Winter (snow,light rain) flying

Reaction score
Hi everyone I just have a question about winter flying. I wanted to know if there are any tips and easy modifications you can do to the aircraft when flying in snow and very light rain? I was thinking of covering the holes only on the very top of the Phantom. Any other tips would be appreciated thanks.

The best tip I know of is to avoid all moisture. You're going to run the risk of damaging your Phantom no matter what kind of mods you do to attempt to prevent moisture from entering the shell and/or motors.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I have covered all of the vents. It's not going to be above 40 degrees fahrenheit in weeks, so the battery needs the extra help staying warm, and it should be able to handle light precip.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I wouldn't fly in pouring rain, but this is in the manual. So It can handle some moisture or DJI wouldn't include that.

"Flying in heavy fog or clouds may make gimbal wet, leading to temporary failure. The gimbal will recover full functionality once it dries"

Last edited:
Reactions: BVC
Phantom = toy. WHO CARES. I say, fly in the rain & snow! ENJOY IT! That is what you bought it for. And it is NOT an investment.

I have flown a few times in light rain with no ill issues. I haven't tried snow yet as I haven't been around anywhere with snow falling at the time. But with the different types of snow I'd say the dryer snow you should be safe. Try to stay away from the wet snow as that could build up/ice over the props/drone and cause some issues.

I also flown in fog a few times as well. I cover the vents for those flights with blue painters tape (easy on, easy off). No issues to date!

Just try to fly over land in these situations. The risk of failure is greater and it's not nice to fly in those situations over homes/vehicles or other objects as no one likes property damage if something did happen.

How did you cover the vents? <curious>

blue painters tape? Electrical tape? scotch tape? Bubble gum? chunks of plastic bags stuffed in the lines? Rope holding rubber mat over vents? Bungie cords holding rubber mat over vents? Wrapping the whole drone minus the camera and props with a plastic bag? Stickers? Stamps? Vicks vapor rub? Grease?

Thanks everyone for all the replies. I don't really plan on flying in the rain but would like to get some video and pics in the snow and if I fly in the snow I don't plan on being out long. So if I fly in the snow I'm going to cover the vents. It's pretty cold here in the north east so I think I might cover the vents to help keep it warm also.

i put a small umbrella over mine works a treat!!

Reactions: Neon Euc
I'd be wary of using tape because if it comes off and gets stuck in a prop, things may not end well. I kinda like the bubble gum idea though... something pliable that can be squeezed into the vents which hardens in cold weather but softens back up when you bring it inside...

I doubt with all the down draft and speed the props that there is any way anything could get sucked up to the prop.

You are probably right - it's just that there's a lot going on there with four props spinning hard in opposite directions and a hole in the middle of it all. I have to wonder if there isn't an updraft right in the center...

I tried it once in the fog with no protection at all. Worked ok, video useless and the quad was so wet (in/out) I spent almost one hour with hairdryer to dry it. Result - do not recommend. Two days ago I fly in -4C dry at the ground i guess in 100m height -7C eq. Had several times message about no GPS (in fact it went down from 12 satellites to 7) in a quite open area. Might to have coincidence with the temp. Keep in mind the tablet / phone might go off soon in cold as well. Should be snowing here tomorrow and temp about -2C. Will try a short test and let you know. BTW I never let the battery less than 50% in this temp.

I've been wondering about this exact thing. Also have seen that some take the housing apart and spray the boards with silicone spray to protect from mild moisture

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl