Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Finally had a chance to test. Did a back to back comparison between amped+l-coms vs blade-style antennas directly on the RC. 2500ft from the blades, and 6400ft from the amped l-coms. I'm sure I could have went quite a bit farther if I went higher, but kept the altitude @ 165ft for both. The blades dropped out periodically during the flight out, but the l-coms were rock solid until they lost the video signal. The radio was still connected so if I wanted to fly blind, I could have went further. The conditions at this site are pretty much as bad as they could be. The are two cell towers perpendicular to the run. The parking lot I was flying from is adjacent a hospital so there were lots of wi-fi signals and, of course, my path was over trees/forest at least 40-50ft high. So no complaints about the 2400SAX amps. I think they will pair well with the DBS02 antenna. The 2400LTX amps arrive tomorrow so I will try to test them from the same spot on Saturday. There's so much interference there, I don't know if there will be much difference.

Reactions: cstout
Finally had a chance to test. Did a back to back comparison between amped+l-coms vs blade-style antennas directly on the RC. 2500ft from the blades, and 6400ft from the amped l-coms. I'm sure I could have went quite a bit farther if I went higher, but kept the altitude @ 165ft for both. The blades dropped out periodically during the flight out, but the l-coms were rock solid until they lost the video signal. The radio was still connected so if I wanted to fly blind, I could have went further. The conditions at this site are pretty much as bad as they could be. The are two cell towers perpendicular to the run. The parking lot I was flying from is adjacent a hospital so there were lots of wi-fi signals and, of course, my path was over trees/forest at least 40-50ft high. So no complaints about the 2400SAX amps. I think they will pair well with the DBS02 antenna. The 2400LTX amps arrive tomorrow so I will try to test them from the same spot on Saturday. There's so much interference there, I don't know if there will be much difference.
That sounds good after all the extra work. What I like on the LTE/LTX is that they got seperate indicators for Tx and Rx and the USB connection for measuring Tx. Your area seems difficult!

@GadgetGuy @wassala! OK, got some info fellas. I was wrong about 5V, this particular revision is indeed 12V. If you are powering from the jack, either with a plug or soldering, then resistor R9 needs to be removed. This is providing you have the same board revision as I do. 130200 rev D. The pot at R18 is the one that sets average output power, but there's no detent, etc so you would need to scope the output if you're going to fiddle with it (I have no plans to). Schematic attached.

I'm now waiting on a 12V lipo to retest. If you guys beat me to it, then post results!
Hey! This is a great news!
So all I have to do is to cut out the R9 and power the board with 12v right?

W la figa

128c87962dd9ba466cd9d8848da91565.jpg

3266e97b0295341552d7079188e92d32.jpg

W la figa

Side question: does anyone know where to buy the transparent gel they used to impermeabilze the board?

W la figa

Side question: does anyone know where to buy the transparent gel they used to impermeabilze the board?

W la figa
Nope. You don't need it unless you're planning on using it in the rain or leaving it out.

So all I have to do is to cut out the R9 and power the board with 12v right?

Yeah, basically. If you're going to mess with the resistor itself, then de-solder it or you risk pulling up the trace. For myself, I left it in place but cut the wavy trace that it attaches to. That's the power input side if you're using a DC injector. Just be careful that you don't cut or damage the other side which is the radio input.

@all
Just did a test with the 2400LTX with pretty much the same result as the 2400SAXU. At my test site there is too much interference on the Rx side so that seems to be the limiting factor, at least with the omni antennas. But for my purposes, everything is working great! At some point, I will head out to the "country" and see how they both do in the trees, but without the interfering Wi-Fi signals / cell towers. For portability, the 2400SAXUs are not bad at all, but the 2400LTXs are too bulky to be practical for anything other than a dedicated station / car unit.

Nope. You don't need it unless you're planning on using it in the rain or leaving it out.

Yeah, basically. If you're going to mess with the resistor itself, then de-solder it or you risk pulling up the trace. For myself, I left it in place but cut the wavy trace that it attaches to. That's the power input side if you're using a DC injector. Just be careful that you don't cut or damage the other side which is the radio input.

@all
Just did a test with the 2400LTX with pretty much the same result as the 2400SAXU. At my test site there is too much interference on the Rx side so that seems to be the limiting factor, at least with the omni antennas. But for my purposes, everything is working great! At some point, I will head out to the "country" and see how they both do in the trees, but without the interfering Wi-Fi signals / cell towers. For portability, the 2400SAXUs are not bad at all, but the 2400LTXs are too bulky to be practical for anything other than a dedicated station / car unit.
Great thanks!

About the gel I would like to use it for other purposes. Do you know where can I buy it or the name of that gel? (then I will search it on Google)

Did you compare these boosters to the Sunhans? I have the Maxx range boosted kit already installed. I will replace the Sunhans boosters with these ones.

W la figa

Great thanks!

About the gel I would like to use it for other purposes. Do you know where can I buy it or the name of that gel? (then I will search it on Google)

Did you compare these boosters to the Sunhans? I have the Maxx range boosted kit already installed. I will replace the Sunhans boosters with these ones.

W la figa
No, I'm afraid I don't know the name. Sorry!

I don't own the Sunhans amps so I don't know how these compare. Very interested to hear your results tho!

No, I'm afraid I don't know the name. Sorry!

I don't own the Sunhans amps so I don't know how these compare. Very interested to hear your results tho!
yeah. Let Us hear your results so we van compare. Which Sunhans amps you got?

@all
The 2400LTX and 2400SAXU should give different results given the specs. Curious to hear your "country side test". I use the 2400LTE for the car and the 2400LTX on top of our office roof as station.

@all
Die you cinnect via USB and measure you Tx output from the Radio?
Another important thing: Th 2400LTX are by default set to 1W only. You van adjust to 4W via USB! This makes big difference on Tx.

Die you cinnect via USB and measure you Tx output from the Radio?
Another important thing: Th 2400LTX are by default set to 1W only. You van adjust to 4W via USB! This makes big difference on Tx.

Ok, I'll look into that. I didn't adjust anything so they are on the stock setting. I can see how a directional antenna would probably do better in this circumstance due to all the sources of interference. The radio was still connected but the video would drop out entirely and then randomly pick back up. Still, the 2400SAX and LTX more than doubled the stock range in the same environment so I have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I'll look into that. I didn't adjust anything so they are on the stock setting. I can see how a directional antenna would probably do better in this circumstance due to all the sources of interference. The radio was still connected but the video would drop out entirely and then randomly pick back up. Still, the 2400SAX and LTX more than doubled the stock range in the same environment so I have no complaints.

It was a positiv surpruse for me because in the manus it told it should be 4W as default. I made some new measurements afterwards and it has gute effect on the Tx gain. What I saw though was that my radio in best case only gave 8dbm using different Cables. When using a 30m long Lmr400 I was down at -23dbm! So for long Cables I use Another 1W 2400LGE to keep the signal level up and compensate the Cable. The measurement function of the 2400LTX/LTE is a great help as it displays what really reaches to the amp after all the Cables, injector and connectors. The long Cable explains why my amps didn't amplify much because mötet amps need at least -12 to 2dbm to actually amplify something. I use the amp now also as Cable tester. I already found one faulty connector.
Curious to hear your further test results.

Any new tests?

Hey guys. So I've been following along for a while now and I'm at the point now where I want to install a permanent long range set up in my Jeep. Something where I can sit in the Jeep, plug my controller into and go (fairly) nuts. I'm thinking more along the lines of omni antennas because I'll be stationary and the terrain and ability to position/move the vehicle is limited, so directional won't work that well I don't believe. Anyway, speaking to me as someone who basically knows nothing about the topic, from start to finish what items should I be looking for to make this project happen. From connectors to cables to antenna types to amps, exactly what do I need for my setup?

Thanks in advance.

Hey guys. So I've been following along for a while now and I'm at the point now where I want to install a permanent long range set up in my Jeep. Something where I can sit in the Jeep, plug my controller into and go (fairly) nuts. I'm thinking more along the lines of omni antennas because I'll be stationary and the terrain and ability to position/move the vehicle is limited, so directional won't work that well I don't believe. Anyway, speaking to me as someone who basically knows nothing about the topic, from start to finish what items should I be looking for to make this project happen. From connectors to cables to antenna types to amps, exactly what do I need for my setup?
Thanks in advance.

There is many ways to achieve this of course... but some basic thoughts to be made upfront:

1. Omni antennas are actually not omnidirectional if refering to the "stick" type antennas. The vertical beam decreases with the dbi increasing. If your vehicle is not levelled it can happen that your "omnidirectional" antenna points to the ground.
A certain adjustment of leveling should be considered. If you want to use directional antennas you need to follow the drone. If you want to go for this you need a pan/tilt unit and a joystick control. (600$ and more..)
2. Amplifiers: This depends on mainly the penetration you need rather than range. Even cheaper amps can give you enough power to fly LOS until your battery is critical low but penetration is a far more complex thing in the 2.4GHZ band.
It depends on how much you want to invest. You can get Sunhans as cheap solution (or other cheap) or L-com (just as example) if you want to maximize control.
3. Mast mounted: Depending on the hieeght of bushes an trees around you need to consider using a mounting system that can be quite leveled and maybe even elevated above height of surrounding botanic. Trees can be a serious obstacle for signals. Not to speak of rocks... I got a tripod for the car and a 9m mast for the van. This one is telescopic and weighs in total over 80kg.... but since then I don't need to care much where I park. There is easier light weight solutions with mechanical telescopic construction. However, all mast mounted solutions must be leveled when extended.;)
4. Cables: Get flexible cables of at least LMR240 or similar. Better amps and many antennas use N-connector type so you need a cable from your RC to the amps (they should be near antenna at least on the Rx (receiving part). If you sit in a car than flexible cables from the RC are really great. I tried with normal LMR240 and got the plastic from the RC almost ripped off. Good is to use a tablet holder (alu or steel type) mounted somehwere in the car. You then don't need to install everytime you wantto use the RC.

For a jeep a light weight mechanical system with omi- antennas and amplifiers will do 90% of the missions. If you really want to go long range and got hilly terrain it will take more.

Reactions: ebi718
Any new tests?

Been traveling for work so I haven't had a chance to mess with the LTX amps unfortunately. I have a couple weeks off in October so I'll definitely have some time then!

UPDATE - ok, the aluminum casing is really soft so it's easy to drill through. I was able to expose the jacks with minimal damage to the center pin. If I had it to do over again, I would just stick with my direct solder plan. I started to widen the exterior ground hole and when I saw how easily the case was cutting I thought I would try to expose the jacks. It can be done, but it would have looked much cleaner to widen the ground hole and feed in a USB cord. Anyway, I'm one step closer, now it's just a matter of waiting for cables to arrive!
d9cec88529ce2725e7f402805ae0bbdb.jpg

To my believe that pwr source is 5v dc? And how much amp? Is it possible to use a battery backup for mobile use?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

To my believe that pwr source is 5v dc? And how much amp? Is it possible to use a battery backup for mobile use?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

They are actually 12V. I'm using a small LiPo battery pack designed with two 2.1mm X 5mm jacks so they are fine for mobile use(max draw is 2A), just a little bulkier than the Sunhans amps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav