Who flys in the winter?

I did a short flight today with a high of 42° and 8 mph wind and I could tell the bird was struggling, or I was struggling. I am very new to this hobby and enjoy reading almost as much as flying. I can relate my job of winter golf and the way the ball flies in the winter to how the bird will struggle if that makes sense.

Can and should we monitor battery temp during flight on the device that is linked to it? I know how to view it when I am making adjustment in the house post flight.

Love all the positive posts and help this group gives!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: FinnBalorisReal
I did a short flight today with a high of 42° and 8 mph wind and I could tell the bird was struggling, or I was struggling. I am very new to this hobby and enjoy reading almost as much as flying. I can relate my job of winter golf and the way the ball flies in the winter to how the bird will struggle if that makes sense.

Can and should we monitor battery temp during flight on the device that is linked to it? I know how to view it when I am making adjustment in the house post flight.

It should fly fine in that temp. I fly in temps like that ALL the time and never had any battery issues, the lowest temp I flew it in was 27 degrees.

Reactions: Markie Mantle
Golfer here as well. Winter is miserable.

Reactions: Markie Mantle
I honestly think its too easy to blame Temperature and other items than to look at real reasons.

Lipo's are the basis of the DJI battery, millions of people around the world fly models with LiPo's in extremes of temperature.
The aircraft and flight app have some fancy detection to say warming up etc. but so far I don't think anyone has actually proven that DJI program the model to NOT fly ... which would be in contradiction of all other RC disciplines.

Reports of DJI setting a 15C limit - just plain ludicrous !! Especially that the Specifications state clearly 0C to 40C operation capability. And we know plenty people fly at lower and higher temps than that.

I've flown my P3S in temps of -5C already with no discernible problems at all ...

I shall be flying my P3S in much power temps than that once I get back home from Vladivostok. It can drop to -25 ... -30C around my house in winter ... at about -10C I start to reconsider whether I want to fly !! Its not because of the model - its because I then start to have trouble keeping hands warm while holding controller ...
Batterys - I have a Beer Cooler bag that is made to carry a 6-pack ... I make sure its warmed up indoors and batterys warm when placed in. Closed up and stays in the car while at the field, only opened momentarily to get pack out and quickly closed. Battery pack then into pocket before fitting to whatever model I am flying ... plane, Heli or multi-rotor.

Nigel

For anyone interested - this may be of use :

Turnigy Programmable Lipo Battery Warmer Bag (12v DC)

33990.jpg

Nice size for 2 DJI batterys .... or whatever you have ... can run of a standard 3S LiPo or 12v Gelcel or plug into the car ciggy socket but not with engine running (alternator output is over 14v).

I'm going to order one to compliment my beer cooler bag !

Nigel

Your house gets that cold? You really ought to consider installing a furnace...

Tee Hee !!

Actually we have 3 forms of heating .... large cast iron wood burner fire in kitchen with warm air system to rest of house ... gas fired central heating .... electric convectors as back up.

Sometimes you just don't feel like going outside !

Cheers
Nigel

Any of you guys fly in the winter or do you let your bird rest until it warms up again?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
This is the most important part of cold whether flying. It goes for all mechanical equipment and cameras. Before you come inside, make sure that your bird is back in its case sealed tightly or if it's just a DSLR wrap it up in your coat and let them sit inside for at least an hour. This allows the gear to come up to room tempter very slowly. If you just bring it in and set it on the table what you don't see is all the condensation that is created inside collecting on every metal and glass surface. This causes rust and corrosion of delicate parts and can lead to mold building up inside your lens.

My 2 cents.
rb

Heck, it's more about MY comfort for flying in cold than all of the above for the quad. :)

Too cold, I don't fly :)

Im not recommending this particular item, just showing as an example as I do not own a transmitter glove.

Transmitter Winter Cover & Warmer | eBay

My old hands can't take the cold. I keep the car running and warm as much for my hands as spare phantom batteries. I've got a bunch of chemical hand warmers left over from sitting at football games this fall, I was thinking of rubber banding them to batteries this winter.

I also have trouble with my observer.....she won't get out of the car when it's cold.....

Did a flight this morning. Was 24 degrees outside. Wind was quite nice for once (less then 4 mph) so I decided to head to a nearby church and do some flying. Since I was up early, got a nice shot during sunrise.

I wish we could speed up global warming. I'm hoping for palm trees in New York one day. :)

Not a huge fan of winter. But, for flying UAV; you may see a range/signal benefit by being able to get signal through bare leafed trees as opposed to when the growth is all thick and lush.

My rule of thumb would be, if it's too cold for me - too cold to fly.

Patiently waiting for spring.

Great string here. I'm looking forward to my first opportunity to shoot snow scenes with a P4.

Winter flying. I use handwarmers on the iPad back.
Battery life is reduced
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I did a flight today and at some of the times I had to take major maneuvers to avoid birds migrating south.

Love the music btw.

Battery life is reduced
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Battery life is reduced

I think you meant to say - FLIGHT TIME is reduced .....

Battery life due to cold will not be reduced - in fact cold actually helps extend battery life. Many people put LiPo to storage charge and then into a cold place or refridgerator. But do not Freeze them - that is a no-no.

Nigel

I think you meant to say - FLIGHT TIME is reduced .....

Battery life due to cold will not be reduced - in fact cold actually helps extend battery life. Many people put LiPo to storage charge and then into a cold place or refridgerator. But do not Freeze them - that is a no-no.

Nigel

When it's very cold, cell life, thus flight time reduces. In addition there is a built in battery feature that reduces flight speed/performance in cold temperatures. Cold means below freezing.
In addition the iPad battery life also reduces when below freezing.
I know....I live in Canada..!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.