Why isn't the FPV app with the goggles popular?

Anyone know the difference between the regular VR goggles and the version 2? Thanks

I could be wrong. But some goggles now allow you to go to camera mode. Seeing in front of you. Without removing your device.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Would the camera mode qualify as line-of-sight? Not? What type of camera would a person use with VR headsets?

Anyone know the difference between the regular VR goggles and the version 2? Thanks
New version is mechanically better. Thats all.

New version is mechanically better. Thats all.

Yes, like the "New and improved" that we see all the time.
I bought LeNest VR goggles from Amazon that seem nicely made. I like the velcro head straps better than the plastic buckle type.
My only concern is that an old timer like me wearing bifocals needs to wear reading glasses to use them. Bifocals don't work because I can't look down to focus. That means I can't remove them for LOS without swapping glasses. I wish they had more adjustment for far sighted people.

It's probably been discussed, but they aren't really approved for use with UAV because of the LOS requirement. A tablet, even with a hood is acceptable because you can just look up. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Last edited:
Tablets, phones have no issue related to LOS. Even goggles like Mybud should face no issues. But in reality, no one is bothered to see what you are wearing unless you look like a joker with .......

Reactions: Dounin Front
Tablets, phones have no issue related to LOS. Even goggles like Mybud should face no issues. But in reality, no one is bothered to see what you are wearing unless you look like a joker with .......
I like the look of the Mybud you referenced, but I thought we were talking about the Google style that just uses a phone and an app rather than an HDMI hookup.

Currently VR is not the right solution for P3/P4 as the streaming is not 3D. We try to convert a 2D stream to two separate screens to view them as 3D video. This is not the right way but no doubt its a cheaper solution. I prefer HDMI based goggles as they offer better resolutions but are expensive. There are so many new HDMI based goggles lined up for their release in the market in near future and hope they would be the right choice for a real immersive solution.

Is it possible to run HDMI goggles (with the HDMI adapter) along with a mobile device plugged into the USB? I can see that the combination wouldn't be necessary but might have some advantages.
I could see where "flip-up" VR goggles would have some merit but I'm new to VR so don't understand many of the issues.

Yes I do that always. I run DJI Go app on iPad thru USB and run my HDMI goggle simultaneously on HDMI port of RC.

One of such promising goggle is Avegant Glyph but costs $699.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1460264041.638015.jpg

GLYPH FOUNDER'S EDITION

SPECIFICATIONS

• Resolution: 1280x720p per eye; 2 million micromirrors
• Aspect Ratio: 16:9
• Width: 7.5 inches (190.5mm)
• Height: 4 inches (101.6mm)
• Depth: 7.5 inches (190.5mm)
• Weight: 14.5oz (411g)
• Field of view: ~40° diagonal
• Video & Audio Input: microHDMI
• Audio-Only Input: 3.5mm TRRS (standard AUX)
• Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz
• Dynamic Range: 95 dB
• Battery Life: Up to 4 hours video playback, unlimited passive audio
• Battery Type: Li-lon, Integrated
• Battery Capacity: 2060mAH
• Charging Port: microUSB
• Diopter Adjustment: +1 to -7 range
• Headtracking: 9 Axis IMU
• 3D: Supports 720p side-by-side (SBS) content
• Updateable Firmware: For enhanced features and capabilities
• Compatibility: Check requirements list

Last edited:
Anyone here using these or other retinal imaging goggles for FPV? Looks like awesome technology.

You can change Camera Mode to Photo and adjust Aspect Ratio to 4:3 for larger side-by-side display. You may further turn off navigation map and custom telemetry as you like. However, I think using navigation map and custom telemetry is more immersive IMO to let you feel seating inside aircraft cockpit.
Is there anyway you can make it so when you use the phone camera it will show up on both sides like it does when using the drone camera? Thanks

Reactions: Pvt iDJ
The Samsung Gear won't work. Only the Samsung S6, S7, and S5 Note fit into it. A microUSB fitting is built into the Samsung Gear that the phone has to fit onto effectively blocking DJI's access to the phone. The cheaper goggles should work as will the basic Goggle Cardboard goggles if they have a strap. On a side note, the Samsung Gear are a lot of fun! Get Smash Hits, a favorite game of my family! Haunted houses are fun too. Lots of potential, but in general, the Samsung Gear uses different apps than the generic Google Cardboard type goggles and the plastic knockoffs.

I'm waiting for a true stereo / 3d attachment for the UAVs. Seems this would really benefit racers to have stereo vision. I'd like it for the Phantom so I could get a better feel while I'm up close inspecting things. It would obviously require two small cameras to be mounted on the Phantom's gimbal so the pilot could see what the Phantom's camera is seeing. The stereo image would be transmitted to the pilot's split screen phone. This is the kind of stuff I'd love to work on myself, but work and family take a bit more precedence...

I have a Note 5 and I made this thing. The view is awesome in my opinion or anyone else who has looked through it. I don't even take off until I have my headset on now. I pretty much fly by FPV 95% of the time.

Will HDMI Glasses work with P3A?

Reactions: Tony Cowan
This is cool in theory. If you have someone to help watch or even fly for you its an interesting perspective. Personally, I didn't like it because the resolution was so low. I have a P3P and iPhone 6s Plus. I figured the bigger 1080p screen of the plus iPhone would help but you have to split that and its not two 720p screen side by side. Its also very scary because you feel like you could hit something the whole time. You can't look up and see the Phantom and that is nerve wracking. The Phantom can only see forward, it can't see behind, below, beside, above, etc.
I too was disappointed with the resolution using an iPhone. Well below HD after splitting in two and reducing each window to fit each eye. But it has its use I guess. Thankfully, I also have the HDMI board and Headplay "feedbag" goggles for a true HD goggle experience.

I too was disappointed with the resolution using an iPhone. Well below HD after splitting in two and reducing each window to fit each eye. But it has its use I guess. Thankfully, I also have the HDMI board and Headplay "feedbag" goggles for a true HD goggle experience.
I think that depends on your iPhone model. If you use 5.5" 6+/6s+ with 1920x1080 (full resolution screenshot as shown below), splitting half resolution is acceptable IMO. If you use 4.7" 6/6s with 1334x750, then it's well below HD after splitting half.

IMG_0941.JPG

Last edited:
I think that depends on your iPhone model. If you use 5.5" 6+/6s+ with 1920x1080 (full resolution screenshot as shown below), splitting half resolution is acceptable IMO. If you use 4.7" 6/6s with 1334x750, then it's well below HD after splitting half.
Yeah, mine's a 4.7" iPhone 6 and I can see individual pixels. It's worse than looking up close at an old iPhone 3 screen.
A friend has the 6+ and says his looks pretty good in the goggles.

image.png
Shame the telemetry looks like this on a iPhone 6. On the 6+ it's fine but that one does not fit in my Zeiss VR One...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jakob08z