What's Latest Thoughts on Marco Polo

Reaction score
I did a search for Marco Polo and the most recent are Dec. of last year. However they were about ordering one. The next post is from Sept. 2016...then they go back as far as 2014. Anyone on here used one in the last year or so?
Strongly thinking about ordering one and would sure appreciate anyone's input.
I will mount it to a Pro 4+. Thanks.

Search Youtube for videos of folks testing the Marco Polo. It doesn't rely on wireless connectivity (phone service) so it won't go obsolete due to that, and no monthly fees.
Looks good to me, as most places I fly the phone service is spotty.

I understand the Marco Polo has a range of about 2 miles....under ideal conditions . With people flying long distances and losing their bird, I would think the success rate of finding your bird might be low. I use a Drone Mods locator. If I lost my bird and wasn't within cell service , I can drive to an area that has service...call it and get the coordinates, enter them into my Garmin handheld GPS and go back to track down the bird.

Yes, but what if the bird loses cell service? You can't call it then...

[Qdon't E="Techcop50, post: 1047758, member: 38267"]But you cannot call it if IT loses cell service, right?[/QUOTE]
I dont call the bird. I call the number assigned to the tracker. It tells me where the tracker is anywhere in the US

The tracker is on the bird. The tracking information is transmitted via cell signal, correct? If the tracker loses cell service and the bird continues to fly, you will not be able to get the current location until it recovers a cell signal. It relies on a cell signal to work.
This is from their website:
Features
* Standalone device powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion 1300 mAh battery that will last up to 12 days.
* Compact and lightweight; the device measures 2.6" L x 1.45" W x .75" H (67mm x 37mm x 20mm) and weighs only 53 grams.
* 6 months of service included for free!
* Carrier agnostic. Not forced to rely on a single carrier's network. Triangulates position using all available networks in the area.
* Includes a specialized SIM card that utilizes network hopping to ensure GPS coordinates can be retrieved 99% of the time.
* Two low-cost service plan options to keep your device activated after your free service period expires.
* SOS button for sending GPS coordinates on-demand. Useful if someone else finds your UAV before you do.
* Uses high sensitivity GPS and assisted GPS and operates on the GPRS/GSM network; accuracy range of 3 ft. to 150 ft.
* Thoroughly beta tested by volunteers on a number of popular UAV's: AR.Drone, RC Eye 450, DJI Phantom 1/2/3, Phantom Vision/Vision+, DJI F450, DJI S1000
* Very reliable even in rural or densely populated areas.
* Will not interfere with your UAV's onboard GPS systems.
* U.S. based phone number.
* Crash proof, non-magnetic, water resistant case.
* Two low-cost service plan options to keep your device activated after your 6 months of service expires.
* 1-year manufacturer's warranty
* FCC and CE certified device; RoHS compliant

Last edited:
I assume it's the same way a normal gps works. It has the info being connected to the many satellites in the skies. I just need cell service to call it.

I assume it's the same way a normal gps works. It has the info being connected to the many satellites in the skies. I just need cell service to call it.

GPS is one way, downstream. The tracker needs a cell signal in order to send data about where it is. If the tracker can't get cell signal, it's a paperweight at that point. You can't call it if IT doesn't have a cell signal or service.

If you fly where there is always cell service then it's a non issue.

My Garmin GPS units have no cell service....splain that Lucy
I'm not sure what you want explained? GPS means the device knows where it is.

GPS = system that devices use to pull data from satellites in order to determine their position.

GPS is NOT used for YOU to communicate with the device though. For that you need something else such as cell service. (Or in the case of your garmin, you're standing there looking at it)

So your tracker has GPS and cellular (just like a cell phone). GPS is used for position but without cellular service such as a dead zone or someplace rural without cell towers and cell service, you can't "call" your tracker to get that info of where your tracker is.

Cancel the cell service of your tracker. Then try to find it. Same concept.

Last edited:
Reactions: PunaPhantom
I'm not sure what you want explained? GPS means the device knows where it is.

GPS = system that devices use to pull data from satellites in order to determine their position.

GPS is NOT used for YOU to communicate with the device though. For that you need something else such as cell service.
I already said that earlier. Are you just confirming my confirmation?

I guess you didn't read and understand my post. The bird doesn't call anyone. I do.
I already said that earlier. Are you just confirming my confirmation?
I dont know. You quoted someone with the above first post who said you can't find your tracker if it has no cell service. You seemed to imply you think that the tracker doesn't need cell service for you to find it.

I dont know. You quoted someone with the above first post who said you can't find your tracker if it has no cell service. You seemed to imply you think that the tracker doesn't need cell service for you to find it.
No. I said the tracker has the info but if I have no cell service, I can't call it. If I move to an area that has cell service, I can call it to get the info and then enter the coordinates into my Garmin handheld to go back to area and track it down.

No. I said the tracker has the info but if I have no cell service, I can't call it. If I move to an area that has cell service, I can call it to get the info and then enter the coordinates into my Garmin handheld to go back to area and track it down.
If you try and call a friend who is out of range of their carrier network, they won't get your call, even though YOU have service. Same concept should apply here, that's basically what the others are saying. It doesn't matter if you move to an area where you have signal if your tracker is still in an area without signal.

Reactions: Bermuda Sunset

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20