Opening and closing the controller, do not OVER TIGHTEN the screws.

• Thread starter Deleted member 120647
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 120647

I have managed to get hold of a couple of controllers which have been fitted with range extending antennae.
I have had reason to open their cases and what I found inside was not good.

In both it appears that some or all of the screws that were removed to allow these antennae to be fitted have been very much over tightened during the reassembly. This has resulted in the splitting of the stand-offs into which these screws screw. In some instances the damage to the stand off has been so bad that the original screws have had no grip and they have been replaced by either or both, longer and thicker screws. In other instances the mating hole-end has been broken off the other case half. Both have had glues applied

When putting the self tapping screws back in place I have seen mention of first, resting them in place then backing them off until the screw is felt dropping back into its old thread, this strikes me as a good idea and might save stripping the thread out of the stand off.

I may be a bit of a perfectionist in this respect, both controllers worked and that may be enough for some people, but I prefer undamaged cases etc.

These came from entirely different sources with entirely different makes and styles of antennae so I very much doubt that the same person fitted the antennae and reassembled the cases.

So if you have reason to open your controller remember, during reassembly, you are not trying to anchor King Kong.

I have managed to get hold of a couple of controllers which have been fitted with range extending antennae.
I have had reason to open their cases and what I found inside was not good.

In both it appears that some or all of the screws that were removed to allow these antennae to be fitted have been very much over tightened during the reassembly. This has resulted in the splitting of the stand-offs into which these screws screw. In some instances the damage to the stand off has been so bad that the original screws have had no grip and they have been replaced by either or both, longer and thicker screws. In other instances the mating hole-end has been broken off the other case half. Both have had glues applied

When putting the self tapping screws back in place I have seen mention of first, resting them in place then backing them off until the screw is felt dropping back into its old thread, this strikes me as a good idea and might save stripping the thread out of the stand off.

I may be a bit of a perfectionist in this respect, both controllers worked and that may be enough for some people, but I prefer undamaged cases etc.

These came from entirely different sources with entirely different makes and styles of antennae so I very much doubt that the same person fitted the antennae and reassembled the cases.

So if you have reason to open your controller remember, during reassembly, you are not trying to anchor King Kong.
It has not been uncommon for parts to break off inside the RC's. It's sad how many times we've seen it reported. Often it has been the screws on the sticks or the RTH button which breaks off and then the sticks themselves or the RTH button become loose or even fall off inside of the RC. People say they can hear broken plastic parts and screws rattling around inside their RCs.

Quality is suspect at times. We've even seen several posts about components, connectors and buttons (such as link button) falling off of PCBs. Not to mention all of the shell cracks on the AC.

I am not disagreeing with anything you wrote but in the controllers I mentioned I am quite content that the damage was caused by someone overtightening the screws during reassembly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yip our hands are not torque wrenches
If you want something to avoid this on any phantom part,can get things like this..screwdriver torque gadget thingy,,many sorts available,,me has had this issue after doing p3s mod to remote,1 screw no longer tighten cause me over tighten it
246_b1__86251.1491938213.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic