both worlds of the Phantom and Inspire platform, if only at the Phantom cost.....

Its just really hard for me to justify spending $10,000 on a platform that I am not sure if I can business in. Now if I had already done some inspections and stuff like that, maybe. Im not located in the same states as you, so you message me some tips if you want :)

Yea I am just not impressed with the Inspire 1 V2 platform. I really enjoy the 4k at 60fps for more options in post and it would be hard to me to give that up. I might buy the Inspire 2 where I have the best of both worlds of the Phantom and Inspire platform, if only at the Phantom cost.....
Inspire~1 is a work horse for the Inspection Industry (at least until you really start kicking it and move up into an M-class aircraft) but the Inspire~2 is the one for that person who is interested in the Cinematic world. They are different work horses and unfortunately limited interchangeability in cameras (Thermal is inspire~1 only no thermal solution for the I~2).

Inspire~1 is a work horse for the Inspection Industry (at least until you really start kicking it and move up into an M-class aircraft) but the Inspire~2 is the one for that person who is interested in the Cinematic world. They are different work horses and unfortunately limited interchangeability in cameras (Thermal is inspire~1 only no thermal solution for the I~2).
I just dont see any task that the Inspire 1 can do that the Phantom 4 Pro cannot. Besides Thermal.

Reactions: Advexure
I just dont see any task that the Inspire 1 can do that the Phantom 4 Pro cannot. Besides Thermal.

If you are going to do Industrial Inspection you'll need a system that can carry a "Real" camera for zooming in and fine detail. Also when we do some tasks we use dual operator to allow for more precision flying in tight situations.

I'm not trying to sell you on one way or another just trying to give you some real-world suggestions. You will figure out what tools you need and don't need as time goes along but the Inspire-1 is a workhorse of a machine with lots of flexibility.

If you are going to do Industrial Inspection you'll need a system that can carry a "Real" camera for zooming in and fine detail. Also when we do some tasks we use dual operator to allow for more precision flying in tight situations.

I'm not trying to sell you on one way or another just trying to give you some real-world suggestions. You will figure out what tools you need and don't need as time goes along but the Inspire-1 is a workhorse of a machine with lots of flexibility.
I agree that the Inspire platform is a workhorse. But if I had an Inspire 2, it could serve the role my phantom 4 pro serves, as well as other rolls like inspection. From videos I have seen of the Inspire 1, the optical zoom is abysmal. The RAW camera with digital zoom looked way better. Even the Phantom 4 Pro looked better. But maybe that was just that lens.

I agree that the Inspire platform is a workhorse. But if I had an Inspire 2, it could serve the role my phantom 4 pro serves, as well as other rolls like inspection. From videos I have seen of the Inspire 1, the optical zoom is abysmal. The RAW camera with digital zoom looked way better. Even the Phantom 4 Pro looked better. But maybe that was just that lens.

I've tried helping but you've already made up your mind. The I-2 doesn't have the same camera options as the I-1 but as you stated the I-2 might be the right aircraft for you. You and only you can make that decision.

I've tried helping but you've already made up your mind. The I-2 doesn't have the same camera options as the I-1 but as you stated the I-2 might be the right aircraft for you. You and only you can make that decision.
I am just discussing things with you, offering my opinion and weighing it against yours. I am not saying you are wrong. Given your post count and stuff like that, its obvious that you know more than me. I am just saying that from what I have scene, the Inspire 1 does not seem better than the Phantom 4 Pro. Now you are saying that it is, which means I will obliviously have to do more research. I have not made up my mind on what I want to do. If I had, I wouldnt have made this post on the forum. The ONLY reason I lean towards the I2 over the I1 is due to the fact that I want to serve the cinema industry, as well as industrial. Yes, the I-1 may be better at the Industry side, but it lacks the 4k at a high frame rate, the better codecs, and the 5.2k resolution that I would want for my film making and real estate/general marketing videos. Now, I want to EMPHASIZE the LEAN towards the I-2, I have not decided. I guess the main difference is the Thermal because all the camera gear is the same as the I-1, just better.

Understand that I am greatful that you are replying to me, nobody else is. So thank you!

The I-2 is an amazing Cinema Machine.

The I-1 with the right camera (the X3is pretty much the same as the Phantom3Pro) can do some amazing inspection work. But the I-2 is, as you've deducted, a Cinema platform and does so GREATLY!

You might ask some specific questions about this in:
DJI Inspire Drone Forum

The I-2 is an amazing Cinema Machine.

The I-1 with the right camera (the X3is pretty much the same as the Phantom3Pro) can do some amazing inspection work. But the I-2 is, as you've deducted, a Cinema platform and does so GREATLY!

You might ask some specific questions about this in:
DJI Inspire Drone Forum
Ok, thank you so much for the help!

Reactions: BigAl07
I think on paper those concepts may seem similar, in reality they are apples and oranges. A car only has to follow a set path and avoid other cars and people. The objects they are avoiding (or attempting to) are large, whereas with a drone, a simple tree limb is enough to destabilize a rotor and cause a crash. All this is taking out the element of a specific pilots style of flying and filming.

The amount of R&D that went into self-driving cars is incredible. Also, Amazon is pouring money into drones that do exactly that: avoid tree limbs and many other objects, static and dynamic, in 3-D (soon to be 4-D). If you have played around very much with DJI's Create tools, you'll see the promise of AI applied to taking and editing video. Over the next couple years you'll see the camera tech in phones and the AI from many other places merge into a drone platform that can take very good footage, present only a few shots for approval and then process good enough for many uses. In the US you'll still need to be certified and it will definitely take a bit of practice, but at a minimum, folks already in the RE business will be able to do many more jobs a day and thus the money you get paid goes down even more.

As you see drones go more into the industrial space, I would expect to see the type of work go from creative: setting up the shots and processing/production, into planning and oversight. That industry requires a ton of planning, coordination and safety requirements. For now, everyone is going to require multiple people to safely plan and execute an operation, even if the drone itself it mostly or completely automated.

Thanks for your thread and all the comments. I'm still evaluating if I can make money with my drones, but thinking about how it might evolve in the next couple years and identifying niches is exactly what I'm working on.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj