bad battery or bad gps??

Reaction score
hello
im trying to figure out the cause of what is going on with my p4p; during rth without any obstacle in its route it started rising whihout any stick input giving me a message about oa that are temporary inactive. searched for potential causes, thought battery was about to give up so i gave it another one. later in logs i saw a message about a geo message in the beggining of the event stream.. i think that this message is everywhere.. havent seen that message before either.

im attatching the log from airdata.. if somebody could shed some light i would be very greatful

hello
im trying to figure out the cause of what is going on with my p4p; during rth without any obstacle in its route it started rising whihout any stick input giving me a message about oa that are temporary inactive. searched for potential causes, thought battery was about to give up so i gave it another one. later in logs i saw a message about a geo message in the beggining of the event stream.. i think that this message is everywhere.. havent seen that message before either.
Neither GPS, nor a low battery would have been able to cause uncommanded climbing.
The usual cause is obstacle avoidance climbing when it misidentifies a low, bright sun as an obstacle and tries to fly over it.
None of the messages were related to the climbing.

The usual cause is obstacle avoidance climbing when it misidentifies a low, bright sun as an obstacle and tries to fly over it.
theres a message about oa not working.. 🤔
did a sensor recalibration just in case
as i did every single other calibration as well

theres a message about oa not working.. 🤔
did a sensor recalibration just in case
as i did every single other calibration as well
Your Phantom started climbing at 11:31.8 and levelled out at 11:41.4
That message was at 11:43.6, just one second before you cancelled the RTH and brought the drone down manually.
Obstacle Avoidance was working during the climbing incident.

Did it climb to your preset height for RTH? If so, that’s normal. If not it seems something interfered with or blocked the OA bottom sensor.

It was already higher than the RTH height and there was no issue with the VPS sensors.
sorry to bring that up as im trying to understand how this system works..

how can the sun make a drone to gain altitude?? i know about reflections but if its flying lets say 100m over the sea.. how can it be possible to interfere with vps sensors as they are inactive at that height??

how can the sun make a drone to gain altitude?? i know about reflections but if its flying lets say 100m over the sea.. how can it be possible to interfere with vps sensors as they are inactive at that height??
The VPS has nothing to do with it.
I only mentioned VPS because #5 mentioned that as a possible explanation.
The issue is that your forward looking obstacle avoidance sensors can falsely identify a low, bright sun as an obstacle and try to climb past it.
If you aren't in an environment where obstacle avoidance might be needed, disable obstacle avoidance and you won't have this issue.

The VPS has nothing to do with it.
I only mentioned VPS because #5 mentioned that as a possible explanation.
The issue is that your forward looking obstacle avoidance sensors can falsely identify a low, bright sun as an obstacle and try to climb past it.
If you aren't in an environment where obstacle avoidance might be needed, disable obstacle avoidance and you won't have this issue.
it said that oa isnt working (no braking) and after that it gained altitude.. 🤔

it said that oa isnt working (no braking) and after that it gained altitude.. 🤔
You only had two messages about obstacle sensing not working.
One was 30 seconds before the end of the flight as you started descending.
The other was right at the end of teh flight and it also mentioned that the reason OA was not working, was because the light was too low.
That doesn't mean that OA was not working during the flight.

You only had two messages about obstacle sensing not working.
One was 30 seconds before the end of the flight as you started descending.
The other was right at the end of teh flight and it also mentioned that the reason OA was not working, was because the light was too low.
That doesn't mean that OA was not working during the flight.
youre right.. but what you think was the cause of altitude gain during rth?? was it because it was flying over water or maybe because forward motion sun hit the sensors causing altitude gain??

youre right.. but what you think was the cause of altitude gain during rth?? was it because it was flying over water or maybe because forward motion sun hit the sensors causing altitude gain??
Having flown thousands of miles over water, without any altitude variation problems, I would discount that as a possible cause.
The most common cause of similar incidents is the drone identifying a low, bright sun as an abstacle and trying to avoid by flying higher.

Reactions: xrider
The most common cause of similar incidents is the drone identifying a low, bright sun as an abstacle and trying to avoid by flying higher.
flight took place at 9 am.. it was flying at 34m when rth initiated (its set at 30m) it started coming back gaining altitude.. by the time it hit 50m i took control.. brought it back and landed..

flight took place at 9 am.. it was flying at 34m when rth initiated (its set at 30m) it started coming back gaining altitude.. by the time it hit 50m i took control.. brought it back and landed..
Aren't you the same person with an uncommanded climb in the Mavic forum?

Reactions: xrider
Aren't you the same person with an uncommanded climb in the Mavic forum?
yes.. and that was the cause that ive brought that back.. back then ive performed sensors calibration to p4 and everything went back to normal after that incident.. but with m3 is way different as i cannot perform sensors calibration.. im about to give a .dat in the other forum i was asked to..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4