Tips For Improving Your Films

Cor Brink said:
Certainly very interesting reading thus far.

I would like to ask what editing software should you use for:
- clipping pieces of the movie
- extract photo grabs
- little bit of tweaking
- putting your production together

Obviously I don't want to go draw money with a balaclava and a baseball bat to buy this, i.e. it doesn't have to be professional software, only something that does the job. Unless of course you don't really have a choice.

Start free by using Youtube movie editor.
If your on a PC try Moviemaker which I think is still free from Microsoft.
If your on a Mac try iMovie or Final Cut Pro X.
If you have an iPad try iMovie - excellent simple to use and very cheap.

Shrimpfarmer said:
Cor Brink said:
Certainly very interesting reading thus far.

I would like to ask what editing software should you use for:
- clipping pieces of the movie
- extract photo grabs
- little bit of tweaking
- putting your production together

Obviously I don't want to go draw money with a balaclava and a baseball bat to buy this, i.e. it doesn't have to be professional software, only something that does the job. Unless of course you don't really have a choice.

Start free by using Youtube movie editor.
If your on a PC try Moviemaker which I think is still free from Microsoft.
If your on a Mac try iMovie or Final Cut Pro X.
If you have an iPad try iMovie - excellent simple to use and very cheap.

Thanks!

Added the following to main article.

The Power Of Reverse

This video tip demonstrates how Quads experience turbulence when descending. Things are much smoother in the climb. A poster on this forum (apologies but I can't find who) mentioned that professional pilots often film a shot in the climb for smoothness and just reverse the clip if they need a descent. You can also fake a really smooth landing by filming the takeoff and reversing it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1geozI4ZNhA[/youtube]

Thanks for the great tips! I've always been drawn to the technical aspects of this hobby, being a tinkerer. You've inspired to do more on the artistry side of the hobby too. :)

dkr77573 said:
Thanks for the great tips! I've always been drawn to the technical aspects of this hobby, being a tinkerer. You've inspired to do more on the artistry side of the hobby too. :)

That makes my day, thanks for the feedback :D

jdenkevitz said:
Or you could you know, get permission from or pay the people who created the music in the first place.
The above doesnt make it 'legal'.
Youtube requires you to affirm that you have a license/permission from the copyright author/holder when posting.
The fact they dont catch you doesnt mean its legal.

You seem to infer that I am suggesting ripping off people for their music. I am not and I do not.

Youtube have a sophisticated system for automatically identifying copyright. As soon as your film is published Youtube email you stating whether the copyright owner has granted permission for you to use the track or otherwise. If they haven't then Youtube mute the music automatically. If you continue to transgress you can have your account closed. I have never suffered a 'strike' against my account.

I acknowledge the copyright ownership on all of my films.

The system is a win win. We get to use their track for our videos without payment. They get to promote their music and also receive advertising revenue if your video happens to be popular.

You do know about the Youtube system don't you ?

Edit

Shortly after my last comment jdenkivitz put me right on this and it turned out I was the one who didn't understand the Youtube system well enough ! As a result I took down most of my comments regarding the use of Youtube video and copyright. I left some of the text in place so members can at least see what it was about.

It's true. I've posted vids where once the music creator or owner affirms that they don't mind, they can provide a link to iTunes or somewhere to buy their track. It appears right on the video.

Hi,
I have heard people talk about post stabilisation to help with judder footage. Does it work and how do i do it. Any tips would be appreciated. I am currently using iMovie and GoPro studio for editing and not sure if they can do it.
Thanks

jdenkevitz said:
You are incorrect with your assumptions.

As 'advanced' as Youtube's Reference Library is, it is definitely not all encompassing of all (or even a majority of) protected works. It covers many of the bigger labels. But dont fool yourself into thinking that its universal or that a lack of response means you have permission.

Theres simply no way for youtube to scan all incoming material for all copyright. This is because there is no ubiquitous means of doing such. Youtbe would have to be the global means of acquiring Copyright. They are able to scan material that matches what they have in their library supplied by major labels, but this is far from complete.

Dont equate them having the capacity to scan versions of works with an all encompassing method for detecting ALL copyrightten material. Many independent releases and smaller labels will not be picked up by those methods (incorporated into Youtube's Reference Library).

Any time you fix original material that meets the requirements (as defined by the region you are in) for copyrightable material in a tangible medium, you have a copyright in that work. Theres no way to know just by the fixation itself that it is an original selection and arrangement of copyrightable material. In many countries (the USA included), you neednt register a work with the copyright office to have a copyright. In any regards, registration does NOT mean youtube will detect it.

Make no bones about it, the fact that they dont remove/warn/block the content you post is in no way an implicit permission to use someone else's work. Just read Youtubes user agreement. They are not a clearing service for licensing rights.

Not getting caught doesnt mean permission/legitimate use.

I did read all of it last night and you are quite right in what you say. My understanding was wrong. As a result I will take down those tips from my post as I would hate to think I got someone else in any trouble.

Shrimpy.

lloyd77 said:
Hi,
I have heard people talk about post stabilisation to help with judder footage. Does it work and how do i do it. Any tips would be appreciated. I am currently using iMovie and GoPro studio for editing and not sure if they can do it.
Thanks

Hi

I am currently unfamiliar with Gopro studio so I can't help there. Not sure iMovie has stabilisation or not as I use Final Cut Pro X which does. In FCPX you simply tick a box in the clip info window and it does the rest. You can then use some sliders to alter the effect as you wish.

Youtube will offer to stabilise your video if you upload a film. It can work extremely well but sometimes it makes things look odd. At the end of the day its never the best option. Its always best to stabilise at the time of filming, hence everyone wanting a gimble. However if you don't have one then software is your only option.

If you have a gopro that can shoot 2.7k, one method is use that resolution and then use post stabilization. Post stabilization usually relies on cropping the edges of the image, but if you shoot 2.7k you still end up with a sharp 1080 end product.

jdenkevitz said:
If you have a gopro that can shoot 2.7k, one method is use that resolution and then use post stabilization. Post stabilization usually relies on cropping the edges of the image, but if you shoot 2.7k you still end up with a sharp 1080 end product.

As I am currently switching to a Phantom 2 this is a particularly useful tip. What are you using to edit the 2.7k?

Shrimpfarmer said:
jdenkevitz said:

As I am currently switching to a Phantom 2 this is a particularly useful tip. What are you using to edit the 2.7k?

Sony Vegas pro 12

If you are going to a phantom 2, it maybe worthwhile to get the zenmuse. Ive been pleased with mine, and havent felt the need to use post stabilization yet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20