The P4P Camera – An attempt to establish The Facts

The sensor records raw files of 5464 x 3640 which is nearer to 19.9mp

Just going by what's on the data sheet. Why a few lines are added or lost is unclear to me but possibly something the SoC is doing to the image.

I feel the quality is nothing short of phenomenal with good lightning conditions. Faaar ahead of the P4 camera, cannot be compared. But in low light it struggles a lot. Not suprising really. But could it be improved somehow in the future with a FW update? I think not..

Here's to the next Phantom not before spring 2018!

My P4P+ is now back at DJI for "repair". They would not enter a discussion regarding the sensor/profile issue and just kept side-stepping and asking for it's return.

I know they will not achieve anything with regard to this, but hopefully having my drone will at least open the discussion.

"Was it really worth sending back then?" I hear you ask.

Well my lens is off-centre/misaligned and the left side of the image is of a lesser quality than the right. So ignoring the other BS, it is my hope that they can at least fix that. (as they did with the two Mavics we sent back recently. Their lens alignment was horrendously bad and their images unusable)

Last edited:
My P4P+ is now back at DJI for "repair". They would not enter a discussion regarding the sensor/profile issue and just kept side-stepping and asking for it's return.

I know they will not achieve anything with regard to this, but hopefully having my drone will at least open the discussion.

"What it really worth sending back then?" I hear you ask.

Well my lens is off-centre/misaligned and the left side of the image is of a lesser quality than the right. So ignoring the other BS, it is my hope that they can at least fix that. (as they did with the two Mavics we sent back recently. Their lens alignment was horrendously bad and their images unusable)
I think that was justified.

What about video with the P4P, is it better than the P4......

I'm wondering, how the H264 & H265 codec variations compare in performance?
I've found with the P4 that the limitations of the H264 codec far outweigh any lens / sensors performance issues for normal broadcast video needs.

Be good to hear from some serious video users as well as stills photographers complaining about lack of a few pixels!!

I have a P4P still use the h264 because it works well with my Mac. I have used h265 but I can't tell the difference. Geoff the video on this in 4k is amazing, admittedly I shoot more photos than I do video and I just can't believe how nice the video looks. As for the pixels heck I don't know, but what I do know is I like the pictures. I shoot raw and jpeg and really don't edit the raw unless I see something that I want artistically from the file otherwise jpegs work just fine for sharing online.

Reactions: Geoff G
I think you're probably better sticking with h264. Having read up on h265 it seems to be more efficient rather than higher quality.
I don't mean to give the impression that the video quality is bad with the P4 - far from it, just that its limitation for me is imposed by the codec rather than the lens / sensor.
Good to hear that you're pleased with the quality. I think if they don't sort out the firmware for the P4 soon I will get a P4P for that reason alone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.