What do you guys charge for aerial media?

The COA has nothing to do with/without a Pilot's License. The COA adds additional allowances/restrictions (depends on how you look at it) beyond what the Section 333Exemption has.

For instance you get a "blanket" COA allowing flights up to 400'AGL (it was initially only 200'AGL) as well as other restrictions around airports, restricted airspace, and other densely populated areas. If you "need" to fly outside of those restrictions you would need to request a special COA to cover the flight/flights you need to fly outside of your blanket COA (less than 5 mile of airport etc). You apply for the special COA >>>>> Here <<<<<

Section 13 of your Section 333 Exemption will clearly define that you need a MIN of a Sport Pilot Certification and a state issued drivers license to be Pilot in Command. At this time it's still called Pilot In Command but will possibly be considered merely and "Operator in Command" when a UAS Certification is created and implemented.

The COA has nothing to do with/without a Pilot's License. The COA adds additional allowances/restrictions (depends on how you look at it) beyond what the Section 333Exemption has.

For instance you get a "blanket" COA allowing flights up to 400'AGL (it was initially only 200'AGL) as well as other restrictions around airports, restricted airspace, and other densely populated areas. If you "need" to fly outside of those restrictions you would need to request a special COA to cover the flight/flights you need to fly outside of your blanket COA (less than 5 mile of airport etc). You apply for the special COA >>>>> Here <<<<<

Section 13 of your Section 333 Exemption will clearly define that you need a MIN of a Sport Pilot Certification and a state issued drivers license to be Pilot in Command. At this time it's still called Pilot In Command but will possibly be considered merely and "Operator in Command" when a UAS Certification is created and implemented.
At the end of the day, I personally never claimed to have some knowledge that people are acting like I am saying the way it is. I don't roll like that. If I'm unsure of something I go on a fact finding mission until I find it. I have a very selective desire to know things and a selective memory so sometimes that works against me.

What was driving me crazy were people that were saying you need "a pilot's license" as I am not one for ambiguity and that is an ambiguous term.

So when someone tells me, and I've read a MILLION different thing and the FAA is not completely clear to the uninitiated. For example, if you know pilot terminology and protocol (of which I am just learning) what might seem SO OBVIOUS to some of you, is not to others.

The type of pilot's license you need to be the PIC if you have a 333 is a Sport Pilot's license it seems so everyone that goes up in arms when I or someone else asks what type of pilot's license, I think it's rude to get upset at that question. Especially when there is someone running around here saying that you need a private pilot's license which is clearly not the case. A Sports License and a Recreational License are both lesser license than a Private Pilot's license so to say you need a Private Pilot's license is just wrong information. That's all I was saying.

As for whoever it is, that is being very helpful, saying that you copy and pasted it, thank you. I might have missed it, forgot about it, knew less about it when I read it so it made less sense, but I wasn't just disregarding it. I'm not an a-hole. I appreciate anyone that is trying to help figure this stuff out.

In all honesty, it seems goofy to have to have any sort of pilot's license to fly commercially within the hobby guidelines and I am sure that is what is about to change. If you want to break that barrier than you need the appropriate license but anything under 400' and LOS et al should be that you have to get a 333 in order to make your bird a commercial one. In fact, I'll take it a step farther and say they need to make an addendum to the Modernization Act and just make it legal to make money if you are within in the parameters of the FAA guidelines for hobby flying.

@xgaul
AS FOR PRICE, I have said it many times and the OP or anyone else hasn't given me an answer. The OP is beyond vague. "I want to make money at this as a side gig, how much should I charge" is just too vague. I would love to give you an answer but what do you plan to do?

How much experience do you have?

Do you have a reel you can show me?

Do you have a ground camera, or are you planning on just tagging on to other people's gigs, like a wedding?

Every person, depending on what they are using (bird wise) and their level of expertise and knowledge of not just how to record but to provide the best looking deliverable.

The P4 is not a broadcast quality tool. If you want to do weddings or something, you can probably get away with it, but someone shooting with a better camera is rightfully going to be able to charge more so why you won't be going to broadcast, you will still be delivering what is esentially a crappy h264 deliverable with all kinds of artifacts.

If you are doing real estate, you can get away with it a little more.

Since we are being completely vague. I wouldn't personally do anything that is a half day of production and a half day of post production for under $2000 and it goes up from there.

If I am adding titles and effects, (depending on the effect), I can add anywhere from $500 for some basic titling to $5000 for a submarine to pop up in the background of the lake and a periscope saying "I love you". I am just making up silly stuff here but you get the point.

If you're a complete novice and you are looking for a more budgeted type of gig (someone without a lot of money to spend but you can use that opportunity to undercut the more expensive photographers and videographers) you can charge nothing to $50-$100 an hour. There is inherent value in building up a clientele and a reel.

This is a business of referrals so make sure you deliver exactly what the client wants and give them something extra and never argue, even if you are right,

I wish I could give you a better answer but I need a better question. I am happy, nay thrilled to help, but the OP question is just too vague.

For the record, I don't think the 333 discussion is completely off topic by the way.

Good luck. Hope you make tons of money.

We charge $650 for the first flight. Included is the SFOC, proof of insurance (2 million) 100 photos. 20 of them post processed.
$450, for the same thing when flying under an exemption.
3d model of a building or structure $1200. for a grouping its $3900. Survey of 1 km2 and given contour lines. $1500. and for ortho tiles $450 - $4000 depending on the scale of the survey

Last edited:
Reactions: grottoli
In all honesty, it seems goofy to have to have any sort of pilot's license to fly commercially within the hobby guidelines and I am sure that is what is about to change. If you want to break that barrier than you need the appropriate license but anything under 400' and LOS et al should be that you have to get a 333 in order to make your bird a commercial one. In fact, I'll take it a step farther and say they need to make an addendum to the Modernization Act and just make it legal to make money if you are within in the parameters of the FAA guidelines for hobby flying.

There in is the problem... you can not "make money" as a hobby/recreational flyer. The moment your flight pertains to any sort of business (even if you don't make $$ from it at all) it's not a hobby/recreational flight. Even flying for Search & Rescue is not hobby flight even though we are donating our time, resources, and in some cases risking our own lives to help find a lost person. If your flight is anything but hobby/recreational it's commercial in the eyes of the FAA.

Don't sell yourself short on prices. You will never be able to get them up. We don't bother doing a shoot for less than $200. Remember it's your time your equipment, expertise and insurance. Charging $25 and hour you are just wasting your time unless you have a minimum base fee.

I just did a few shoots yesterday for real estate which in my opinion is usually a waste of time because they want it so cheap. It's a fun small supplement but we also so a lot of point cloud 3D mapping for industrial companies and construction sites. That's where the money is at.
What do you charge construction companies for mapping?

Dont forget when your doing your pricing, your SFOC (Canada). If you are not operating under a blanket SFOC, then also consider the time it takes to create an SFOC doc.
There is a company in Alberta, and all they do is create SFOC's for other companies. They charge $900 a pop.

I charge $250 for using our blanket alone. Before we got to know Transport Canada, it was a process that took up to a month most of the time, for each Doc.
Now we are operating under the blanket, but still charge the $250 fee. We create the Doc in the event TC wants to see it or something goes wrong during the operation. But we dont have to submit it.

Thanks. I am up in Canada so not sure what insurance options are available. I checked with my auto insurance provider and they don't offer it and my home insurance provider are looking in to it.
Here is a Transport Canada document about UAV rules in Canada that could be useful to you.

Attachments

• UAV-ExemptionRulesCa.pdf
    704.1 KB · Views: 138
Here is a Transport Canada document about UAV rules in Canada that could be useful to you.

Thank you very much. I don't want to get an exemption, they are too limiting in where you can operate. I will go the SFOC route so my operating options are not constricted.

I use State Farm for insurance. Both liability and a rider to replace it if I crash, fly away, etc.

Unedited video starts at $350 (I also include 12 photos in this package).

I will do BASIC video editing starting at $500.
For videos of what length? 5 minutes?

I'm going to start a photo/video drone business with my P-3. I used to own a video production company. I will tailor my rates based on that experience, i.e. the estimate for a client will be based on about $50 per hour on my end, including editing, etc.

What do you charge construction companies for mapping?
Depends if we are just taking the images and handing them the card or building the 3d models our selves but anywhere from $500-$1000 and beyond. You must remember that legally its a 3 person job so anything less is a waste of time really. This is stuff that typically needs to be done on a regular basis vs waiting for a house listing. Vancouvers housing market is so hot that everything is sold before it even gets listed most of the time. We still do the odd real estate shoot usually for ridiculously expensive properties ($5,000,000 +) that has a video production team working on it.

Keep in mind the 2kg exemption doesnt apply unless you are on a farm. Anything within i Believe 5Nm of anything more developed than a farm requires a SFOC for commercial work.

So understand that essentially any commercial work, Phantom or not will almost always require a SFOC

Regarding the 333 exemption required for for commercial drone business in the US, you can learn a lot in a forum setup specifically about 333 exemptions at the333.org which will soon become the107.org. Lots of good info with the latest status from the FAA.

is mapping possible with the p4?

as far as what i am offering its just aerial shots for construction companies, private events, weddings and such.

is mapping possible with the p4?

as far as what i am offering its just aerial shots for construction companies, private events, weddings and such.

Check out Drone Deploy. Or some are using AgiSoft to create 3d renders.

Hey Guys,

Not sure if this will help but I have broken down pricing into three areas based on the complexity of operations. Multimedia (simple imaging), Inspections (little more complex may require some interpretation/specialized equipment), Assessments (heavily involved requiring complex workflow, specialized equipment and interpretation).

http://reconaerialmedia.com/drone-services-pricing/

The only other thing I have to add is try NOT to undercharge, you, your work and your time are valuable.

Best!
Brian

Reactions: Ghost Rider
Check out Drone Deploy. Or some are using AgiSoft to create 3d renders.
Mapping possible for P4 using Drone Deploy, I confirmed this with them last week but you have to have iOS but no doubt Android will follow. Pix4d looks pretty good but at $350 per month or 1000's to buy it might not be viable, depends where you are in your business cycle and exactly what you want to do.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT