Antenna jungle - inventory - What's out there?

Whoa! I missed that part. Must be coming from China or something. :-/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered both sets, and will then get a chance to see whether the RG58 is indeed better, when it finally arrives, just in time for Halloween! :rolleyes:

Reactions: jhax01
Great! I bought 2 from the ebay seller. I should receive them in a few days. I have the amplified Maxx range kit of Jake. It's time for some testing! Did you test them i why the immersive rc power meter?

W la figa
It would be interesting to see real world test results and power meter tests.

No, I haven't hooked them up yet, still waiting on cables to mod my radio and to get everything connected, but IBV has a similar model that is rated at the same power level. He pitted them against the Sunhans amps and there was a 12dbm difference, which is exponentially better. Under ideal conditions, you are doubling your output every 3dbm.

yes. The Sunhans had some good gain but the 2400LGE from Rf-linx 12db more gain on my set-up.
Maybe I should mention that this was receive gain not Tx.

Reactions: Turbomania
RG58 cable is not good. Go for a Lmr240 if not 20m or more.

Ok, may have to get something made then. It's less than a foot but I've only been able to find rg58 or rg316.

yes. The Sunhans had some good gain but the 2400LGE from Rf-linx 12db more gain on my set-up.
Maybe I should mention that this was receive gain not Tx.
So that's the FPV link, right? That's the most important one! I hate flying blind! :eek:

yes. Me too!
The FPV side is also severely limited by the aircraft output, where no amplification of the power output is practical, so anything which substantially improves the "hearing aid" signal quality on the receiver side is a huge benefit to video stability.:cool:

Here new photos from the "smaller" tripod antenna system.
I made the various antenna systems modulary so I can change from small to big and from mobile to truck mounted easily. The pictures earlier in this thread show the bossted panel antennas (14dbi with Sunhans 2W) The following pictures are the big antenna rig with both directional (20dbi panels) and 12dbi omni antennas (1,5m long). This system is boosted by serious RF-linx 4W amps with automatic gain control (2400LTE). On the picture is also the Tripod (loudspeaker stand) with a distribution box for the various voltages and RS485 data link to the pan/tilt unit (I took it down inside the house as the room is not high enough). The distribution box is connected with two multicore cables to the car (or house) . There they are connected to the power (12V or 230V) unit and interfaces for screen, PC, joystick controller and chargers. Via this I can either sit in the van/house or stand outside directly at the tripod. All connectors fit to each other and I don't need to take too much time to connect all. The pan/tilt unit I only need if I use the higher mast or if I get the antennas up with the tripod. It's handy to follow with the joystick.
WP_20160917_12_43_23_Pro.jpg
WP_20160917_12_43_32_Pro.jpg
WP_20160917_12_43_46_Pro.jpg
WP_20160917_12_43_58_Pro.jpg
WP_20160917_12_44_42_Pro.jpg

Cables to mod my radio should be delivered today so hopefully I'll be able to test out the amps and l-coms tomorrow! Found a better set of cables for the DBS as well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y...F8&qid=1474143489&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Also ordered a pair of these for the radio side - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y...F8&qid=1474143674&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Wish I would have searched harder to begin with so I didn't waste $$. At least the other cables I've bought were cheaper.

I have the perfect spot picked to test. I consistently get 2800 ft there due to trees. The antenna mods will be worth it to fly from my car regardless, but it would be nice to get a little extra range too.

Reactions: GadgetGuy and IBV
Cables to mod my radio should be delivered today so hopefully I'll be able to test out the amps and l-coms tomorrow! Found a better set of cables for the DBS as well - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y...F8&qid=1474143489&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Also ordered a pair of these for the radio side - https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00Y...F8&qid=1474143674&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65

Wish I would have searched harder to begin with so I didn't waste $$. At least the other cables I've bought were cheaper.

I have the perfect spot picked to test. I consistently get 2800 ft there due to trees. The antenna mods will be worth it to fly from my car regardless, but it would be nice to get a little extra range too.

Curious to hear your test results!

Curious to hear your test results!

Yeah, me too....It's RAINING! lol. Well, everything is together, radio is modded, just have to wait for a break in the weather. I've powered everything up and one of the amps stays in receive mode (red led), that seems normal to me; however, the other one does not light up green (transmit mode) with everything powered on. Not sure what to make of that yet since I can't really do a test. Full bars on radio/video, but I imagine that would be the case even with no antenna attached at 15 feet indoors.

Here new photos from the "smaller" tripod antenna system.
I made the various antenna systems modulary so I can change from small to big and from mobile to truck mounted easily. The pictures earlier in this thread show the bossted panel antennas (14dbi with Sunhans 2W) The following pictures are the big antenna rig with both directional (20dbi panels) and 12dbi omni antennas (1,5m long). This system is boosted by serious RF-linx 4W amps with automatic gain control (2400LTE). On the picture is also the Tripod (loudspeaker stand) with a distribution box for the various voltages and RS485 data link to the pan/tilt unit (I took it down inside the house as the room is not high enough). The distribution box is connected with two multicore cables to the car (or house) . There they are connected to the power (12V or 230V) unit and interfaces for screen, PC, joystick controller and chargers. Via this I can either sit in the van/house or stand outside directly at the tripod. All connectors fit to each other and I don't need to take too much time to connect all. The pan/tilt unit I only need if I use the higher mast or if I get the antennas up with the tripod. It's handy to follow with the joystick.View attachment 64968 View attachment 64969 View attachment 64970 View attachment 64971 View attachment 64972
Looks like you are controlling the Curiosity Rover on Mars! JPL eat your heart out!

Reactions: IBV
Yeah, me too....It's RAINING! lol. Well, everything is together, radio is modded, just have to wait for a break in the weather. I've powered everything up and one of the amps stays in receive mode (red led), that seems normal to me; however, the other one does not light up green (transmit mode) with everything powered on. Not sure what to make of that yet since I can't really do a test. Full bars on radio/video, but I imagine that would be the case even with no antenna attached at 15 feet indoors.

Make sure always to attach an antenna! You can seriously damage the amp or RC without antenna on the Tx! The red light is correct. Test if it is also red without the bird switched on. Then it is triggered by some other 2.4Ghz equipment (Wifi). This is normal. On the other hand there should be a green Tx light once you switched on the RC. If not, something is strange.Make sure you always got antenna.

Make sure always to attach an antenna! You can seriously damage the amp or RC without antenna on the Tx! The red light is correct. Test if it is also red without the bird switched on. Then it is triggered by some other 2.4Ghz equipment (Wifi). This is normal. On the other hand there should be a green Tx light once you switched on the RC. If not, something is strange.Make sure you always got antenna.

Yeah no worries, I know better than to do that! I was commenting that at that range, full bars doesn't really equate to anything.

At any rate, I ended up testing the amps on my computer's wifi so they appear to operate normally. Tho the throughput wasn't good when I did speed testing. I'm surmising that it's because the l-com's are too close to the router and the beam width too narrow. Hope that's the case anyway. The green light was extremely dim so I'm not sure it will be visible under normal lighting conditions. I'm hoping for a small gap in the rain so I can make at least one test run today.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers