6 Day Wait to Fly...very disappointed

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm hoping someone may offer some advice to me. After patiently waiting for 6 days since my P3P arrived for the wind to drop, I finally sent her up this morning.....and I'm really disappointed with the images. I have been flying a P2V+ for 6 months and have been very happy with the stills I have been getting, and was really looking forward to the vastly improved camera on the P3P. However, all my images are very soft with no detail.....and before you ask, yes I did remove the thin film off the front of the lens and I was flying in quite good light. I'm a professional photographer so I know my way around this sort of stuff, and everyone has been saying how much better the P3P is, in fact I have downloaded a number of test files and was convinced this new camera was a huge improvement. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks!

It's one of 2 things, either it's a camera setting like sharp and soft that you are missing because there are a lot more menus in the Pilot app to get lost in or its a bad camera which I hope it isn't. What's the video quality like? If that's OK I'd say it's just something simple in the app you are missing, hopefully :)

Do you normally shoot in RAW? It is a flatter image than a JPEG. As you probably know RAW gives you much more flexibility in post but is less attractive right out of camera. Could that possibly be it? Good luck.

Thanks guys, I shoot RAW and jpg and both are terrible.
Mal, can you tell me where the advanced camera settings are?
thanks for your help!

I have been flying a P2V+ for 6 months and have been very happy with the stills I have been getting, and was really looking forward to the vastly improved camera on the P3P. However, all my images are very soft with no detail.
Give it some time and get used to the settings.
I used to be frustrated by the P2V+ camera because it was so limited.
It's no Nikon D800 but the P3 camera is a big improvement and I'm happy that I can get back pretty good images for the effort I put in.
The first 28 here .. http://abovephotos.smugmug.com/AP/Land/
.. are all shot with the P3 in the last 2 weeks and they show much better detail than the P2V+ could ever manage - to say nothing of the low-light performance.

I haven't got my p3 yet, I'm waiting till all you guys get rid of the beta problems for me first ;)
Did you try here?
2015-06-10 04.52.14.png

The vPlus camera does not come close to the P3's. Because there is a lack of info in the manual like the rest of us you have to rely on hands on experience. The more you take the more you'll learn.

If there was some kind of issue with the P3 camera you would see countless threads about it. My camera was so out of set adjustment when I 1st activated it, it looked just like a white out snow storm. There was not one piece of info anywhere that explained how to tune the equipment.

I now only shoot 1080p @ 30fps. I do it in that setting because I'm still shocked as hell how much nicer the 1080p @ 30fps is over the same setting on the vPlus. Also means I have a lot to look forward to when I begin making my step up with the settings at some point.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
These are unedited........the 1st is from this mornings flight, the 2nd one I just took in the backyard, hand holding the body....it does seem better. Could the flight vibration being causing the softness?

Attachments

• DJI_0023.JPG
    DJI_0023.JPG
    5.2 MB · Views: 620
  • DJI_0061.JPG
    DJI_0061.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 553
I would try a test shot while it's on the ground and engines off. Preferably at something that has a lot of detail like a dollar bill. Make sure it is perpendicular to the lens. Then you can rule out vibration and motion. If it's not clear on the ground and stable then you might have a problem with your camera. If it clear you might have a vibration issue.

I haven't got my p3 yet, I'm waiting till all you guys get rid of the beta problems for me first ;)
Did you try here?
View attachment 21594

Well now that has to be some phoney BS right there!

I'd say there is a little to the story then waiting for beta issues to get worked out. Be a pioneer like the rest of us and earn your spot at the table....

I'm looking at the pics on my tablet and I know they are just jpegs but they do seem a little soft but you have to remember that these cameras are made to take shots from a very long distance away, they just aren't made to get detail close up. You would have to judge them on pics that are taken further away. They are tiny cameras after all and they now really excel in video more that photos. If it's close up stunning aerial photos you need I'd be looking at an s900 that can carry a gh4

These are unedited........the 1st is from this mornings flight, the 2nd one I just took in the backyard, hand holding the body....it does seem better. Could the flight vibration being causing the softness?

Those images mean nothing without explaining the settings you have the camera set at.

I doesn't take much to make ugly images, especially with improper settings.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
Well now that has to be some phoney BS right there!

I'd say there is a little to the story then waiting for beta issues to get worked out. Be a pioneer like the rest of us and earn your spot at the table....
Haha I've been a dji beta tester too long, my rule is not to buy until the 3rd firmware has been released ;)

Plus it would have done my head in having such an amazing bird and only one battery for the last few weeks. I'll be picking mine up in 2 weeks with 4 batteries and 2 chargers so I can enjoy her properly

I have had one battery and ZERO excuses for anything and have enjoyed my P3P tremendously.

Thanks for the responses so quickly. Attached here is an image from the P2V+. Admittedly with some PP work but I know from the files I got this morning off the P3P that they would never be near this quality........

Attachments

• SovHill423ul.jpg
    SovHill423ul.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 513
Thanks again for the quick responses....the camera was set in auto. I don't expect the images to be as good as my Sony A7R. but I did except some noticeable improvement on the P2V+. When I first flew the P2V+ I was very happy with the images straight out of the camera the very first time I flew it. I have a lot of experience in photography and PP work and I know what can be done with low quality files. I suppose my main point is that the original untouched images are worse than the P2V+ and I'm looking for reasons. Once again thanks for all your quick input........

Thanks for the responses so quickly. Attached here is an image from the P2V+. Admittedly with some PP work but I know from the files I got this morning off the P3P that they would never be near this quality........
But that's a far away pic? It's like comparing apples and oranges, up close... far away.... these cameras aren't made to take good pics up close, no zoom great auto focus even compared to a camera phone. What are the aerial pics like?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic