What would you do?

Reaction score
Here is my driveway view and the tree line.
Would you take her straight up over the trees then out?

Or is this just a bad place to fly?

24e901498c8e236015c7bb922e336e83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using PhantomPilots mobile app

It would be fine to fly there as long as you're flying above the trees and the trees never completely block the signal between the remote controller and Phantom.

Reactions: Smotz
U should be ok to fly up then out, but once those trees get their leaves back u will not get the same range. I have found that flying around big trees like the ones in the pic it is better to get your self to somewhere higher off the ground, like if u have a deck on your house, or even off your roof, if u have a flat roof..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

RTH might get dicey within that area. I'd manually fly my landings as it doesn't always come and land exactly where the RTH "Homepoint" began at. Maybe 30 feet off to the side, which could be a tree top in your photos. If it is in ATTI mode, or goes there on its own for some reason, winds above treeline may blow it over into another tree.

Trees can be very bad drone eaters at times. Never good for a RTH landing spot. Bad for kites too.

Oh. Forgot that I somehow managed to fly over a rise and mine got lost in a bunch of sapplings. Looking at the screen view of tree trunks, and the blue bread-crumb trail map, it was a nightmare to figure my way out of the maze. Going up was branches, I thought, and maybe not a good idea. I stayed level and followed the blue line back out rather than climb which worked. Never even knew the trees were over the rise. Nothing like getting your drone visibly lost, but still getting a signal.

Last edited:
Your fine to fly. I would suggest tho is using the RTH settings set at "hover" when it comes to your home point, that way you can guide it in when you need it to come back. Set your height around 70-80 metres to be on the safe side too

Neon Euc

Too many trees to hit and, when they're in leaf, you're set up perfectly to lose connection. So no, I wouldn't fly there.

I'd got straight up and out without worrying about it. That's not a terrible spot although as was already stated when they're full of leaves it's gonna be rough on the signal.

Your fine to fly. I would suggest tho is using the RTH settings set at "hover" when it comes to your home point, that way you can guide it in when you need it to come back. Set your height around 70-80 metres to be on the safe side too

Neon Euc
This may prove to be a very bad idea. In a lost signal situation the AC will hover where it is untill autolanding at critical battery (if signal isn't restored). It does not fly home.

Reactions: Numone
image.jpeg
Welcome to my world, surrounded by 100,000 hectacres of 30 mtr trees. Straight up, out and go for it. My controller had been modded for penetration, bring it back in RTH and ATTI mode the last 50 mtrs.

100,000 hectares of trees? Tch... is that all? Pathetic... LOL!
Thank god there is a lake in front of me, otherwise I'd get sick of it pretty quick. Still, I think I have the only quad for 35 klms and the few locals reckon it's pretty neat.

Thank god there is a lake in front of me, otherwise I'd get sick of it pretty quick. Still, I think I have the only quad for 35 klms and the few locals reckon it's pretty neat.
LOL! You need to get out and fly in another location... but with having to drive, what, 250km to get out of that area, I guess it's not that easy....

LOL! You need to get out and fly in another location... but with having to drive, what, 250km to get out of that area, I guess it's not that easy....
I head off to the beach about 50 Klm down the road and take it out over the cliffs and the ocean. Wife packs food and beer and we make a day out of it. As for the trees, there are a couple of open spots where you can fly out over farm land and get some reasonable distance without travelling more than a kilometre. Pretty special place and I don't have to bother with airports, weirdos, interference from electronic installations and angry officials. The local park ranger couldn't care less.

I head off to the beach about 50 Klm down the road and take it out over the cliffs and the ocean. Wife packs food and beer and we make a day out of it. As for the trees, there are a couple of open spots where you can fly out over farm land and get some reasonable distance without travelling more than a kilometre. Pretty special place and I don't have to bother with airports, weirdos, interference from electronic installations and angry officials. The local park ranger couldn't care less.
You're a lucky guy, especially not having to deal with the weirdos! Yep, Australia is a very special place on this planet.

Neon Euc

This may prove to be a very bad idea. In a lost signal situation the AC will hover where it is untill autolanding at critical battery (if signal isn't restored). It does not fly home.

Yeah, I agree - I really wouldn't do that as that'll be a great way to kiss goodbye to your AC...

You're a lucky guy, especially not having to deal with the weirdos! Yep, Australia is a very special place on this planet.
Yes indeed, I just flew a quick 7klm round trip, lost signal and crapped myself until I heard her coming back on RTH. Yep, I've travelled a lot and over here is 20 years behind everything else and that's just fine....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
src72