Reaction score
I hope other p3 se owners help me with this because I'm really confused !!!
Lately, I bought the phantom 3 SE knowing that it was the most recent phantom 3 ever made ( so logically it was the most expensive too...), knowing also that it came out after the phantom 4 I thought that it would be really amazing, and first of all the most advanced.......But let's not celebrate too early... It was just like the phantom 3 standard !!!
And after doing a few pieces of research on the Internet I found surprisingly that the Phantom 3 pro, which came out BEFORE the P3 SE and which is LESS expensive, way better than the phantom 3 se !!!!
I mean it was literally more advanced ( better controller, better signal, better camera, etc.) !!!!
So PLEASE can anyone tell me why the Phantom 3 Special Edition, is actually SPECIAL ?????!!!!!!!
Why did I spend 200 € more for buying this thing instead of buying another drone which is less expensive and more advanced ???
Why DJI called this thing SPECIAL?!!

Thanks in advance...

Why did I spend 200 € more for buying this thing instead of buying another drone which is less expensive and more advanced ???
That is an easy question to answer. This is because you did your thorough research AFTER and not BEFORE the fact. You stated that above. Yes it is basically a P3S. See this link for more detail: Phantom 3 Standard vs Phantom 3SE

Reactions: 3rdof5
I hope other p3 se owners help me with this because I'm really confused !!!
Lately, I bought the phantom 3 SE knowing that it was the most recent phantom 3 ever made ( so logically it was the most expensive too...), knowing also that it came out after the phantom 4 I thought that it would be really amazing, and first of all the most advanced.......But let's not celebrate too early... It was just like the phantom 3 standard !!!
And after doing a few pieces of research on the Internet I found surprisingly that the Phantom 3 pro, which came out BEFORE the P3 SE and which is LESS expensive, way better than the phantom 3 se !!!!
I mean it was literally more advanced ( better controller, better signal, better camera, etc.) !!!!
So PLEASE can anyone tell me why the Phantom 3 Special Edition, is actually SPECIAL ?????!!!!!!!
Why DJI called this thing SPECIAL?!!

Thanks in advance...
The Phantom 3 SE was an edition originally designed for China. It is basically a Phantom 3 4K, but without the VPS underneath. I am sorry to hear that you overpaid for this drone. I don't know how to say this without sounding like an a$$, but you should've done your research before buying it.

Edit: I stand corrected. The P3SE does have VPS. Then basically it's just a P3 4K but with more range if you are in FCC.

Phantom 3 4k vs SE

Last edited:
Reactions: 3rdof5 and Starz
I've always wondered this very same thing. Very interesting!!!

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Honoestly my dude, what's pi$$ing me off is how many problems I have been having with mine. VPS system was acting up and drone was drifting too much until I downgraded the firmware and then RE-upgraded the frimware. And then one beautiful day I was soaring in the big blue sky when suddenly my drone didn't want to take videos anymore. Now it only takes 720p videos and anything above freezes the record button and spits out "Invalid SIM Card". I have spent countless time trying to figure out why, and nothing. 6 very fast Micro SD cards later, taking off the gimbal and cleaning all the contacts etc etc ETC ETC and NOTHING, so now I have a walmart quality potato sitting downstairs. SMH

That is an easy question to answer. This is because you did your thorough research AFTER and not BEFORE the fact. You stated that above. Yes it is basically a P3S. See this link for more detail: Phantom 3 Standard vs Phantom 3SE
It’s more like a P3P without external dipoles on the remote- the patch antennas that were used for downlink on the standard perform that function. The SE was a great way for DJI to use up parts. The biggest difference between the SE and the standard is the SE has lightbridge. The RF section has been deleted from the mainboard and the same OFDM module as used on the P3P/A fitted, along with the VPS module. The biggest let down is DJI never releasing an SDK to allow proper functionality with third party apps.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
It’s more like a P3P without external dipoles on the remote- the patch antennas that were used for downlink on the standard perform that function. The SE was a great way for DJI to use up parts. The biggest difference between the SE and the standard is the SE has lightbridge. The RF section has been deleted from the mainboard and the same OFDM module as used on the P3P/A fitted, along with the VPS module. The biggest let down is DJI never releasing an SDK to allow proper functionality with third party apps.

Are you sure the SE has lightbridge? Before I bought mine several review sources said no Lightbridge, it just has 5.8GHZ Wifi to increase the Range. My range is somewhere at 5KM with a Beer-can range extender mod so no problems there but if you look at my above comment i have MUCH more pressing problems.

Capture.PNG

this

Reactions: denwood and 3rdof5
Are you sure the SE has lightbridge? Before I bought mine several review sources said no Lightbridge, it just has 5.8GHZ Wifi to increase the Range. My range is somewhere at 5KM with a Beer-can range extender mod so no problems there but if you look at my above comment i have MUCH more pressing problems.
Yes. It uses exactly the same OFDM module as the P3A&P. The antenna on the remote that was used for control signal on the standard/4K is repurposed and does nothing more than provide for the wifi connection to your phone/tablet. The internal patch antennas in the remote are used for the link to the phantom.

Doesn’t make it incorrect.
It makes the statement "Lightbridge" incorrect. It may have the same and or similar function as far as integrated components go, but the statement is misleading for some.

Capture.PNG

Ah there you go, when my SE was acting up with it's VPS I took off the VPS module that dude in this video is holding in his left hand. That panel underneath is the OFDM reciever. My SE doesn't have this, I know this beacause when I took off my VPS theres nothing but plastic underneath. I don't think we have lightbridge Will The Birds

View attachment 108459

Ah there you go, when my SE was acting up with it's VPS I took off the VPS module that dude in this video is holding in his left hand. That panel underneath is the OFDM reciever. My SE doesn't have this, I know this beacause when I took off my VPS theres nothing but plastic underneath. I don't think we have lightbridge Will The Birds
A picture says 1000 words. My understanding (re the AC hardware) was from a tech at a DJI authorised repair facility who claimed to have had one in for a shell replacement. The remote setup is from various threads here following the SE release.

When released the Se was about half the price of a p3p and was the trade off between the lower range and the upper range of the P3 family going in I knew it was not as good as a P3A/P but it was away of getting into 4K Video. And fly At distance I think that the wifi connection was DJI testing out the Wifi for a Mavic Air and is the reason why I would never buy one of those. Am I happy with it (Yes) As my first “real” Drone It has been a way for me to get into DJI with out spending The big Cash the 4K Video is Awesome and I’ve had it out at distance enough to satisfy my flyboy soul. Like anything research into what you’re buying is Key

And.....Doug...you took the words right out of my mouth......i came to Dji from a $54.00 drone....I too have a P3 SE and Right the 4K video cameras awesome.
its a long ways from being called a few bad words too....its called a " Dji P 3 SE " ! and for what i use and fly my P 3 SE for...... i Love it !

Here in the States..My "Papa Three SE".... cost me $100.00 more then the bottom of the line up of Phantoms !
The OP that started this thread..where is he.....too bad not many put where they are as what country or what Island ect.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic