water damage!

Reaction score
Searched around and found a few things on how to dry it out but Iv done that and still looking for advice!

Ok...I got over confident and convinced by my wife to fly low and through an area with a lot of obstacles and yeah I crashed and it hit the water (fully submerged) for about 5-6 secs. I got it home and used an air compressor to blow out all the water. When I plug the batter in (with battery power OFF) the drone will start beeping fast and all color lights flash, gimbal sets up correctly then starts going crazy and looking all over the place. The LED rear lights go full red and the beeping changes.

Searched around and found a few things on how to dry it out but Iv done that and still looking for advice!

Ok...I got over confident and convinced by my wife to fly low and through an area with a lot of obstacles and yeah I crashed and it hit the water (fully submerged) for about 5-6 secs. I got it home and used an air compressor to blow out all the water. When I plug the batter in (with battery power OFF) the drone will start beeping fast and all color lights flash, gimbal sets up correctly then starts going crazy and looking all over the place. The LED rear lights go full red and the beeping changes.
You should have waited for it to dry. Was it saltwater?

It was fresh water. Yeah Im going to take the top cover off today and blow it out much better and let it sit for a few days.

the battery seemed ok due to me turning it on (out of quad) and it coming on BUT when I try to charge it it will blink the lights like it is charging then turn off for about 8 seconds then again the charging lights will come on

Don't use the battery, don't try to charge it, ever.

Rod

yeah I only plugged it in for a minute, Ill be throwing it away for sure now. I guess at this point I need to find someone that lives near by that could possibly let me try a known good battery.

yeah I only plugged it in for a minute, Ill be throwing it away for sure now. I guess at this point I need to find someone that lives near by that could possibly let me try a known good battery.
You think somebody is going to loan you a battery. :D
Don't tell them why. ;)

Rod

So if the quad is dry and nothing on the inside is burnt or damaged, how would it mess up a battery?

It's not the quad messing up the battery... it's the water inside the battery that's messing up the battery. They're full of electronics and chemicals and magic stuff that doesn't like water.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: DARLAK
Yeah i got that, but the other guy is insinuating that if i use someone's battery to test my quad it could damage the battery....i was asking about that.

So in all reality I shouldnt even waste my time buying a new battery...just buy a whole new setup and sell this one for parts!

If you wanna see what happens when you short a Li-Po, Google "Li-Po battery short"

They explode, release clouds of lethal, corrosive smoke and burst into flames. How lovely.

Yeah i got that, but the other guy is insinuating that if i use someone's battery to test my quad it could damage the battery....i was asking about that.
So, I'm I the other guy?
I have been told I mess with people, sorry, but I did have many thoughts
The joke,
You would use his battery for another water flight. :eek:

What you picked up in my twisted humor.
Could your Phantom damage a battery, I don't know, it is always possible, I doubt it.

Just take some time on drying the Phantom out.

I just reread your first post, I thought your wife convinced you to take a low flight.
Now I understand why your so wound up. :eek:

She needs to read and or follow this thread ;)

Rod

I would recommend fully dismantling the phantom and using trchnical grade alcohol with a toothbrush to scrub all the boards and components. This method cleans out any impurities that may cause corrosion to start once voltage is passed through the components. Its also a good way to get to know your drone inside and out. Goodluck to you my friend and hope it still flies!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

My iphone once took a dunk.

I read somewhere to put it in a container with rice for at least a week.

Avoid any temptation to turn it on. That's what buggered my iphone. If I'd not kept trying to power it up, and put it in the container of rice and left it, it may have been ok.

Hmm, You'd need a big container & a lot of rice for a P3S though.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1