What is the range? People personal experiences.

Line of Sight range ... 500-2000 feet. FAA requires Line of Sight. For hobbyist, this can be considered a guideline. The issue is safety which applies to both hobbyist and commercial flights. Whether a hobbyist or a commercial pilot, we all love our drones and don't want the FAA to clamp down further on us. I suspect that the FAA will soon require manufacturers to sell their drones with firmware that reports their GPS position. Let's not encourage this to happen to soon. In that case, I suspect until you get your commercial license, your range and altitude will be limited seriously by the software's logging of the Home Point.
I see the opposite happening. After a few years, if there are few incidents, VLOS FAA guidelines will loosen. I don't see the manufacturers restricting range in the app, that will hinder sales. I'm guessing over half of the phantom pilots out there go beyond VLOS, because they can, regardless of the FAA "guidelines". That's why Lightbridge was created, superior range. Let's see who flies beyond VLOS in this poll?

Last edited:
I see the opposite happening. After a few years, if there are few incidents, LOS FAA guidelines will loosen. I don't see the manufacturers restricting range in the app, that will hinder sales. I'm guessing over half of the phantom pilots out there go beyond LOS, because they can, regardless of the FAA "guidelines". That's why Lightbridge was created, superior range. This would be a good poll to post, who flies beyond LOS?

Manufacturer's won't volunteer this capability. The FAA will require it because, while more FAA agents can't monitor violations, especially when the price point encourages more and more drone flights, technology will be able to track all violations in real time. DJI has already discussed this as a capability. My hope is that today's drone pilots (especially those who claim their are hobbyist), don't recklessly disregard the rules. If they do, this capability will be built in. The FAA can better regulate manufacturers that pilots. Hopefully your prediction of fewer incidents comes true.

That's 1.5 miles I'd be very happy with that. :)

I have flown 3600m naked without any loss of signal at all and could have gone much further but didn't see the need. The issue becomes battery life, wind velocity and direction. Be very careful when flying such long distances because you can easily reach that point of no return.

Reactions: Dazzauk
78647e02baff9d14a5cc09524a4ee1b4.jpg

8000 feet was "my" limit with a stock P4 and sitting on high ground while flying. As the distance was starting to bother me, I turned around and came back.

Normal distances in my suburban environment (houses, cell towers, trees, water, condos, etc) is a max of around 4000 feet but that's with the video and controller getting weak and dropping out.

My regular working distance tends to be 3000 feet and closer with no problems in the city.

AD
Are you aware that is against the law to fly beyond line of sight?

The OP asked what range we were getting with the P4 under normal conditions, not how far we can see our aircraft.

I can actually see my aircraft quite well while flying. Thank you for asking.

AD

Are you aware that is against the law to fly beyond line of sight?

Are you aware he did not request what a law was and besides you have no clue what country he is or will be flying in. Keep your drone
policing out without being requested.

Put deposit on p4. Will hopefully revive in next 2 weeks.

Wondered what are people getting range wise. ?
Stock?

I'm coming from a p3 standard with dbs and was getting 6500 feet max.

Wondering if I'll get even better stock with phantom 4?

I'm in uk so I think it's C.E. IS TJAT RIGHT LOL?

I have been 10,000ft away from me before, but that was on top of a hill with almost 0 interference!

Had to return because battery was low or I could have continued going

I have flown 3600m naked without any loss of signal at all and could have gone much further but didn't see the need. The issue becomes battery life, wind velocity and direction. Be very careful when flying such long distances because you can easily reach that point of no return.
I didn't realize that nudity affected range, but more power to you, if it does! If you are having range issues, try flying naked! :p

Last edited:
Please note, the OP is in the United Kingdom, under CE transmitter power, so anyone's range posting in the U.S., using FCC transmitter power, is of no comparison for him, naked or not! ;)

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1