Would you upgrade to a new phantom, **P4**?

Will you upgrade to the new P4 when released?

• Yes I will upgrade and sell my older gear

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • Yes I will upgrade and retain my older gear

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • No I will not upgrade and retain my older gear

Votes: 64 52.9%
  • I will upgrade to a higher class model (Inspire, Spreading Wings)

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters
Bought a P3 after Xmas paid top $ -- waited 6 plus weeks to get it... price drops and then DJI announces a P4. Awesome. :(
Hey, I paid top dollar for a P3P just 3wks ago, $1259! Got in 2 days from Drones Plus, Vegas (no sales tax, free shipping). I'm a bit ticked too since they're $999 today, but then I get all warm just knowing I have two P3P's to fly now, backup is nice. I'm eager to hear the March 1st announcements.

While at CES this week only one of the booth employees would say anything about a possible P4 or Inspire2 release schedule. And all he would say is that he would expect a P4 to be released before an Inspire2. That's all he would say, and I think that's all he could say because he just didn't know much. It appears they are very tight lipped about that within the company.

After seeing the new $1799 Yuneec Typhoon H Hexacopter with collision avoidance (CA), retracks, and 360 camera like Inspire, the competition is on. DJI has got to release something like this in the next year with Lightbridge. Strange thing was nobody in the Yuneec booth could confirm it could limp back and RTH on 5 motors, if one motor happen to fail. The Intel booth was demonstrating their "Real Sense" technology for CA using the Typhoon H. But I learned Yuneec only has CA implemented on the front of the craft. It needs to be on all 4 sides IMHO. It also won't detect power wires or tree limbs, too small. I'm not sure how important CA is, given these limitations.
I would buy the typhoon H but I've heard the range is rubbish compared to light bridge

I would buy the typhoon H but I've heard the range is rubbish compared to light bridge
I think anyone that has used Lightbridge and understands it's unique capabilities will never buy another brand until someone releases something "like" lightbridge, instead of using PLAIN OLD WIFI. Lightbridge is what separates the men from the boys.

I can't see the p4 costing 3 times as much as a p3a unless it's 3 times more awesome... without waterproof, retractable gear etc I can't see it...

The P3A meets or exceeds all my 'aerial photography' needs to date. DJI holds a pretty firm grip on the market
with lightbridge technology, but extended range isn't for everyone... Yuneec's Typhoon H is a promising platform,
and their collision avoidance will supposedly be forward looking on the base model, but full 360* will be available
as an add-on option. The problem there is geo-fencing, which Yuneec is also proudly supporting, 400' maximum
altitude (software enforced) and no-fly zones built in (software).

The P3A will be the last photography UAV I buy for a while. Too many unknowns in the hobby right now
to go plunking down another $2k. Allowing some time for the FAA, local lawmakers and the industry to figure out
where it's going is my plan for now.

Yuneec's Typhoon H is a promising platform, and their collision avoidance will supposedly be forward looking on the base model, but full 360* will be available as an add-on option. The problem there is geo-fencing, which Yuneec is also proudly supporting, 400' maximum altitude (software enforced) and no-fly zones built in (software).
Whoa, if 400' above launch elevation is in fact true with Yuneec, I'd NEVER buy that. I climb too many mountains with my bird for that to work. Even 1640' in the GO app isn't enough elevation gain some times, and I always stay around 200' AGL during my mountain climbing ascent and descent, well within the FAA guideline. I would be totally disappointed with only 400'. I'd MUCH rather have geofencing than to reduce the elevation limit down to 400' max from take-off point.

I will upgrade after they sort all the bugs out in the first 12 months or so, but only if it can :
fly further away from the rc than the p3p/p3a
has better flight times (30 mins+)
Better fpv while flying
No shell cracking. (shell cracking is absolutely inexcusable on such an elite craft)

Last edited:
If 3DR can give equal range and have less issues I will be switching to them as well.

Hobby shops make a predominant amount of their profit income from selling us customers, those parts and pieces we destroy in regular normal everyday wear n tear use. No abuse. Even though they @dji are fixing them by replacing the bodies under warranty, those promissory notes are only good for one year, beyond purchase date. Time flies.
Think of the millions of models that must be floating around, out there. Hahaha and I don't mean to be inferring those in the deep dark drink. ;-)
Still, that's Big math. And the reason why I requested a basic PDF repair manual, be printed & made available to us.

RedHotPoker

I Want:
30 minutes of actual (non-hover) flight time
Craft Range/Power to be the same as the FCC Inspire 1 (T601)
Shells that don't crack
Waterproof to a degree (snow, fog)
Replaceable RC Battery
RC Optimized to do Video DSP like the original GL300A RC's
HDMI Out With OSD that mirrors the Tablet Go App
To pay ~$1,200

I don't want:
Collision Avoidance
To pay $1,700

Hobby shops make a predominant amount of their profit income from selling us customers, those parts and pieces we destroy in regular normal everyday wear n tear use. No abuse. Even though they @dji are fixing them by replacing the bodies under warranty, those promissory notes are only good for one year, beyond purchase date. Time flies.
Think of the millions of models that must be floating around, out there. Hahaha and I don't mean to be inferring those in the deep dark drink. ;-)
Still, that's Big math. And the reason why I requested a basic PDF repair manual, be printed & made available to us.

RedHotPoker
Mine got a crack in the top shell after 8 flights with no hard landings. Looked like an overtightend screw caused it. Very annoying after paying top dollar fo it.
Like I said, INEXCUSABLE, since there are plenty of good plastics that could be used. If they used a good plastic, they will still make heaps from selling shells as it is EVENTUALLY going to be needed after crashes and fatigue ect... But to get cracked shells with less than 4 hrs flying is just going to make the customer walk away and never come back once better competition birds are available (only a matter of time)

I know I will walk as soon as the competition gets it right.

I have a very low forgiveness for any BILLION DOLLAR company who happily takes my money but has built in faults to get more money off me ASAP. I know there are warranty issues with every product out there but plastic is a very easy product to get right. I wouldn't mind at all if cracks appeared after twelve months of hard flying/landings ect... happily give them my money for another shell.

There are many other fine competitors in the drone business.
Some with the ability and forsight to use actual carbon fiber bodies.
But you would be spending tens of thousands dollars for those top of the line ones.
I mean look at this drone, for one amazing example. Cruising around the blue sky, with a $60,000 camera hanging underneath it... ;-)

Start saving your shekels and pesos señor. You have a ways to go. ;-)

I would have to win big, a major lottery, like powerball lotto, to afford the big boys "toys", I would like. ;-)

What about sterio equipment, www.higherfi.com have a few nice components available. Stock comes and goes so check back frequently. Hahaha
Build a decent unit for yourself, just for fun. Tell me about it. Thanks.

Hello hello? I guess He hung up... ;-)

RedHotPoker

Reactions: Cale262
Whoa, if 400' above launch elevation is in fact true with Yuneec, I'd NEVER buy that. I climb too many mountains with my bird for that to work. Even 1640' in the GO app isn't enough elevation gain some times, and I always stay around 200' AGL during my mountain climbing ascent and descent, well within the FAA guideline. I would be totally disappointed with only 400'. I'd MUCH rather have geofencing than to reduce the elevation limit down to 400' max from take-off point.

Yep... 400 ft above launch level... not too sure how 'far' their 'no fly zone' software goes either. Having said that, the Typhoon H does offer a lot of
bang for the buck on a VLOS hexcopter. Just like the DJI mystery 'whateveritis', speculation is the only fun you'll have with it until the product is launched.
As far as the Typhoon H....for the 'general public' 400 ft AGL is plenty high enough, and 2500 ft range is close to the limit of VLOS. Given a 360* gimbal
and some redundancies, it will fit a beginner well... for some, it will be more than they'd ever need. These manufacturers will most likely continue to cut
back on range, and limit altitude. Out of sight and high up is what brings all the bad joo-joo to the hobby, so it WILL be controlled by the mfg.

If they can't offer long service without cracks then they should at least offer new shells for around $20.00, that way we could all just grab one or two as spares.

Wouldn't mind the following:
Lightbridge 2 for 1080p live streaming.
1 prop fail recovery landing algorithm
New battery technology, longer flight times and faster charging.
360 (dual) camera for aerial VR - minimum 4k resolution @ 60fps. A 2D gimbal would be required. A 2D gimbal using a 360 lens camera would be more robust and cheaper to make. I'm looking to mount something like this to my old P2. Samsung Gear 360
The 360 camera would double for tracking and obstacle avoidance. Vertical Studio can track objects - with enough processing power, DJI should be able to track everything it sees.
hardware and software optical image stabilisation (found on the bebop) The software can detect the horizon and try to stabilise, the hardware can minimise shake (found in mobile phones).
4K crop to 1080p digital zoom - add a transparent mask in DJI GO app to help follow a subject when in digital zoom mode.
Find a better alternative to the compass for direction. Maybe calculate direction using another GPS position in the world to calculate heading.
Upside down props for water resistance.
Lower the defcon levels for the areas that require you to request from DJI servers.

The P3A meets or exceeds all my 'aerial photography' needs to date. DJI holds a pretty firm grip on the market
with lightbridge technology, but extended range isn't for everyone... Yuneec's Typhoon H is a promising platform,
and their collision avoidance will supposedly be forward looking on the base model, but full 360* will be available
as an add-on option. The problem there is geo-fencing, which Yuneec is also proudly supporting, 400' maximum
altitude (software enforced) and no-fly zones built in (software).

The P3A will be the last photography UAV I buy for a while. Too many unknowns in the hobby right now
to go plunking down another $2k. Allowing some time for the FAA, local lawmakers and the industry to figure out
where it's going is my plan for now.

There's a vid on YouTube from CES this year where the rep from Yuneec said 400ft would be the default setting but that it would not be enforced. The interviewer even asked if the operator could go higher and he said yes. Is there most recent information contradicting this?

It's going to be P4 with a 360 avoidance system, upgraded more efficient motors bigger battery with a bit more range and upgraded gimbal and maybe a bigger camera sensor, more weight thus requiring g bigger gimbal and that will be it but the main feature will be sense and avoid. They even say it at the beginning of the clip.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik