Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

My favorite place is the wedge at Newport where most of the time I have enjoyed un interrupted flying with low crowd and beautiful sea line, and another place is top of the world at Laguna, with such a vast open place and hardly anything to worry about hitting. If you drive little bit there are couple of more lakes.
No over or even near the water missions, thank you very much:> However, every time we drive through Laguna Canyon I think how fun it would be to fly around there. I'll look for top of the world. Sounds perfect. I just want to get more comfortable with altitude and distance without fear of hitting the side of a mountain or miscalculating the height of the trees. Thank you so much.

By the way, does Laguna's new ordinances affect flying there? I don't see this park listed as a NFZ on the Laguna Beach official We Hate Drones web page. There is some video on YouTube and it's clearly a great place to fly and not worry about killing anyone.

Last edited:
By the way, does Laguna's new ordinances affect flying there? I don't see this park listed as a NFZ on the Laguna Beach official We Hate Drones web page. There is some video on YouTube and it's clearly a great place to fly and not worry about killing anyone.

I did not see any no fly warnings around the top of the world, and also had seen some dudes flying their tiny sparks around the same place, this place is little far from the exact Laguna coast. Best part of ToTW is that you will be above everything around. Just keep an eye for the occasional helicopters that circles around the area.

I have the same question?
I went to the Laguna Beach City "We Hate Drones" web page and read the text bumper-to-bumper. In a nutshell they are trying to keep the missions away from Main Beach and a few other popular places as well as the homes. They listed a few parks but not Top of the World officially known as Alta Laguna Park. I'll be making the trip out there very soon.

Irvine Lake was my first stop today. Pretty sad, actually. The entrance is disintegrating, a dilapidated guard shack is ready to fall under it's own weight, and there is a huge chain-link fence that closes everything off. On the other side of the fence is a sea of RV's, boats, trucks and trailers. It's a mass-storage yard. Continued down the road to Oak Canyon Park, however, there was a vintage car show taking place. Everywhere up and down Blue Diamond Haul Road had gates, no trespassing signs and barbed wire fences everywhere. I think there is opportunity there somewhere. Just need to keep looking.
I've flown here before, just West of Oak Park in a dirt lot. Nobody was there, never got harassed. Flying over to the dam from here is a good flight.

upload_2017-10-12_22-35-53.png

Reactions: LarBear360
My favorite place is the wedge at Newport where most of the time I have enjoyed un interrupted flying with low crowd and beautiful sea line, and another place is top of the world at Laguna, with such a vast open place and hardly anything to worry about hitting. If you drive little bit there are couple of more lakes.
Near the Wedge at Corona Del Mar Beach there's a great place to fly from, up on the rocks, kinda hidden from everyone else. On weekdays few people are around, but you should never try this site on a weekend.

upload_2017-10-12_22-42-34.png

Here's the place to fly from, situated up on the rocks. Notice you have shade from the rocks in the winter and spring. This is right on the 5mi mark for John Wayne Airport, just 100' on the other side of the rock is outside the 5mi mark. It's perfectly safe on weekdays when nobody is around.
upload_2017-10-12_22-43-9.png

There is a new DJI store going to open this saturday at Costa Mesa. Would likely visit to check what's new! Any one else thinking to stop by?

Hello! New owner of P3S and was wondering about good places around South Orange County? I've taken it out on Aliso and Wood Canyons area as well as some of the Irvine farm land area.

Reactions: HarleyKen
Come to the Dana Point harbor and surrounding areas. That’s where I fly all the time. Park Rangers might approach you but only to remind you of safe flying etc.
4b113367d33989fda34568b1f022373c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm still staying close to home in Irvine. Mostly city parks and some open fields adjacent to all the new construction. Aliso and Wood Canyons look better than any place I'm currently flying. May just head down there this weekend.

Another park I'm interested in is known as Top of the World in Laguna Beach. . The park's official name is Alta Laguna Park.

Aliso and Woods canyons are just a stones throw from DP.
Top of the world is beautiful and lots of places to fly, but you will need to do some hiking to get away from all the people at the park. But it’s great flying when you get away!

Aliso and Woods canyons are just a stones throw from DP.
Top of the world is beautiful and lots of places to fly, but you will need to do some hiking to get away from all the people at the park. But it’s great flying when you get away!

I don't mind hiking. Looking forward to heading up there

Looks like that take off spot in DP is off Scenic Drive near the Chart House? That is maybe 15 minutes from me...

So I went to Dana Point yesterday and went to the spot marked as "home" in HarleyKen's post and there is a sign saying No Unmanned Drones (or something similar with a pic of drone)...Is the catch, you don't take off from the reserve? I was literally parked at the roundabout on Green Lantern.

I have hit Salt Creek twice now. No issues both from the park or the sand.

Any Orange County guys (or girls) interested meeting for breakfast at the Rooster Cafe to talk about flight spots, this Saturday, Nov 4th at 9am? Then afterwards walk across the street to the new DJI store that opens at 10am? I'll be in a black DJI tshirt, outside table if it's a nice day. PM me if interested.

Rooster Cafe
750 St Clair St
Costa Mesa, CA

upload_2017-10-30_21-35-43.png

Last edited:
Hey Guys n Gals.. I have a P3A and want to get some practice flying, learning my bird before the summer. I'm going to be taking her on fishing trips out in the Pacific so need to learn as much as possible so I don't lose her and have to buy a Mavic or P4 (which I will probably do anyway haha). My question.. is it legal to fly the Santa Ana River ? I'm not looking for stunning visuals right now, just somewhere to get used to flying. I'm in Yorba Linda... Thanks so much, Aaron
Here's what you can do with a Mavic on the Santa Ana riverbed, captured about a month ago. It's OK to fly there. I fly from the riverbed bike path and use the free parking at the west end of Yorba Regional Park. There are better places to fly than the riverbed for practice in or near Yorba Linda. PM me to discuss.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shan

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1