Aerial mapping software advice - pix4D ? Advice please

Reaction score
Hi - I need to do some mapping with my DJI Phantom 2 Vision+. Just basic maps of wildlife reserves from multiple images.

I've had a go with the free pix4D app and it's really good: Mission_00002_0001 by Pix4D SA. - 3D model

Does anyone know of any other software that works with this model of drone? The full pix4D software is really expensive! Or is there a workaround using the images taken?

If you've got the hardware to process the images there are other aps you can get to acquire them for free but most of the time your "fees" go into the image processing.

Thanks for the advice - I've already spent whole days trying to sort stuff on photoshop and Mapinfo :) We are a charity, so the annual cost is a bit steep even with a non-commercial discount.

Assume you have tried Maps Made Easy. This is free for maps up to 102 images, including download of the products.

I have built a cradle and timing capture device for the Emlid Reach RTK/PPK unit. When fitted on my Phantom 4 it captures precise timing and raw GPS data for post processed RTK (can capture RTK but why carry the extra weight?).
With this on my P4 I get sub 50cm agreement between my orthomosiac and my reference points.
With a single GCP at the launch site and then applying a global shift this comes down to sub 25cm.
in MME the benefits from just RTK positioning are not realised as well as in a program where you can set the postitioning accuracy of the images, but MME is pretty good.

Hi - I found that Pix4Capture did the job until they started to charge for processing in the cloud. Since then I've upgraded and use precisionmapper as I get 5 free maps per month - and there is no limit to the size.

Reactions: BigAl07
Hi - I found that Pix4Capture did the job until they started to charge for processing in the cloud. Since then I've upgraded and use precisionmapper as I get 5 free maps per month - and there is no limit to the size.

Is precisionmapper the name of the Ap or the name of the service? Is there a monthly fee for the 5 (free) maps?

Hi Wildlifejosh,

If your work is truly for charity and non-commercial, we can possibly help you out at little or no cost.

Please email me at [email protected].

Thanks and Regards,
Dave

Have you tried opendronemap, it's a bit complex to install but awesome, it's what I use

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20