A very sad night

I have posted several times warning regarding this battery issue . It is very risky (close monitoring of the battery level is critical) to fly on not fully charged or previously used battery even if it indicates around 90% of power left. The power level could drop in seconds ;I think this is not battery issue,but smart battery electronics.

Paul K said:
I have posted several times warning regarding this battery issue . It is very risky (close monitoring of the battery level is critical) to fly on not fully charged or previously used battery even if it indicates around 90% of power left. The power level could drop in seconds ;I think this is not battery issue,but smart battery electronics.

The battery I used was fully charged.

Lew40 said:
Paul K said:

The battery I used was fully charged.

My comment was meant to respond to the video link from page 1 ; but I am still convinced it wasn't battery issue ,but electronic controlling it.

There have been quite a few topics posted on the data pins that provide the battery charge information
to the app. I keep my data pins clean... It may not prevent every error, but i believe it helps.

pins.jpg

RCRookie said:
There have been quite a few topics posted on the data pins that provide the battery charge information
to the app. I keep my data pins clean... It may not prevent every error, but i believe it helps.

pins.jpg

The morning I lost my Vision I did actually clean the contacts :)
The right image were the pins I had on mine. The new design.

Should I contact DJI to see what they say?

Very sad to hear anyone losing their bird. I've had 4 DJI batteries die exactly the same way yours did. Battery 100% charged to start and all of a sudden rapid discharge and early landing. I keep my battery posts very clean, even the female terminals on the battery. Use 400 grit sandpaper folded to get inside terminal. Still had early discharges.

Probably nothing you could have done Lew that would have saved your bird other then flying in a different location. That is easy to say when its so much fun flying over a beautiful area like yours. I was lucky with my early landings in the desert. I had to much confidence in these aircraft before the battery problems. I no longer fly anywhere near people, roads, buildings or water.

enterprise1 said:
Very sad to hear anyone losing their bird. I've had 4 DJI batteries die exactly the same way yours did. Battery 100% charged to start and all of a sudden rapid discharge and early landing. I keep my battery posts very clean, even the female terminals on the battery. Use 400 grit sandpaper folded to get inside terminal. Still had early discharges.

Probably nothing you could have done Lew that would have saved your bird other then flying in a different location. That is easy to say when its so much fun flying over a beautiful area like yours. I was lucky with my early landings in the desert. I had to much confidence in these aircraft before the battery problems. I no longer fly anywhere near people, roads, buildings or water.
I would lay off the sandpaper. Way to rough, use a pencil erasure or just use something similar to the product I posted. Sanding it will take the coating off of the pin, or if it is solid wear it down, especially on the battery.

What he said. Never take any grit paper or even steel wool..has oil..to your contacts. All you want to do is remove any oxidation, not material. Take material like a strip from a clean cotton t shirt and polish the pins like you were polishing shoes. No sandpaper, steel brushes, files, sandblasting, C4 or the like.

I hear what your saying guys but the female battery slots must be void of oxidation. You can see it in there with a light. 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper does not remove stock only polishes surface. Hard to get in the slots with eraser or even q-tip.

enterprise1 said:
I hear what your saying guys but the female battery slots must be void of oxidation. You can see it in there with a light. 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper does not remove stock only polishes surface. Hard to get in the slots with eraser or even q-tip.

I use DeoxIT for that very purpose. Liquid will go into the tiniest of slots/holes. I use that stuff on all my electronic connectors, flashlights, camera lenses, you name it. It is about $8 shipped on Amazon Prime and will last you a long, long time. Sanding will & does remove the actual material and some connectors have a coating on them that will come off with any abrasives.

Thanks. Darn I just put in a order with Amazon, should have remembered Deoxit.

I put in an order too. I forgot what it was called. I used something similar in the past and it worked great.

Thanks.

I just ditched a battery that appeared fully charged, but would drop rapidly after a short time.
I was lucky the first time it happened it was not far away. Not sure what the battery life was, but it was one on my older
batteries.
Tried discharging and recharging.
No help.
Junked it.
Mine was a stock DJI battery. (older model)
There was a time I was not always properly maintaining them, so I may be at fault.
The video shows a problem battery with showing 80-90% life.
That would seem odd.

cdusher said:
I just ditched a battery that appeared fully charged, but would drop rapidly after a short time.
I was lucky the first time it happened it was not far away. Not sure what the battery life was, but it was one on my older
batteries.
Tried discharging and recharging.
No help.
Junked it.
Mine was a stock DJI battery. (older model)
There was a time I was not always properly maintaining them, so I may be at fault.
The video shows a problem battery with showing 80-90% life.
That would seem odd.
To everyone discarding old lipo batteries, please be sure to dispose of it after discharging completely as even though it is trash it still is volatile. I usually cut the connector off and drop it into a bucket of salt water for a couple weeks. Haven't had to do this to a Phantom battery. I will be dissecting the management part of it when that day comes.

LuvMyTJ said:
Vas Deferens said:
How old were the batteries? How many charges?

I found this youtube video interesting. Others may too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vViFGNUjG4g

Mitch has some great videos. One of my favorite Youtuber's.

My battery just dropped to 89% life. I am not having any issues at the moment but should I be concerned? Please advise. I would hate to get rid of anything that has 89% life left.

Thanks.

:?
Batteries under 90% life will cause "forced" landing. You can give full power and delay the descent.
http://youtu.be/vViFGNUjG4g

Fplvert said:
:?
Batteries under 90% life will cause "forced" landing. You can give full power and delay the descent.
http://youtu.be/vViFGNUjG4g

The one for my vision does this at times but I have always been ready for it(though flight times have suffered due to that)

I will be replacing it soon as I hear a good review on the lime fuel 6000mah pack

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20