Is FlyGuys a SCAM? Are you a Fly Guy?

Reaction score
Seems there's a "new kid on the block" for the drone pilot referral directories. Seems like there's about a half dozen of them out there. I've heard from other pilots, all these services, the supply of pilots is huge and the number of jobs posted per week is very small in most areas, even on the most prominent directories/referral services.

So I got this email today from FlyGuys, it was highly unprofessional, it started out without my real first name:

Hello #[Contacts.First Name}

The image in the signature was broken, etc. And the email makes claims like "The number of mission inquires, as expected, is going up logarithmically and as a result of this rapidly expanding sales pipeline, booked missions are starting to happen multiple times per day." Logarithmically? What, from 2 jobs a week to 4?

The thing about this FlyGuys service is unlike the other referral services, they want either $99 a month or $199 a month from you. If the job posting to pilot ratio for these services is really low, I would expect the chance you will be paying your monthly fee and getting NO JOBS is quite high. Do you get your fee refunded? No. So these Fly Guys want $1,200 to $2,400 a year where the other service want $0 unless you actually get and bill a job. This really smells like a big SCAM to me!

The email goes on further to say "We are about to launch a major weapon next week. A mostly automated function to register each pilot with near 100 directories. We were already doing google, bing, now yahoo, yellow pages, +90 more... this will help our pilots' url prominence in all searches."

"Major weapon?" My friend who works in the Internet Market business says basically they just signed up for a business directory submission service, there's a dozen of them, for probably a couple hundred bucks a month, and so they are really operating from a revenue standpoint more as an Internet marketing service, collecting thousands in fees and paying hundreds to use an automated directory submission service while most likely providing a small trickle of jobs to select pilots or for pilots to all fight over.

Has anyone actually signed up for this service? How long have you been with them? What kind of jobs did you get? What area of the country are you in? Which affiliate are you?

I'm really afraid this is a scam that many pilots may fall for. There are free ways to get your business listed in directories and you risk paying out lots of money with no jobs referred to you.

Last edited:
Hello... I'm an affiliate pilot with flyguys and I would like to comment on this thread. I'm a new kid on the block myself a new pilot. I'm excited about the possibilities of the Drone Biz. I use to be a Biz owner of 15 years in turfgrass management. Going through a divorce and don't want to go back to 9 to 5 slavery. Work studied really hard for my part 107 license wasn't given to me. I must say personally I've noticed that in the Drone industry nepotism is really ******* ridiculous. It's all hush hush secret secret on getting work. No I don't think Flyguys is a scam I've signed up with them since the beginning of 2018 . They billed me one time for initial sign up fee. Tim Handley is one of the owners and told me straight up. We are in Beta mode right now it will take some time. Has not charged me anymore until he can assign me jobs. I've experienced scam marketing in my previous Buisness life. Yes there are scammers out there those guys are heartless. They want your money each and every month to advertise with them. Tim is a Good Dude I can tell he actually cares and has a heart. Now just using common sense and intuition if you pay for a service for any extended amount of time with no results. It's a no brainer at that point in the game.

Oh yeah!! One more thing fellow pilots one reason I found so much success with my Lawn Herbicide and Fertilization Biz. I helped others getting into the Biz. I didn't squeeze my nutz like a little crybaby *****. The problem I'm noticing with this industry is it lacks a sense of fellowship. Lyft others and you will get the same. Pride goes before a fall and that is a weakness to me.

Hello... I'm an affiliate pilot with flyguys and I would like to comment on this thread. I'm a new kid on the block myself a new pilot. I'm excited about the possibilities of the Drone Biz. I use to be a Biz owner of 15 years in turfgrass management. Going through a divorce and don't want to go back to 9 to 5 slavery. Work studied really hard for my part 107 license wasn't given to me. I must say personally I've noticed that in the Drone industry nepotism is really ******* ridiculous. It's all hush hush secret secret on getting work. No I don't think Flyguys is a scam I've signed up with them since the beginning of 2018 . They billed me one time for initial sign up fee. Tim Handley is one of the owners and told me straight up. We are in Beta mode right now it will take some time. Has not charged me anymore until he can assign me jobs. I've experienced scam marketing in my previous Buisness life. Yes there are scammers out there those guys are heartless. They want your money each and every month to advertise with them. Tim is a Good Dude I can tell he actually cares and has a heart. Now just using common sense and intuition if you pay for a service for any extended amount of time with no results. It's a no brainer at that point in the game.

So you've paid for a lead to a job, yet not recieved one.

That is the definition of a scam.

By golly, you CAN fool some of the people all of the time.

If you want to start a business, then go start one. If you want to work for someone else, make sure that they pay you, and not the other way around.

I'm embarrased to say I gave these guys a try. They claim the fee is for all these support tasks but these things aren't worth anything if you never get a decent job. Three months in, didn't get a single job. I can't say I'm surprised seeing that I've been on Droners.io for a year. Droners.io has been around way longer than FlyGuys and I've been getting notification on jobs in most major cities in California. The number of jobs is low, even for major cities, even on Droners which has the most exposure. And when the jobs do come up, it's a feeding frenzy so you now you've got a bunch of guys low balling, desperate to get a job, making the prices ridiculously low. I've been desparate to get a job probably like most other pilots on Droners and so that's why I tried FlyGuys "pay for play" just to see if they had some secret channel to bring in jobs better than Droners. Not. Waste of money. I feel sorry for others than keep paying with their fingers crossed. Maybe you will eventually get a job, maybe not but if you weren't the first pilot that signed up in your city, based on the trickle of jobs I've seen on Droners, I can pretty much guarantee you will get "jack" through Fly Guys. Anyone paying for anything before even getting one job is a sucker. Including myself but I decided to roll the dice.

Looks like enough of the FlyGuys pilots are getting tired of paying them a monthly fee for little to no jobs. I wonder how many paid a year's worth of fees to help pay for FlyGuys' online advertising and DroneDeploy/Pix4D business subscription, and didn't make their money back? Is their a no-job refund policy? This just in from the FlyGuys Pilot Newsletter...

2018 Pilot Beta Programs
Based on pilot feedback, drone business support tools are still of high interest, yet paid programs are not useful before a certain mission traction is reached. So the early 2018 FlyGuys pilot programs, Standard and Plus, will be closing on December 31, 2018

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20