Advice for screw-post adhesive?

Reaction score
Hey all,

My new gimbal / camera replacement package is coming today, so I've been working on the removing the old parts this morning. The gimbal removal was simple, especially with this helpful video (though I had to break one of the plastic gimbal clips).

While waiting, I'm looking at the other part in need of repair, a landing gear. I've attached two images below. The first is of the healthy screw-holes for one side. The second image is the other side, in which the inset nut has come out from the shell. Rather than replace the shell, I'd like to just glue that part back in. Is there an appropriate adhesive to use for this?

Also on the 2nd image you might see the crack near the other nut going toward the bottom-left corner of the center opening, even though that nut is still in the shell-hole. Can the same adhesive be applied to that crack to ensure that it stays put? Note: I typically hand-catch land.

Thanks for all tips,
Chris / Speck

LG-Healthy.jpg
LG-Damaged.jpg

Plat-aid, Bondic and other UV activated glues are available to repair plastic parts.

Are you familiar with JB Weld? It is a 2 part epoxy that works well on plastics and metals. It is available at Lowes and Home Depot. (put a spare screw in the knurled nut for 2 reasons..... 1 so that you can handle and maneuver the nut while gluing.... 2 so that excess adhesive does not enter and foul the threads)

Not sure how much plastic solvent glues will help since it's a plastic-on-metal joint...That Bondic stuff looks interesting, though. Have you used it?

My knee-jerk reaction was epoxy since there are some that stick to metal pretty well. The bummer is that you can't really surround it without screwing up the flat surface the skid needs to sit on....I wonder if you couldn't cram the nut back in there and then hit it (carefully) with a soldering iron until the plastic around it softens up enough to "re-grab" the nut.

EDIT: didn't see the prior response....yeah, what he said.

Devcon FasMetal 10 HVAC 19770... its a metal infused epoxy that when dry is like fused glass.... very very good epoxy...

I like the JB Weld idea. There are different types of JB Weld but I just use the original, and it adheres to almost anything type of material.

My well-tested favourite in such repairs or metal-to-plastic assemblies is 3M Scotch-Weld 2216 epoxy. Hard to find, try ebay/Amazon, comes in toothpaste size tubes as well ... not cheap though, but probably the most advanced adhesive around ... used to glue Apache copter blades core, aluminum aerospace parts, NASA stuff ... Put this aluminium nut on a longer spare M3 screw, remove any remaining plastic from center groove, try dry fit (should snap on snuggly), remove, apply the epoxy around to both the nut and the nest (not too much, but make sure the nut's groove is filled), insert the nut, let it sit for a few minutes, remove any excess of epoxy with fresh toothpick and let it sit in peace for 72hrs ... excellent working time, plenty of time to make the fix ... Guaranteed performance ...
2216 Cartridge epoxy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31