Reaction score
hey guys, so i live in the bay area and i would like to know where are some good places to go fly and get some good footage around. it can be anywhere around.

I downloaded the Airmaps App (available in iOS & Android, free) and checked out the Bay Area. It looks like mostly restricted airspace. There is an airport practically every 10 miles and there are other issues with other airspaces. The Airmaps people have partnered with DJI to make sure the drones cannot fly in restricted airspaces. I got lucky and live in an area that is not restricted. I recommend the app for every drone pilot. Can't beat the price.

AirMap is pretty sweet so +1 for that app. I almost wish it didn't exist as it makes it too easy to see where you can't fly :/ haha

I'm in SF Bay Area as well and in doing my own research since I got my P4P I've noticed it's tricky with all the airports, national recreation areas, parks, populated areas, etc., lots of locations are questionable or have some sort of advisory. Pretty much the whole city is off limits since you can't fly over people, and lots of the coastal areas in SF is National Park land, so no go. I've been hitting state parks in the North Bay, which are largely unregulated as of yet, but lots of the coast there (Marin Headlands, Point Reyes, etc.) is national parkland so sort of a bummer. There are some large parks in the East Bay that don't have major restrictions as well. If you're in the South Bay you're sorta sol as there's a million airports down the Peninsula and, San Jose and Silicon Valley, though you can head West towards Half Moon Bay and Pescadero and there's plenty of open airspace.

Just took a quick peek at the AirMap, see the attached screenshot for all the advisories across the Bay Area, you can pepper in some fly time here and there just gotta go find it :) If you're going to fly commercial for a professional job you can always apply for a permit/exemption, but for tooling around check the AirMap and have fun exploring!

Hope that's helpful. Anyone else have SF Bay Area location ideas/tips/suggestions?

Attachments

• AirMap SF Bay Area Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 7.22.42 AM.png
    AirMap SF Bay Area Screen Shot 2017-01-03 at 7.22.42 AM.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 354
Reactions: Dgarri8413

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic