Why I would think twice about "droning" as a career...Lightning cable saga...

BTW, it is VERY ILLEGAL to drink and fly. I don't drink at all (because I am too young,) and I NEVER will. Sorry, but I get angered by alcohol. It is very bad. I had many family members and friends who have died from drugs and alcohol. Also, the FAA is very clear about doing drugs and alcohol before or during flight. (Maybe it's time to read that chapter in the small uas Remote Pilot manual again...)

I'm going to let you in on a secret that took me 50 years to learn. Beer coolers can hold lots of things, OTHER than beer.

Reactions: BigAl07
A couple of magnet mount L-Com antennas would be another option.

At this point, I don't wish to modify my RC. This set up is actually pretty good, because I can grab the control quickly and not be limited by external antennas. The iPad moves quickly, and, as I'm sure you're aware, one doesn't need an iPad to fly a drone (though they do greatly help).

Cool setup. I think.
You need a ladder to work the RC...??
Or you have a “remote remote” hooked up to that thing?
Or- are the you setting up a programmed flight that steers itself once running?

Hehe...as the immodly one already eluded to, I do a lot of autonomous flying. Raising the antennas (RC) really helps with the range. That said, I can lower the tripod and get to the RC in < 5 seconds. So far, only two "emergencies," neither of which could've been helped by accessing the RC. Both crashes were due to broken propellers (saga well-documented in this forum).

Not sure why you seem to have kind of glossed past Anker's products.

Lots of folks have commented about them on this forum, and I don't know anyone who's had less than favorable results with their Apple Lightning cables.

And FYI, when I see issues with having to re-plug a known "good" Lightning cable to get the electrons moving again, a reboot of the Apple device always solves it unless the problem was something on the copper.

Various responses to other comments... USB hubs and extenders can be hit or miss, depending on the devices in use. Many vendors recommend avoiding them.

I love Monoprice stuff but am careful about it. For mission-critical applications I tend to think twice.

The last of my Lightning cables just showed up. I plan on doing full tests, review and video. In the shootout will be the following:

Apple
Anker
Monoprice
McDodo
Nomad
Chinese generic

I already have a few comments that I'll save for the video.

D

Would be interested in hearing how their cable stands up to your tests. I've purchased their cables before and haven't had any issues to date. In fact, just ordered some 4K HDMI cables. The prices for their cables are a fraction of the prices charged for the hyped-up brands.

The last of my Lightning cables just showed up. In the shootout will be the following:

Apple
Anker
Monoprice
McDodo
Nomad
Chinese generic

D

The last of my Lightning cables just showed up. In the shootout will be the following:

Apple
Anker
Monoprice
McDodo
Nomad
Chinese generic

D

Do post the results. Looking forward to it.
I just picked up one of Apple Certified Lightning to USB Sync/Charge Cable - 1 Meter Length (Black/Space Gray) – CreatePros LLC
Seems like good quality. But that’s not scientific info in any way. And it’s only 13”- made for controller to iPad on the RC.

I'd do it and be successful.... 'cept I work at night and sleep in the day (When the really good stuff happens). You'd have to be one that fits the scenario and want to make it your full time thing. The "107" part limits what I can do as a "regular Joe" and it'll only get worse as "Adam Henry" units ruin it for all. But It sounds like a blast doing what you already like to do and cash those $$....
FYI, Part 107 certification doesn't limit you to flying recreational, using recreational rules. You can fly either way if you are Part 107 certified.

Reactions: GrammatonxXXxCleric
Yes I see your point. In my situation though, most of my wake time is night time. So If I were to 107 certify to make money I would have very limited flight time during the day.

Apple
Anker
Monoprice
McDodo
Nomad
Chinese generic

D

Maybe adding to your complications, but there are alternative technologies. USB is rated for 5m (16') but significantly deteriorates beyond 2m, especially data.
Other options include USB over ethernet (powered with a hub or non powered with a pair of adaptors) and USB over wifi.

I've often wondered if I could charge/power my Shield tablet through a powered hub while using it on controller. Never tried it, but might. I think it should work and not interfere....

Reactions: BigAl07
Cables? WTF? how about how pathetic the iPad performance is at room temp let alone at 85F ? and how it will leave you hanging 3 feet from a cell tower with a crashed DJI GO or worse yet LAG? now we're talking profitability!

Cables? WTF? how about how pathetic the iPad performance is at room temp let alone at 85F ? and how it will leave you hanging 3 feet from a cell tower with a crashed DJI GO or worse yet LAG? now we're talking profitability!

David is this problem you have (which is completely OFF topic for the thread at hand BTW) happening across multiple tablets you have or just one?

We fly with ipads (mini2's and 2017 9.5") and have had no issues except flying in 90+ degree direct sun. We flew for almost 2 hours today on a job site at 95deg and not a lick of shade around and experienced zero tablet issues (running DJI Go 4 and Litchi). The operator (Me) might have gotten sunburned and parched but the aircraft and supporting equip didn't miss a lick.

One thing we do is the ipad only has flight apps installed and nothing that isn't needed to operate the sUAS safely.

BTW, it is VERY ILLEGAL to drink and fly. I don't drink at all (because I am too young,) and I NEVER will. Sorry, but I get angered by alcohol. It is very bad. I had many family members and friends who have died from drugs and alcohol. Also, the FAA is very clear about doing drugs and alcohol before or during flight. (Maybe it's time to read that chapter in the small uas Remote Pilot manual again...)
Seriously? He just asked where the cooler was relax we're all adults here;)

Professional Droning - My journey regarding one small link in a very long chain...

It's funny. But when friends or people in the forums ask about "getting into the drone business," I try not to be too discouraging, but I must warn them that there are a LOT of things to know, lots of equipment to maintain and lots of protocols to fully understand before one can deliver a professional product. From door to door (or sometimes called "portal to portal"), there are 100 things that can go wrong, any one of which can stop you from delivering a product. This short story is about just one cog in a vastly large machine.

An example...

Just today I decided that I was tired of messing around with substandard Apple Lightning cables. Regardless of who makes them or where I buy them, they seem to be saddled with either low data rates, low current ratings (for charging), are flat-out unreliable or are inconsistent. Some are even rejected by Apple peripherals (actual warnings in the app about the cable). I just want a 10' Apple Lightning cable that will carry 2 Amps (the rating of their chargers) and pass data at a rate that won't choke out any of my peripherals or apps (40Mbps seems reasonable). I ASSUMED that OEM factory (or MFi certified) cables would fulfill those specifications. Well, it turns out I was wrong. First off, factory cables never come in lengths over 2 Meters. I need roughly 3 meters for my mapping jobs. Is a 10 ft. USB->Lightning cable really that much to ask?

Second, even the OEM Apple cables sometimes have to be unplugged and replugged to work. Maddening.

My hunt started on eBay. After purchasing well over a dozen very fancy looking cables from Chinese vendors that wouldn't charge OR pass data (received refunds for every cable), I decided to use domestic vendors. I found vendors that sold 10' Lightning cables under the guise of being "OEM." But those cables would either not pass data or would not charge. I need a cable that does both at the same time.

So then I started looking into high-end aftermarket companies like Noyce, Alta, McDodo and Nomad. But first, to cut through the hype, I wanted to see user reviews. So I did a Google search, and stumbled across this ****** "review" of a Noyce 13' cable. This "review" was nothing more than 2.5 minutes of unboxing. Yes, you read that right. 2.5 minutes of opening a ******** box. Jerk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucyBVVeklQ8

Fortunately, I found another, more comprehensive review for this long, FOUR meter Noyce cable from a guy named Jeff Geerling.

https://www.jeffgeerling.com/…/review-noyce-13-4m-lightning…

Unlike the previous ****stick, this guy actually ran tests on the cable.

I checked Amazon reviews, which were good - not excellent, but good. Overall, the reviews were good enough that I decided to pull the trigger on one of these Noyce cables. So I clicked on the Amazon link only to find that the "item is unavailable." No worries. I'll search eBay. Nope. Nothing there. No worries. I'll go straight to the Noyce website. What's this?? NO WEBSITE!??!?!?! Are you ******** kidding me?!?! ARGH!!!

Okay...time to start over. Apparently Noyce either went out of business or is in hiding. Time to move on to Nomad cables, which are available in only 2 lengths; 1.5M and 3M. 10' is long enough, so I decided to move forward.

Unlike the Noyce cable, I could find no comprehensive tests done on the cable. I found plenty of "Macworld" type reviews that, in typical Apple user fashion, talked about "fit" and "finish" and how nice the cable fit in their bag and the pretty color, but not one of those ****sticks actually ran any data or power tests on the thing. ARGH!! And while the "Macworld" community touted this as "the last Lightning cable you will ever need," the Amazon community seemed to take exception to that assertion. Amazon reviews ran the gamut. 75% of users thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. 25% of the users thought it was **** with comments like, "Laster 6 weeks" and "Connector broke off in my iPad" and "Stopped working already" and "Worked for 2 weeks" and "These cords are terrible" and on and on.

So then I moved on to Anker cables, which netted almost identical reviews to the Nomad cables.

So then I moved on to McDodo cables. Those reviews were even worse, but the hype was better.

So $70 later it seems I've purchased one of each + a USB tester and will have to conduct my own reviews and tests.

I've just spent over 2 hours (and $70) researching these lousy Lightning cables. 2 hours! The Lightning cable is just one of many, many components I rely on as a drone professional. Imagine batteries and/or Firmware and/or propellers and/or software and on and on and on. For every paid hour, I spend 2 or 3 on R&D.

Are you SURE you want to get into this business?

L8rz,

Donnie Frank
The problem is APPLE. They purposely make their products not play nice with anything they don't sell. I am Android all the way but my wife and 3 daughters are Apple fans so I also go through **** with cables. That whole "not Apple certified" is BS, if you are just charging. They want you to get frustrated and buy their cables. My Android phones will work with any old janky cable to charge, and any decent cable for data, etc. The only way I have found to get good Apple cables is trial and error. You may order 5 cables and 3 work all the time, 1 is "non certified" error and 1 works sometimes and other times get the "non certified" error. Price and brand don't seem to matter too much as long as you are buying decent looking quality cables, from Anker, etc. ALL cables are made in Asia somewhere so brand name is not really a thing anymore since the same cables may be sold under 25 different names in different places for different prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: deltamike
My favorite 90 degree Lightning cable is this 11.5" Griffin Lightning cable. They are made very well and are durable. It's not the cheapest cable, but it's a great option to consider if quality is a top concern.

2s.jpg

The cable length spec on USB3 is 3 meters. Expecting good performance at or beyond the spec isn’t realistic. USB3 is the governing spec for lightening cables.

Reactions: deltamike

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers