water damage!

My wife's phone went through a load of wash, powered on. We put it in rice for a week, 4 days wasn't long enough, battery and the phone survived. :D

Rod

Yeah i got that, but the other guy is insinuating that if i use someone's battery to test my quad it could damage the battery....i was asking about that.
No, he was insinuating that you might crash it and ruin the borrowed battery too. He was good-heartedly making fun of you for crashing your drone.

So, I'm I the other guy?
I have been told I mess with people, sorry, but I did have many thoughts
The joke,
You would use his battery for another water flight. :eek:

What you picked up in my twisted humor.
Could your Phantom damage a battery, I don't know, it is always possible, I doubt it.

Just take some time on drying the Phantom out.

I just reread your first post, I thought your wife convinced you to take a low flight.
Now I understand why your so wound up. :eek:

She needs to read and or follow this thread ;)

Rod
Yeah I felt like a complete idiot for being persuaded to fly in a manner I know is wrong (completely my fault lol)...Iv been flying DJI quads for several years and have never flown any of my quads into anything. Yeah it would be funny if someone came out with their battery and I said "Ok lets see if I can get this water shot this time"...LMAO

Reactions: RodPad
ok funny story.

Me and my roommate went half on the new DJI Phantom 4. It was cyber Monday so it was on sale for $999, we couldn't resist. We never flew a drone before. I have to admit the Phantom 4 pretty much flies itself. GREAT for beginners. Anyways, i went away for the weekend. While i was gone on a weekend trip, he said he swapped the white Phantom 4 we bought for the limited edition black one. Said there was no up-charge and he even bought an extra battery. I could care less what color it was so i was ok with it. Well he recently went on a road trip to California and took the drone to get some cross country footage. While he was gone i was restocking the toilet paper under his sink (yes random) and seen the white drone we had purchased there, just laying in the back corner. Obviously, i was confused. So when he got backed i asked about it. Long story short, he flew the drone into a lake, got home and put it in a huge trash bag full of rice (pounds and pounds of rice) and went and bought another one before i could see it missing. I laughed SO hard when he told me, I still can't believe it.

So now that you know my story, we now have 2 Phantom 4's. One works fine, the other has water damage. He said it was only in there 15-20 seconds by the time he got it out and put it completely submerged in rice immediately after. This was weeks ago and we still have yet to fire it up. Is there anything I should be doing or looking for before I give it a go? At the very least, i hope someone got a laugh out of this too. Any feedback will help. Thanks!

Definitely got a laugh!!!

Two weeks? I think it's good for a test. DJI recommends the batteries be replaced... I have no basis to argue with that. Water may begin to break down the chemicals in the battery.

I know some will recommend a professional cleaning, and that is probably the best idea, but a test to make sure it's worth it, in a safe environment, may be worthwhile before investing.

Curious what you do!

Jeff

Been my experience as well. The water always wrecks the battery but the quad itself will dry out and be fine. I've dunked one of mine as well flying down a creek bed for a picture of a small waterfall. Caught a **** vine, flipped, dunked. Flew the next day and many many days afterwards without a hitch, battery #4 was DOA though.

Reactions: slapnasty

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94