Wanted: tips for new operator.

Reaction score
Dear Phantom pilots,

Ive never used a drone before and Ive just ordered a Phantom 2 Vision+ for work purposes (documenting a humanitarian project in a remote location). I was given the task by my boss because I am a pilot.

Ive read these forums and have picked up a lot of tips, Ive also read a lot of horror storied about drones that have crashed etc. I was wondering if anyone has any tips for new pilots, even very obvious ones, that may save me from doing something stupid that would cause damage to my drone. Being in a remote area makes not damaging our equipment even more important as I cannot get replacement parts easily.

Cheers.

The manual is your best friend. Read it as much as possible.

Don't take anything for granted.

You'll do fine.
The Phantom is easier to fly than everyone imagines.
Take it easy and do your learning in a large, open area away from obstructions.

One place in the manual where I disagree is, take off briskly. The manual says to take off gently or slowly.

Just like when you are getting ready to fly.... Preflight checklist. Very important to have one and get into the routine of doing it before each flight. Keys are compass calibration and a must of getting GPS lock before flight. There are other items to check etc like the props. Wifi. Your Tx switches and battery power and so forth. Look at videos and prepare your own so you will be consistent. This will also help to prevent fly aways. Take your time and enjoy.

Give way to trees and buildings.
If you're gonna crash, make sure you hit something with equal value or more.
Land in water, it prevents tip overs and it saves the props.
When you open the box, ignore the manual and try and fly it above the clouds. The higher you are the closer the satellites. Dont worry, it will come home to the closest international airport.

And have fun

I have three tips:
ALWAYS make sure you have home point established before you take off
Keep the flat part of the range extender pointed towards your bird in flight
Land on a hard surface, not grass
ok, 4... keep it in Line Of Sight

doing something stupid that would cause damage to my drone. .

I think you have answered (almost) your own question. Doing something stupid will damage your drone or cause you to lose it, such as...
  • Not doing your pre-flight checks
  • Not understanding the controls
  • Trying to fly 3 miles away
  • Flying in cities, airports, over water and through trees
  • Taking off with low battery, no gps or a calibrated compass
In terms of spares I would recommend a couple of sets of blades.

if you have the time before heading off to the remote location, practice with a $70 unit - the Syma X5.

its just like flying a Phantom in manual mode. Virtually indestructible

if you have the time before heading off to the remote location, practice with a $70 unit - the Syma X5.

its just like flying a Phantom in manual mode. Virtually indestructible

Agree 1000%. I even got a little tiny Nano that really is tough to fly. Good practice for the big leagues.

Thanks guys, I realise that most of this stuff is obvious but it has helped me confirm things. This is a great forum.

My unit turned up yesterday and I have a week now to practice before I take it to work in the middle of nowhere. Of course murphy's law has made it stormy weather now so Im champing t the it to go for my maiden flight.

Cheers guys

Thanks guys, I realise that most of this stuff is obvious but it has helped me confirm things. This is a great forum.

My unit turned up yesterday and I have a week now to practice before I take it to work in the middle of nowhere. Of course murphy's law has made it stormy weather now so Im champing t the it to go for my maiden flight.

Cheers guys
a week is not a long time to learn much...

don't run battery to low
watch for TWO (2) sets of greens flashing lights to confirm home lock

connect to pc and go over all updates and settings look at them all, they may not mean anything now -but later it may make a difference or ring a bell.
set your mode to intelligent!

More than 1 way to do a CSC shut down in flight!

djicsc-jpg.18407

found this the other day and in another forum.

also If I read right in manual it is possible to left stick shut down motors if the mode is set a certain way

http://download.dji-innovations.com/downloads/nazam-v2/en/NAZA-M_Quick_Start_Guide_v1.26_en.pdf

check out immediate vs intelligent modes

FROM MANUAL :

If you choose the Immediately Mode, yous hould not pull throttle stick under 10% during flight, because it will stop motors. If you do it accidentally, you should push the throttle stick over 10% in 5sto re-start motors.

(2) DO NOT execute the CSCduring normal flight without any reason, or it will stop motors at once.

(1) If you choose the Intelligentmode, and the throttle stick is under 10%, this will trigger the landing Procedure, in any control mode. In this judgment, pitch, roll and yaw controls are denied except the throttle, but multi-rotor will still auto level.

(2) In any control mode, DO NOT pull throttle stick under 10% during normal flight without any reason.

good luck and have fun flying

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.