Who flys in the winter?

When it's very cold, cell life, thus flight time reduces. In addition there is a built in battery feature that reduces flight speed/performance in cold temperatures. Cold means below freezing.
In addition the iPad battery life also reduces when below freezing.
I know....I live in Canada..!!

Battery life is the total number of cycles before a battery is dead and cannot be recharged to work again.

Battery RUN TIME is the time a battery will deliver useable power before needing to recharge.

With cold weather - battery internal chemistry slows down and power delivery is reduced. In moderate cold temps usually only the max amps / full throttle capability is seen to reduce. But as temp reduces further you get reduced RUN TIME as well as reduced max power. It has nothing to do with battery LIFE.

Sorry but you are confusing RUN TIME with LIFE ... the two are totally separate and different.

Nigel

Yes, Nigel, you are right, I meant battery run time and not battery life. Thanks for the clarification and the explanation.
Jacques

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Hi Jacques ... no problem, just don't want some newcomers to this hobby to get wrong impression.
Cheers
Nigel

I fly from inside the van when its cold. I just sit in the passenger seat and aim out the front windshield.
I do the same. Sit in passenger seat with car running and heat on. this was taken last winter. 28 degrees and 16 mph winds. No problem. I keep everything warm on the front seat until I'm ready to fly.

winter 04.jpg

Any of you guys fly in the winter or do you let your bird rest until it warms up again?

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Warm up?? I fly all winter long. It's the best time to fly. I live in Phoenix and the winter highs are around 60 degrees. Makes great flying weather. I take mine on my hikes, hike up to the top of one of our local mountains and get some great shots. I tried to upload a Video I just shot out in Phoenix but it won't let me upload it for some reason...

Warm up?? I fly all winter long. It's the best time to fly. I live in Phoenix and the winter highs are around 60 degrees. Makes great flying weather. I take mine on my hikes, hike up to the top of one of our local mountains and get some great shots. I tried to upload a Video I just shot out in Phoenix but it won't let me upload it for some reason...
Phoenix?
Haha this is not winter

images.jpg

THIS is winter

r-SNOWSTORM-large570.jpg

I plan on doing some flying this winter. I was going to try after the snow quit today, but it is snowing too hard right now. Maybe tomorrow after the snow stops.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj