Was trying for 3 miles this evening

How do you know he was put of vlos? Maybe he has extraordinary vision.

Seriously, there are much worse things. Some people make it sound like they never broke a rule in their life. Stop being hypocritical.

Sorry but it's people like you who are ruining it for the rest of us. There are reasons you need to keep it visual and fly within the rules

actions such as yours keep the calls for banning of drones coming thanks!!

So you fly yours too about 1000 feet then, right?

And, you really don't have to worry about our toys getting banned, they are here to stay, they are the way of the future

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

And, you really don't have to worry about our toys getting banned, they are here to stay, they are the way of the future

Obviously he does of he's criticizing.

I wonder, what if you put a bright strobe light on which can be seen from a mile or 2 away. Is that considered visual sight?

The hobby is already ruined, for you at least, if you insist on limiting yourself to antiquated rules written from decades past. There was a time in the not-so-distant past when VLOS rules not only made sense but were not even a necessity since the only feedback from your aircraft was from your eyes. The rules need to be modified to correlate with the current state of technology.

Sorry but it's people like you who are ruining it for the rest of us. There are reasons you need to keep it visual and fly within the rules

I was gonna push my P3A out to 3 miles this evening but was flying to slow I guess because of weak signal strength and losing video occasionally. Got the RTH signal at 55% battery remaining since I was 2.6 miles out. My ? Is could I have pushed on at full speed to the 3 mile mark instead of hovering several times on the way out to regain video and signal strength or was I correct to take my time getting out to the 2.7 range and having to RTH? I landed with 18% battery left. I was hesitant to push it full throttle once I was loosing signal and video at about the 2 mile mark. I wanted to push on to 3 miles but got a little nervous. Clear skies and calm winds headed out and back. What would you veterans have done?

This weekend I was chasing a Metro-North train in New York not sure how fast I going but I was pushing it to the limit. I backed-off because the operator picked up the phone.

Reactions: Dirty Bird
Screenshot_2016-07-25-12-46-38.png

Reactions: Mikepoo
I was gonna push my P3A out to 3 miles this evening but was flying to slow I guess because of weak signal strength and losing video occasionally. Got the RTH signal at 55% battery remaining since I was 2.6 miles out. My ? Is could I have pushed on at full speed to the 3 mile mark instead of hovering several times on the way out to regain video and signal strength or was I correct to take my time getting out to the 2.7 range and having to RTH? I landed with 18% battery left. I was hesitant to push it full throttle once I was loosing signal and video at about the 2 mile mark. I wanted to push on to 3 miles but got a little nervous. Clear skies and calm winds headed out and back. What would you veterans have done?
I'm not a long range flyier, but I was able to push my P3A out to 4,1km (roughly 2,5 miles). I was using windsurfers, because here in europe it's quite difficult to push the craft out more than 2,5 km (1,5 miles) with stock antennas.
Anyway, I wanted to reach that exact point so I went straight there. I had time to do a little hovering and to explore the area a little, then hitted RTH to come back home. On the way back I started getting nervous because of battery time: therefore I pushed on throttle.
I landed with 25% battery left.
I am sure 3 miles are no problem... but mind the wind.

and you are 100% incorrect, bans or restrictions have nothing to do with how far someone can fly, your restrictions come because people/media see them flying around and see a big camera underneath it. it's getting these restrictions because we allow it.

None of the FAA Guidelines for Hobby/Recreation (the source of the LOS 'rule') have anything to do with photography.
It's all about Safety.

You come off as a bit of a crank who displays ignorant and simplistic views of things.

However please feel free to substantiate your claim that the FAA Guidelines for Hobby/Rec. are a result of:
" ...restrictions come because people/media see them flying around and see a big camera underneath it".

I cant comment on other country's rules but here in the uk we have rules that are specific to drones fitted with cameras.
Are these just for safety or more for protecting privacy?
I think privacy plays a part, or else why would those additional rules only apply to drones with a camera fitted.

Below is an extract from the CAA guidelines.

"When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe.

Follow these simple steps to make sure you are flying safely and legally.

Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don't fly higher than 400 feetAlways keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfieldsUse your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don't.

Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:

within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structuresover congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events"

Most of these rules were made in the days of RC planes that didnt have cameras on board. They didnt have GPS either.
Wrong. The FAA was not interested in regulating RC flight until people started doing crazy things with FPV. And when the market became flooded with MRs that really got their attention.

Reactions: N017RW
I cant comment on other country's rules but here in the uk we have rules that are specific to drones fitted with cameras.
Are these just for safety or more for protecting privacy?
I think privacy plays a part, or else why would those additional rules only apply to drones with a camera fitted.

Below is an extract from the CAA guidelines.

"When you fly a drone in the UK it is your responsibility to be aware of the rules that are in place to keep everyone safe.

Follow these simple steps to make sure you are flying safely and legally.

Make sure you can see your drone at all times and don't fly higher than 400 feetAlways keep your drone away from aircraft, helicopters, airports and airfieldsUse your common sense and fly safely; you could be prosecuted if you don't.

Drones fitted with cameras must not be flown:

within 50 metres of people, vehicles, buildings or structuresover congested areas or large gatherings such as concerts and sports events"

It isn't that simple any more!
400' has been increased to 1000'.
They have now said that you CAN fly closer than 50m if you are using the camera as a visual aid to flying - ie FPV.
I think you can't record though lol.
Typical fudge and grey area!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj