What's Latest Thoughts on Marco Polo

OK, so leave the tracker turned off, and call the number you think is a service.
Betcha no answer. And no location info, either.
Probably works just like the old TK102. You setup your cell phone as "authorized" by texting a specific message to the tracker. It then texts you back with "ok". From then on, anytime it receives a call from your cell phone, it texts back the coordinates. There may be some app in the middle to dress it up, but they all work basically the same way.

Reactions: PunaPhantom
I purchased a Marco Polo about 2 years ago and it has save my drone several times. All I can say is that it has paid for itself many times over regarding successful drone ( an RC aircraft) retrieval. The range is only about a couple of miles but you can drive around until your in range. I have no complaints what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I purchased a Marco Polo about 2 years ago and it has save my drone several times. All I can say is that it has paid for itself many times over regarding successful drone ( an RC aircraft) retrieval. The range is only about a couple of miles but you can drive around until your in range. I have no complaints what so ever.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
That's what appeals to me about MP, if you can get anywhere near it, you communicate directly with it. No ma bell involved.

No. I said the tracker has the info but if I have no cell service, I can't call it. If I move to an area that has cell service, I can call it to get the info and then enter the coordinates into my Garmin handheld to go back to area and track it down.
YOU AND The TRACKER has to have cell service in order for this system to work. If only you have cell service but the tracker is in an area that it has no cell service, you will be unable to call and get coordinates since the tracker is unable to contact "the service" to provide its current coordinates. thus you will be unable to get the coordinates.

Back to the OP question...

I have the Marco Polo attached to the landing gear with the antenna in a vertical direction per the manufacturer instructions.
P4P_800.jpg

I've tested the radio tracker in the field and was able to detect and follow the signal to the transmitter.

Reactions: F3honda4me
No. The tracker does not need cell service to KNOW where it is at. I only need cell service to call it to get that info.
I don't think you know what you're talking about. The craft requires cell service to report it's GPS location, doesn't matter who you call. If it's down in a canyon or in rural mountain areas, sometimes the craft will have no cell service. This happens to me all the time, flying in areas where I can't download maps via cell, because there's no cell service. So I went with MarcoPolo.

MarcoPolo is definitely more difficult to use and locate a craft, no doubt, but it works everywhere. As seldom as I need it I think it fits my flying style/locations best. I've only tested it once and it worked find about 1.5mi away. I had a friend hide the drone. It took me an hour, but I found it. In more rugged territory it might take even longer to find.

The battery in MarcoPolo lasts for 30 days in sleep mode, waiting to be triggered for beacon mode when lost. On the contrary GPS units (such as Trackimo) typically only last about 3 to 4 days when on and reporting locations. With MP, if I'm on vacation for a week, I simply leave the MP on (sleep mode) all the time during the 9 day's I'm flying. That way I don't have to remember to turn it on and off with each flight. After 15 days (half discharged) of sleep mode use I recharge it since in beacon mode it will ping for about 7 days on a full charge. On a half charge that goes down to about 3 days, which is enough time to find the craft.

Reactions: RamFade and len750
I give up. Hope you never lose it. :)

I'm with you on this one. At first I thought it was baiting, but I honestly think he hasn't thought it through.

Bird + cell service = can transmit location
Bird - cell service = can't transmit location

Interestingly, I imagine even with cell coverage it can't transmit location if gps is spotty. Probably just last position fix recorded.

Reactions: Techcop50
I'm with you on this one. At first I thought it was baiting, but I honestly think he hasn't thought it through.

Bird + cell service = can transmit location
Bird - cell service = can't transmit location

Interestingly, I imagine even with cell coverage it can't transmit location if gps is spotty. Probably just last position fix recorded.

+1 I did chuckle to myself this afternoon reading this thread. You guys are very patient. I also think he just doesn't quite get it...

Reactions: The Ghost
I don't think you know what you're talking about. The craft requires cell service to report it's GPS location, doesn't matter who you call. If it's down in a canyon or in rural mountain areas, sometimes the craft will have no cell service. This happens to me all the time, flying in areas where I can't download maps via cell, because there's no cell service. So I went with MarcoPolo.

MarcoPolo is definitely more difficult to use and locate a craft, no doubt, but it works everywhere. As seldom as I need it I think it fits my flying style/locations best. I've only tested it once and it worked find about 1.5mi away. I had a friend hide the drone. It took me an hour, but I found it. In more rugged territory it might take even longer to find.

The battery in MarcoPolo lasts for 30 days in sleep mode, waiting to be triggered for beacon mode when lost. On the contrary GPS units (such as Trackimo) typically only last about 3 to 4 days when on and reporting locations. With MP, if I'm on vacation for a week, I simply leave the MP on (sleep mode) all the time during the 9 day's I'm flying. That way I don't have to remember to turn it on and off with each flight. After 15 days (half discharged) of sleep mode use I recharge it since in beacon mode it will ping for about 7 days on a full charge. On a half charge that goes down to about 3 days, which is enough time to find the craft.

I may be wrong, but that is what I was told. I thought the Tracker gave info to system via satellites and all I had to do was call system to get the info. But it makes sense in what you are saying. I've never had it not give me the info. I also have always been in areas with cell service. The Drone mods tracker does use multiple cell systems and not restricted to just one. I have had it since 2014 and it has never failed to work as I tested it all over as I drove around my area doing service.
I was reading up on the Marco Polo yesterday and watched a lot of videos. I was ready to buy one until I read some of the negative reports. One I didn't like is you don't get the direction arrow until you are fairly close. Many said you have to start driving around the area you think the drone might be and if lucky you will pick up a signal and can then track its location. The two mile range seems not to be accurate as most claim that would only be if on flat land with no obstructions. Many also said they were only getting maybe 1/4 mile or even less if around any obstacles. Most flyers go much further than that. I'm sure it has its place. If I lose mine 500 feet away I could probably find it without a tracker. If you have no idea which direction it went, you could be looking for a signal for a long time as it does not tell you the direction until you are close. It also does not give you distance, only signal strength. Better than nothing I guess.

Marco Polo here also. No issues, works as it should. But as @Monte55 said above, it's better than nothing. Each pilot has his preferences for a tracker which is great.

But I constantly see threads about lost Phantoms on the forum, and questions about "where to look". An investment in a tracker, ANY applicable tracker for your conditions, will make the search much easier if the bird wanders off.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Marco Polo here also. No issues, works as it should. But as @Monte55 said above, it's better than nothing. Each pilot has his preferences for a tracker which is great.

But I constantly see threads about lost Phantoms on the forum, and questions about "where to look". An investment in a tracker, ANY applicable tracker for your conditions, will make the search much easier if the bird wanders off.

What are your thoughts on the Marco Polo. What distances are you getting. Have you ever got 2 miles, 1 mile..?

What are your thoughts on the Marco Polo. What distances are you getting. Have you ever got 2 miles, 1 mile..?

During 'testing' before using it, the drone was hidden by a friend at different distances and elevations like ground level, in a tree, and next to a friends metal barn. All signals from the tag (transmitter) were picked up at about the 1 to 1 1/2 mile distance. Signal strength and arrow direction were indicated and accurate. The only time there was a direction issue was when it was next to the barn wall. But once I relocated to the same side of the barn as the drone, the signal came in strong and indicated direction correctly, even a half mile away. Not perfect, but still darn impressive.

Just for curiosity sake, I also tested it IN FLIGHT to see if there was a strong signal and if there was any interference between it and the Phantom. Testing showed no apparent interference between the two, and the signal and arrow pointer were accurate even at 400' altitude and 10,000 feet out in flight. (I know, silly to test it in flight, but curiosity got me)

The area I fly has limited cell service, so MP is my choice. Haven't had to use it yet, but it beats just wandering around for days looking.

Reactions: F3honda4me
During 'testing' before using it, the drone was hidden by a friend at different distances and elevations like ground level, in a tree, and next to a friends metal barn. All signals from the tag (transmitter) were picked up at about the 1 to 1 1/2 mile distance. Signal strength and arrow direction were indicated and accurate. The only time there was a direction issue was when it was next to the barn wall. But once I relocated to the same side of the barn as the drone, the signal came in strong and indicated direction correctly, even a half mile away. Not perfect, but still darn impressive.

Just for curiosity sake, I also tested it IN FLIGHT to see if there was a strong signal and if there was any interference between it and the Phantom. Testing showed no apparent interference between the two, and the signal and arrow pointer were accurate even at 400' altitude and 10,000 feet out in flight. (I know, silly to test it in flight, but curiosity got me)

The area I fly has limited cell service, so MP is my choice. Haven't had to use it yet, but it beats just wandering around for days looking.

That sounds promising

That sounds promising

Yeah, it's not too bad. The thicker the woods or underbrush limits the signal distance somewhat, but that's understandable. But it'll get you close enough to give you a fighting chance of finding it. Trackimo works great too in some situations. To each his own I suppose.

If you are referring to the Marco Polo, it should work world wide. It is basically a transmitter and a receiver using a specific frequency.

Regards MP, I'm sure I have read on this forum someone talking about it working on a 900 MHz (?) , frequency which is not allowed in the UK??
I too was looking for something like this but only found US suppliers on eBay, MP never replied to my emails either...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
P4
x3 batteries
Nexus 7 (2013)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT