A Successful Calibration does not always mean a Good Calibration

Ok, I agree should not take off from driveway if it has rebar. Mine does not have rebar but it does have a wire mesh. That said, I can take the compass mod reading in the grass and then at the drive and it is very little difference. I can take off and land from there fine as long as I don't land and then fly again without stopping motors.

Mod value on driveView attachment 29024
Mod value in grass
View attachment 29023
How far away is that from where you did your compass calibration? Most say they wont fly with a MOD value less that 1500. Mine wouldnt even let me spin up when I powered on from the driveway (MOD in the 400s) But Im on BETA FW.. I don't know if that's a new addition, or something from before. My powering up in the grass gives me a MOD in the 1600s

I did the compass field behind me. Usually when I look at the mod values they are around 1530's but when I tried it just now it was in the 1400's in both places. This morning it was 1536 on my drive before I took it out over the corn fields. But I did not calibrate today since I am in same location as I was when I calibrated last.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Mauk
lol, if you look at my map image you can see that my drone is facing perfectly north in the driveway image but it looks like it is facing N by NE in the grass image. Darn it I am going to have to run out there again and recalibrate and check it out.

In the same location, as long as there in no interference, you should have an optimal 1700 value. I don't know that THIS is your issue, but it might be part of it. I did get mine to act like yours a few times. But only on the driveway with a TERRIBLE mod value. Just something to think about. In my videos I was NOT trying to be gentle. My intent was to make a scenario as bad as I could. But then did try to take off as soft as possible at times too for reference.

Have performed multi t/o and landings without shutdown on latest firmware with no issues.

Oh well, this thread isn't going anywhere. You were given help, you won't do it.

Just shut the thing down, restart and your good to go.

Your looking for something that isn't there...

Have a good day................

In the same location, as long as there in no interference, you should have an optimal 1700 value. I don't know that THIS is your issue, but it might be part of it. I did get mine to act like yours a few times. But only on the driveway with a TERRIBLE mod value. Just something to think about. In my videos I was NOT trying to be gentle. My intent was to make a scenario as bad as I could. But then did try to take off as soft as possible at times too for reference.
Interesting. That is the first I have ever heard of an optimal value as high as 1700. I have never had a value over 1500, and the mods here have noted the target to be 1400-1600. What leads you to think that most won't fly with a mod less than 1500 and that 1700 is optimal?

Oh well, this thread isn't going anywhere. You were given help, you won't do it.

Just shut the thing down, restart and your good to go.

Your looking for something that isn't there...

Have a good day................

I did what was asked. Still persisted. Yes good day.

I think there is too much voodoo going on regarding compass calibration, and compass sensitivity.
While the calibration should be done at a place far from metal, there is no problem (as far as I know) flying in an area with metal, or taking off a concrete slab with rebar.
Also, there is no need to re-calibrate all the time: Just when changing location more than 100 miles.

If anyone thinks I am wrong, let's discuss this here and make sure we get to the bottom of this. I believe that people are misleading by suggesting that drifts are caused by flying near metal. You would have to be really close to the metal, for it to impact the compass. Too close for it to happen while flying, unless you are a daredevil...

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Interesting. That is the first I have ever heard of an optimal value as high as 1700. I have never had a value over 1500, and the mods here have noted the target to be 1400-1600. What leads you to think that most won't fly with a mod less than 1500 and that 1700 is optimal?
Yes... I missed my numbers by a few hundred. not sure where I pulled those from. I was 200 over. I personally only fly with a 1500 or greater figure, which is easily attainable where I do most of my flying. At home, I have a chain link fence and concrete is never less than 10 feet away.

@steve thanks for not giving up on me. You have hit the nail on the head except for the acceptable mod values. I took the phantom across the street into the field and calibrated there where I knew there was no magnetic interference. I got a mod value of 1502 then I went to my driveway where it was 1420.42. I took off landed and took off landed and had no problem. Then checked the mod value in the grass in my yard by me and it was 1470. So the calibration being off a bit does not hurt on the first flight until you land idle engines and try to take off again.

Sorry that I bothered some of you.

Reactions: III% Streve
I just flew for almost 2 hours. Kept taking off and landing. I have never seen this happen. I never shut off VPS.. Latest firmware. I alway calibrate compass before flying, even if it's the same location. If I power off the bird I always re calibrate. I have never had any issues with my p3p. When I calibrate the gimbal I always have the bird pointing magnetic north and have it on a piece of plywood. I have never had a tilted gimbal/horizon issue when filming. Don't know if this helps, just my experience. Been flying almost 2 months. My sensor value always 1501/1502 plus or minus 1, it has never changed. I did stick it in the fridge and do an Imu and my startup time is around 22 to 25 seconds. Always pointing the bird magnetic north whenever I do any calibrations. I don't know if this makes a difference , but you are calibrating a very sensitive device.

Reactions: Signals
I think there is too much voodoo going on regarding compass calibration, and compass sensitivity.
While the calibration should be done at a place far from metal, there is no problem (as far as I know) flying in an area with metal, or taking off a concrete slab with rebar.
Also, there is no need to re-calibrate all the time: Just when changing location more than 100 miles.

If anyone thinks I am wrong, let's discuss this here and make sure we get to the bottom of this. I believe that people are misleading by suggesting that drifts are caused by flying near metal. You would have to be really close to the metal, for it to impact the compass. Too close for it to happen while flying, unless you are a daredevil...
I just stated that I could NOT spin up my motors with a MOD value in the 400s. That was maybe 5 miles away from the last calibration. I just re-calibrated in my little bit of grass and fly fine. Hovered to the concrete, CSC'd and try to spin up again, with a MOD in the 400s and again no spin-up. But as I stated earlier... I'm on a beta rig so it might be a threshold that has been instituted to prevent crashes. I cant verify that though.

Yes... I missed my numbers by a few hundred. not sure where I pulled those from. I was 200 over. I personally only fly with a 1500 or greater figure, which is easily attainable where I do most of my flying. At home, I have a chain link fence and concrete is never less than 10 feet away.
Gotcha. Ok thanks sir. I appreciate the reply.

I DO make mistakes! Thank you for not being a prick about it! Every once in a while I see an issue people are having and I know I can solve it. Just gotta get past all those haters find the cause. Other times I see a complete BS complaint, and call it for what it is.

And stop the Sir crap. We are all here the same.

Reactions: Oso
Rebar in the concrete. I saw pictures someone had a small metal ring attached to his landing gear close to compass and it made the bird go crazy, could not take off. The compass is super sensitive on these birds.

Rebar in the concrete. I saw pictures someone had a small metal ring attached to his landing gear close to compass and it made the bird go crazy, could not take off. The compass is super sensitive on these birds.
Youre a few hours late

I've haven't had that happen, but I have always killed my motors after landing. Thanks for posting Signals! Always good to learn something and take precaution.

Reactions: Signals

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl