Almost Had A Bad Incident

Reaction score
Hi Everybody...

First off, Hope you all had a good weekend.

Secondly this... Was flying my P4P and it almost flew away on me. I had some neighborhood friends with me to watch my drone. I was showing them a RTH and flew a couple hundred feet away at a low altitude, about 90 or so feet I'm guessing. After hitting RTH the bird rose another 10 or so feet (had the RTH altitude set low on purpose for this example) and then started to RTH. It got home and started descending when it accelerated and started to fly away. I realized something wasn't quite right and immediately took control and manually landed. Actually I also have a video of the incident from my neighbor's cell phone.

Link to video.... Auto Land Bail Out .MOV

I'd like someone to explain to me what happen and how to prevent this....

Have been flying my old P3P for over a year and that bird has been rock solid.
Also my newer P4P is about 3 months old and WAS rock solid until now.
I have not flown my P4P since this incident which occurred this past Friday, the 8th.

Thank Again !! Steve

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2017-09-08_[18-46-28].txt
    536.5 KB · Views: 390
I was thinking that, however UAV Forecast pegged the Kp at 6. I know you are not supposed to fly when it's over 5.... Perhaps my bad.

Reactions: lil boss
It got home and started descending when it accelerated and started to fly away.
Your Phantom started flying away from the home point as soon as the precision landing feature started locating the landing point. Did you take off from a landing pad? If not, I'm assuming the precision landing feature was having trouble locating the landing point since you took off from a large grassy area.

Location.jpg

We were in the middle of a geomagnetic storm that day, strongest we've had in like 10 years. Wonder if it had something to do with it.

Actually I had an incident earlier where I was showing off a RTH Precision landing and it landed a good 8 feet from the actual take off spot. Weird.... In retrospect I should have stopped there...

Actually I had an incident earlier where I was showing off a RTH Precision landing and it landed a good 8 feet from the actual take off spot
Was that landing point in a large grassy area too?

Your Phantom started flying away from the home point as soon as the precision landing feature started locating the landing point. Did you take off from a landing pad? If not, I'm assuming the precision landing feature was having trouble locating the landing point since you took off from a large grassy area.

View attachment 88048
WOW.. Great question... Had many flights that day... this of course was my last, as I bailed on flying after incident. I do not remember if I took off from the landing pad. I usually take off from a pad, but not always. I know I took off from the pad for the very 1st incident where the Precision Landing landed about 8 feet from the pad. Sorry I am sketchy on the detail of the incident.

Actually I had an incident earlier where I was showing off a RTH Precision landing and it landed a good 8 feet from the actual take off spot. Weird.... In retrospect I should have stopped there...
NO, That I am positive took off from the pad. I did the auto take off, and hit the take a picture of the take off area.

I just watched your video above and see the landing pad on the ground at the end of the video. I'm highly skeptical of the geomagnetic storm theory that people sometimes blame. It looks like the downward sensors failed to assist in locating the landing spot (not sure why).

I checked out the video and at the end when I manually landed you can see 2 pads there... That does not mean I took off from the pad, but they were nearby in the picture where the bird was descending....

LOL..I must have been posting this as you posted... Great minds think a like ??

I just watched your video above and see the landing pad on the ground at the end of the video. I'm highly skeptical of the geomagnetic storm theory that people sometimes blame. It looks like the downward sensors failed to assist in locating the landing spot (not sure why).
Could the strobes mounted on the rear have conflicted with the downwards sensors ???

Attachments

• 20170911_062203.jpg
    20170911_062203.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 386
That does not mean I took off from the pad, but they were nearby in the picture where the bird was descending
If you look at the beginning of the flight log I linked above, you can see your Phantom was 3.9 feet away from the home point on takeoff. It looks like you turned it on, moved it 4 feet, and then took off. Comparing the home point distance at the beginning and end of your flight, it looks like you probably took off from the grass next to the landing pad.

Could the strobes mounted on the rear have conflicted with the downwards sensors ???
I doubt it.

I like your mount. Did you make it?

If you look at the beginning of the flight log I linked above, you can see your Phantom was 3.9 feet away from the home point on takeoff. It looks like you turned it on, moved it 4 feet, and then took off. Comparing the home point distance at the beginning and end of your flight, it looks like you probably took off from the grass next to the landing pad.
Good Point... But if I did move it, does the bird automatically reset the home point to the last last take off, which would have been from the grassy area?? Also, could it have been a compass error caused the take off are being too close to the vehicles which were parked in the dirt area bottom left picture from flight log ??

But if I did move it, does the bird automatically reset the home point to the last last take off
No. The home point is never automatically reset after it's set.

could it have been a compass error caused the take off are being too close to the vehicles which were parked in the dirt area bottom left picture from flight log
No. It looks like it just failed to locate the landing site.

No. The home point is never automatically reset after it's set.

No. It looks like it just failed to locate the landing site.
OK... Well it looks like I'll check all the settings, sensors, etc. and if all is well I will cautiously fly the P4P again which should be this evening.
Thanks for your help. I learned some new things today. You, and everyone else have a nice day.

OK... Well it looks like I'll check all the settings, sensors, etc. and if all is well I will cautiously fly the P4P again which should be this evening.
Thanks for your help. I learned some new things today. You, and everyone else have a nice day.
I agree with msinger's thoughts.
Your Phantom came back to almost directly above the home point and at 47 ft up went to Precision Landing - locating landing point and started to drift off, getting 23 feet away before you cancelled.
There's no hint of a compass error or interference from solar flare activity.
The Phantom simply had trouble finding anything it could recognise on a sea of fuzzy green grass.
Try again where there is a distinct pattern/texture it can work with and you'll be fine.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl