What every newbie needs to know

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just ordered my P4 through Costco from the Black Friday sale.

Been going through the different subjects in the forum and have not been able to find any mention of posts that are good for newbies. I'm interested in things like etiquette, must haves, good add-on apps to get, HOWTO's, etc.

Did I just miss it or could someone please send me a link?

Sincerely,
Steve

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: dirkclod
Tip 1: If you buy the prop guards, don't screw the screws in without the guards on. They are too long and will damage the motors. I just sent my Phantom 3 Advanced back for repair because I did this. The manual did not contain a parts list, so I did not realize that the screws the previous owner had partially screwed in where the wrong ones.

Tip 1: If you buy the prop guards, don't screw the screws in without the guards on. They are too long and will damage the motors. I just sent my Phantom 3 Advanced back for repair because I did this. The manual did not contain a parts list, so I did not realize that the screws the previous owner had partially screwed in where the wrong ones.

OP has the P4. No screws under the arms like the P3 model - probably to avoid the shell cracking of the P3 series. They just slide in on the P4 where the LED reflectors come off. Then some flap on them that folds over and snaps onto the guard.

In retrospect on the P4 model guards, I wish I had gone to the 3rd party ones that are clear of the front avoidance sensors and do not disable that feature.

Hi all,

Been going through the different subjects in the forum and have not been able to find any mention of posts that are good for newbies. I'm interested in things like etiquette, must haves, good add-on apps to get, HOWTO's, etc.

Sincerely,
Steve

There are many posts on this topic and newbies will keep on postings such threads as they are newbies (ignorant).

Let me give you few tips:

1. Read manuals and watch videos on how to fly. Learn to activate RTH and deactivate. You will need it if you lose site of your AC
2. Buy spares like props, batteries
3. But prop balancer to balance the props eventually for regular flying
5. Install DJI Go app on your tablet
6. Charge batteries and RC
7. You may have to link RC to AC once and register your AC
8. Calibrate IMU on flat and cold condition. If AC is on for few minutes, it's get warm and you will need to keep it in fridge for 15 minutes :)
9. Calibrate RC sticks
10. Go to open field away from buildings and trees and calibrate your compass of AC mount props carefully, blacks into black and white into white and tighten them with one finger just enough.
11. Don't use auto take off.
12. Ensure that Gimbal is free of any obstructions like grass. Also ensure that you had removed the Gimbal transportation supports, one plastic and other styrofoam
13. Get ready to take off. Use the throttle stick to take it up to 10' or more quickly. Make sure your stick movements are strictly straight up. Moving at an angle will flip the AC and damage props. Once you are up, leave the sticks and let it hover on its own.
14. Now is the time to experiment behavior of all the sticks one by one.
15. Practice to fly y making a figure of 8 in air.
16. Take it up to 200'. Have fun.
17. Try to land when you hear battery warning.
18. For landing, get it down slowly at the clean flat area and how're at height of about 1 feet and then slowly get it down to ground and hold the stick down for 3 seconds, all motors will stop.
19. You are done with the first exercise.
20. Replace the battery with another full charged and fly again if you feel so.

Best wishes

Dont fly the thing like its a race drone, fly it steady and with slow movements, don't put to much pressure on the sticks, it's a camera bird. And if you want to do way points get litchi.

And if you get in trouble let go of the sticks and regain yourself and if need be press the return to home button, make sure it's set to a height that's above tree level.

Sent from my XT1526 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Welcome to the forum Steve .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Hi all,

Sincerely,
Steve

Steve,

It's a very good group here with the collective wisdom that only real experience can bring and they've got it in spades here.

Read everything you can and keep current on the topics for new developments. Pretty soon you may even find yourself offering some advice in the future for another new flyer.

Be safe, take your time and like another post prior to mine stated, your P4 is a camera bird, not an Indy Drone Racing League flyer. Enjoy it and fly safe!

AD (I tend to prefer late afternoon and early evening with the sun going down at my back)

Welcome to Phantom Pilots! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav