Where to fly - Orange County, Southern California

As seen in my various posts/videos here in this thread, Huntington Beach (being from here) is my most popular place to fly. It also helps that I live here. ;)

You're good along the coast and beaches as long as all other FAA and community (AMA) rules are being followed. If you fly away from the coast, be aware of other rules such as not taking off or landing in city parks, near hospitals, power plant, police heliport, schools, unprotected people, etc.

Also, FYI, all of HB is in Class E airspace (not that it matters to UAS pilots). There are a couple of areas in Class C and Class D airspace, so be aware of those areas, too. These aren't all the rules, so please do some research for yourself.

If anyone wants to fly the pier anytime, let me know—I can show you the ropes.

Coming out to the Long Beach area from the UK in October and would be very interested in flying with you if you're around.

Had my first crash in Laguna beach :D
At some times the ocean water comes very close to shore leaving very narrow space for maneuvering..
and I have also read the news about $100 photography rules... that's a bummer, Laguna being the closest from my place that used to be my destination of photo experiments...:mad:

Anyone know of any flying restrictions in the Brea or Fullerton area?

FYI. I fly in the CA State beach in Dana Point all the time. There is one protected space along the headland area but as long as you fly safe and follow FAA regulations you can fly. This is per the park rangers here who kindly reminded me of those rules.
Lots of wonderful places to film here.

Absolutely, I plan on capturing whales migrating along Palos Verdes peninsula, near the Vicente lighthouse. There's a good launch site about 1200' south of the lighthouse, on a cliff. March is a good month for this, through mid April. Bring your binoculars and lawn chair, along with a brockumbrella hat, or screen shade.
Just FYI, there's a drone policy in place in the city of Rancho Palos Verdes, where Point Vicente lighthouse situates. You cannot fly on any city-owned lands, including parks. There is only 1 site you can legally fly a drone here which requires you to join a flying club and applying for a permit.

http://www.rpvca.gov/DocumentCenter/Home/View/8623

Last edited:
Though it's been a couple of months since anyone replied t this thread, it would be nice to keep it going with updates since it's been more than 6 months since the first post.

I'm looking for open spaces in or near Irvine. Contrary to what a few people have reported, drones are permitted to be flown in Irvine city parks. Information on Drones. But all of these parks are surrounded by homes and I prefer to stay away from people!

Irvine Lake is maybe 20 minutes away.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.

Though it's been a couple of months since anyone replied t this thread, it would be nice to keep it going with updates since it's been more than 6 months since the first post.

I'm looking for open spaces in or near Irvine. Contrary to what a few people have reported, drones are permitted to be flown in Irvine city parks. Information on Drones. But all of these parks are surrounded by homes and I prefer to stay away from people!

Irvine Lake is maybe 20 minutes away.

Thoughts and suggestions greatly appreciated.
Here's more information to back it up: Information on Drones

Irvine Lake is great for flying drones! It's a nice and open spot with few to no people.

Contrary to what a few people have reported, drones are permitted to be flown in Irvine city parks. Information on Drones.

I wouldn't say "contrary to what other people say". There are specific parks in Irvine that have no UAV signage. I live in Irvine, have a Irvine business license and part 107. Have spoken to city hall and Irvine police. I'm glad they've finally posted this information on their website as it does not absolve people from paying attention to signage and knowing the rules (i.e. Don't fly over people). It only takes one person in a park to complain to the police then you're booted out because you "flew to close to people". They frequently boot people out of the larger parks for this very reason.
Just saying...

I wouldn't say "contrary to what other people say". There are specific parks in Irvine that have no UAV signage. I live in Irvine, have a Irvine business license and part 107. Have spoken to city hall and Irvine police. I'm glad they've finally posted this information on their website as it does not absolve people from paying attention to signage and knowing the rules (i.e. Don't fly over people). It only takes one person in a park to complain to the police then you're booted out because you "flew to close to people". They frequently boot people out of the larger parks for this very reason.
Just saying...

Part of Irvine is within the 5 mile range of John Wayne Airport, and some parks, like Harvard Park, don't allow drones. Other than that, I still recommend Irvine Lake for a nice water and mountain shot.

Those looks like nice places to fly! I'll keep this thread bookmarked. ;)

I'm interested on that Great Park though, but I really don't like flying by myself most of the times. And I guess I'll keep my AMA card with me at all times now, LOL.

Well since I'm right next to the OC area, the best places in my turf is any Palos Verdes beach (especially White point, Abalone Cove and Korean Friendship Bell (actually San Pedro)) and Manhattan Beach (and northwards). Just avoid the refineries and shipping docks since it's a no-fly zone there. I haven't heard anyone having trouble flying in the other areas though.
I fly there and have not been harassed .I use to fly at field of dreams but that was with my RC planes.

Just saying...
You are absolutely right. I tried Quail Hill Community Park today. There is a sign posted stating RC planes are not permitted, Too bad. Huge field and it was void of anybody. Not even a dog walker or two. Nobody. I respected that and left.

Across the street is Quail Hill Trail Head. Open land but a bit hilly and lots of high brush. No signs other than to watch out so as to not get eaten by a mountain Lion but I'm still too timid to chance it.

Went to plan B which was another community park without any rules. Also very open and zero people. Had a nice time and may try again next week.

Part of Irvine is within the 5 mile range of John Wayne Airport, and some parks, like Harvard Park, don't allow drones. Other than that, I still recommend Irvine Lake for a nice water and mountain shot.
Irvine Lake was my first stop today. Pretty sad, actually. The entrance is disintegrating, a dilapidated guard shack is ready to fall under it's own weight, and there is a huge chain-link fence that closes everything off. On the other side of the fence is a sea of RV's, boats, trucks and trailers. It's a mass-storage yard. Continued down the road to Oak Canyon Park, however, there was a vintage car show taking place. Everywhere up and down Blue Diamond Haul Road had gates, no trespassing signs and barbed wire fences everywhere. I think there is opportunity there somewhere. Just need to keep looking.

I fly there and have not been harassed .I use to fly at field of dreams but that was with my RC planes.
Fly where and have not been harassed?
Fly where and not been harassed? He mentioned a number of different spots. I'm considering getting the needed membership(s) to fly at the Great Park.

Fly where and have not been harassed?

Fly where and not been harassed? He mentioned a number of different spots. I'm considering getting the needed membership(s) to fly at the Great Park.

Try this spot. It's wide open during weekends and evenings when no construction work. It's near the great park. I fly here all the time to line out new firmwares and testing.
Dropped Pin
near Orange County Great Park, Irvine, CA
Google Maps
33°41'36.0"N 117°44'02.7"W

Try this spot. It's wide open during weekends and evenings when no construction work. It's near the great park. I fly here all the time to line out new firmwares and testing.
Dropped Pin
near Orange County Great Park, Irvine, CA
Google Maps
33°41'36.0"N 117°44'02.7"W
Perfect. That's near where I live and that's all I need is a practice field for testing. There was yet another firmware upgrade today when I got home. Was out testing my Itelite range extender when I lost signal at just 350 feet. RTH kicked in and so I decided to play it out. It came right back. I only tested RTH once so this was a great unplanned demonstration that it works as it should. I think the angel of the DBS was pointed too high (from storage) and not so much directly at the AC. Only my second flight with this new mod so I taped a reminder to the RC to aim the thing better next time.

Reactions: 2nd2non
My favorite place is the wedge at Newport where most of the time I have enjoyed un interrupted flying with low crowd and beautiful sea line, and another place is top of the world at Laguna, with such a vast open place and hardly anything to worry about hitting. If you drive little bit there are couple of more lakes.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj