Who's had success backing off the screws and using zip ties around the arms?

On another thread on this forum on phantom 4(newbie phantom 4 or phantom 3 advance?
Meta4 said I was 6months behind on the cracking issue, was down to bad plastic, bad batch, bad moulding? Seems cracks are still appearing?
... on the basis of 1 or 2 reports?
There are half a million or more Phantom 3s out there and the reported incidence of cracking has just about gone away.
At its height there were multiple posts per day (still only representing a tiny fraction of the number of Phantoms out there)

Ok meta4 thank you for the information, just gets to me you spend your hard earn money on these things, and then have these issues with potential cracks down the line for what ever reasons. Thank you[emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I posted a picture the other day of a crack I found on m Phantom 3 standard, went out to fly to see if the crack grew, and it seemed like it may have, just the slightest but then I look at the other rear-arm, and find yet another crack on the inside of the screw hole closest to the leds. Think ordering a new shell, and perhaps the reinforcement brackets might be my best bet. Think it's worth noting also that I have never not once crashed or had a tip-over. Actually baby it up in the sky. Bad plastic.

Just take off the top shell and fill the void under the motor with plast-aid and it will never crack..the stuff is amazing and with the shell back on everything looks like stock again...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ROD PAINTER
Since most Phantoms never develop cracking and DJI replace any shells that have, all the supposed preventative measures are of dubious value.
You can't say any are effective because a Phantom using one didn't crack.
It's like wearing a ring of onions around your neck every day and saying it's been very effective in keeping you safe from vampires.

Just wondering how many have actually done the steps of backing off the screws and putting zip ties on the arms and flown for an extended amount of time with no cracks in the shell?

I had p3a last December that had small cracks so I sent it back and ordered a p3p.
this is the original 300a and old motors etc.

I immediately checked the screws and backed them out and retightened,
I figured no harm no foal and I added 4 trywraps around arms near the end.

9 months later and many hours flight time, all is well and no signs of distress on the shell.
cant say the wraps helped but I KNOW they did not hurt.
I figured it may assist the screws with strain relief when torqueing from stops and turns etc.

good luck and have fun flying!

Attachments

• phantomtywrap.jpg
    phantomtywrap.jpg
    734.7 KB · Views: 295
I've never heard of anybody using zip ties. I suppose if it was some kind of emergency and you had no other options, you could do it.

As msinger points out, most P3 owners don't have a problem. Personally, if I had a P3, I'd back each wing screw 1/8th turn. If I happened to see separation during that process, naturally I'd be inclined to re-torque the screws near there.

I do and have for almost a year now on my p3p.

after returning a p3a with cracks --no harm , no foal, no new cracks...
cant say they do anything good but definitely don't hurt...

Evidently there's a lot of P3 pilots cracking from the stress being caused by the hysteria around this subject.

No one knows for sure the cause, probably something in the plastic (bad mix/curing/molding). That's also my opinion, based on my background with this matter. It's pretty safe to assume it's not caused by unbalanced props, because some RC shells also crack and there's no spinning anything on the TXs, no torque, no braking, no twisting and no serious stress of any kind.

Also, the occurrence of cracks is random for the most part: some arrive cracked, some crack after a couple of flights, some (apparently the majority) never crack. Some crack with old motors, new motors, old shell and new shell. Some crack with arm and motor reinforcements, some don't. There's no pattern other than the plastic used in some batches, for both the AC and the TX body.

All that means (to me) that it's hard - if not impossible - to say for sure if some preventative measure actually works, or by how much. My opinion is that if you got a bad shell (from, say, a bad batch), it'll crack regardless of overtightened or loose screws, zip ties, electrical tape, stiffening add-ons, prop guards, hard breaking, whatever. And if you're lucky, you may have 1000 or more crack-free flights. Which, even though not comforting for owners of cracked P3s, seems to be the rule.

Reactions: Pharm
Since most Phantoms never develop cracking and DJI replace any shells that have, all the supposed preventative measures are of dubious value.
You can't say any are effective because a Phantom using one didn't crack.
It's like wearing a ring of onions around your neck every day and saying it's been very effective in keeping you safe from vampires.

They can even crack on the new shell design. Why keep sending them in to get fixed if you can fix them to never crack again. And after the 1 year warranty you would have to pay for it yourself if it cracks again. Putting plast-aid on the inside of the arms under the motor makes the plastic really thick and basically impossible to ever crack there. The stuff is amazing and has many uses...

Mine didn't crack between the motors like a lot of people's do, mine broke the tab on the inside where the screw that holds the bottom and top shell together. This is why I took it apart and decided to reinforce under the motor as well. Some might never crack but it's a bad design and the new shells aren't much better. The p3's haven't been out that long so I think it's just a matter of time before it cracks do to vibration, heat from the motor, bad mold batch, active braking, or a number of other things. I don't think there will be anyone with a 3 year old p3 that hasn't had a crack at some point. Making the plastic thicker and stronger under the motors is your best bet to avoid ever getting a crack...IMHO

The screws that hold the two body halves together are what make the body's strength. Why use zip ties. That's the worst idea I have heard of.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

The screws that hold the two body halves together are what make the body's strength. Why use zip ties. That's the worst idea I have heard of.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using PhantomPilots mobile app

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji106]. Not to mention looks stupid as hell...

screws are still there the ty simply is over the outside as an extra layer of support
reread maybe,

and who gives a crap about looks. its a tool...

Who gives a crap about looks?? I'm guessing a lot of people on here seeing how many I see painted, hydro dipped or graphics on them. It's more then a tool it's a beautiful piece of engineering... putting zip ties on the arms looks ghetto[emoji14]. You should just wrap duct tape around the arm[emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: HWCM
This is how I temporarily fixed it while preparing to replace the whole shell on my own... I've purchased nylon screws and washers to use in place of metal ones under the arms... I think they will improve vibrations stress effects on affected positions
Noy really, nylon screws are weak and will allow the two halves to twist and you will probably end up with more problems and cracks.

The zip ties, in that location, provide little, if any support to the areas that are susceptible to cracking. The screws that secure the shell halves together, if loosened, will allow more twist to the arms, which may actually contribute to stress cracks. Over tightening the screws will either split the plastic boss due to hoop stress, or break the boss free altogether. There is no easy solution here, one is at the mercy of the quality of the design, and the injection molding process setup during the production run of the shell components, which can vary during the run itself. Back to the zip ties. The cracks I have seen occur at the motor mounting area. The torque forces induced during flight twist the shell halves. Wrapping a nylon tie around the circumference of the "neck" of the arm does nothing to mitigate this twisting motion.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik