Vote hate or love the new layout

Arghh still not working. I click choose file go to my photo library,select the photo, The three bars on the top right hand corner start flashing,The picture is in the box, then suddenly disappears blank? :(

Hey guys - I know I'm biased here as I'm part of the 3 guys that took over the site to help take it to the next level. You are probably correct that we could have communicated it all better so the new site wasn't such a surprise. Behind the scenes we put a good deal of thought and planning into this move as it takes quite a bit of effort for 3 very part-time guys to make a complex move like this.
While it is a big change, this is the first step in taking this site to the next level. It includes some great new features responsive design, improved SEO, media gallery and more. We also moved to a more robust and scalable hosting to handle the future growth.

No doubt, it would have been much easier to just keep the old site plugging along with minimal investment and minor tweaks. But we decided instead to invest in growing the community and using the latest technologies. Long term I think you'll see this is a good change as we continue to improve the site. If you have any specific suggestions on how to improve it (navigation, sidebar widgets, etc..) then we'd love to hear it.

Thanks for all your support.

Cassidy

Not trying to be offensive here, Cassidy, but the comments " You are probably correct that we could have communicated it all better so the new site wasn't such a surprise." and "Behind the scenes we put a good deal of thought and planning into this move as it takes quite a bit of effort for 3 very part-time guys to make a complex move like this." Tells me that the actual USERS of your forums were an afterthought in the change. Any website that makes money based on the aggregation of a community should never look past the community that makes it possible to make money in the first place.

By saying you are improving SEO tells me there was a financial motivation to the change. It's cool, it's your toy to play with because you paid for it. But just remember what made the site popular and attracted the audience that your advertisers pay for access to...

Try 50 mb you can put it back later Jacob?

Can somebody else please try to upload a picture from iPad or iPhone...!

Not sure what you mean by bookmarks but the old subscribed threads are now watched threads.
The site did lose track of what posts you've read in a particular thread.
No.. we used to be able at the bottom of a page bookmark em and then you could get to em in the user control .
I would save Topics that way to give noobs or oobs a starting point to a topic that would answer what they where asking about .It would save the link like this and was easy to get to ....................http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/alternative-search-method-that-works-very-well.22453/

I just tried it on my phone and it works fine. I just clicked "upload a file", then pressed choose existing, then "choose from photos" then upload. Then it all worked.

Try 50 mb you can put it back later Jacob?

Can somebody else please try to upload a picture from iPad or iPhone...!
FIY - It does work with the iPad the same way as the iPhone. I tested it to be sure. It will not work if your images are over 10mb and most raw photos that an iDevice takes are larger than that.

The new owners have invested in something and by that they have the right to change things. They're arent going to do major things so that people will leave the forums, if so then they have wasted their money.

Look at football teams for example. New owners come in and make changes. The end result is still the same, you go to watch your team play. It might take a while for you to enjoy the way they play or you may love it instantly.

Yes this place is different now but in the long run it will benefit us.

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
Love it. Better on the eyes, faster to navigate, easier to use. I know change is hard especially for older people stuck in their ways ;).

At one point people hated the idea of an automatic transmission, now it's the norm.
You are going to see a lot of boards using this format soon.

How about a vote on this?

If enough people complain they MAY listen. Doubt it though very few people like to admit they have got it wrong. They must have spent a lot of money and how can they justify that?

I HATE this new look. It is messy - hurts my eyes - harder to see and find things.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT.

Seriously though they have ruined the best forum I have ever come across. The old one was a joy to use. Why spend so much time and effort wrecking the old one?

If it stays like this I wont be hanging around!!!

Lol I bet they remove this...................
if they are going to copy Inspire Pilots web page at least make it as easy and nice as it in navigation. Not liking this new page setup, and am considering just staying with hobby kings forums for phantom news if this stays like this, not saying go back but fix whats broken, and navigational issues

Not trying to be offensive here, Cassidy, but the comments " You are probably correct that we could have communicated it all better so the new site wasn't such a surprise." and "Behind the scenes we put a good deal of thought and planning into this move as it takes quite a bit of effort for 3 very part-time guys to make a complex move like this." Tells me that the actual USERS of your forums were an afterthought in the change. Any website that makes money based on the aggregation of a community should never look past the community that makes it possible to make money in the first place.

By saying you are improving SEO tells me there was a financial motivation to the change. It's cool, it's your toy to play with because you paid for it. But just remember what made the site popular and attracted the audience that your advertisers pay for access to...

Could not agree more. Not only should usability not be forgotten about (as it clearly has been in this case), it should come FIRST. You should have conducted usability sessions and run both sites in parallel for a period.

Without happy users you have no forum. You kill the golden goose.

Reactions: TeamYankee
if they are going to copy Inspire Pilots web page at least make it as easy and nice as it in navigation. Not liking this new page setup, and am considering just staying with hobby kings forums for phantom news if this stays like this, not saying go back but fix whats broken, and navigational issues
The Inspire Pilots forum is easier because it focuses on 1 product. Here we have 5 aircrafts and each have accessories.

The Inspire Pilots forum is easier because it focuses on 1 product. Here we have 5 aircrafts and each have accessories.

Exactly. Which is why a tool which works well for one purpose is not necessarily a good fit for another ;)

I never liked the Inspire Pilots forum layout, just laborious to navigate the threads. Reminds me of DJI's forum. It really is hard on the eyes. The UI here and at IP is pretty and all but requires effort to see if a thread is hot or not...you have to move your mouse over to see number of pages posted...

I got the idea change was required due to load and whatever, but the UI is making work of being here... Like I'm working on the Phantom on a Buckingham Palace's dining table.... Just not happening...

FWIW, it's set up as a social media site. Great for you younger people that like that stuff. I don't tweet, FB, instagram, or google+.

Maybe to everyone's agreement, but I'll be contributing and visiting less. Good luck!

Has anyone complained about not being able to read the red letters on the black background in the box that pops up when you click on an avatar? Is that a run-on sentence?

Maybe you kids can read it but my tired ole eyes can't.

Reactions: Fplvert
Love it. Better on the eyes, faster to navigate, easier to use. I know change is hard especially for older people stuck in their ways ;).

At one point people hated the idea of an automatic transmission, now it's the norm.
You are going to see a lot of boards using this format soon.

Cant knock people who are in business to make money or at least cover their own cost. Yes they could have put it to a vote, fielded questions, got input, etc from users but they would have gotten as many different opinions as there are members. Somebody has to make an executive decision when it comes to change, impliment the change and then grow and develop it based on what the user wants.
It looks like they are already ironing out bugs and listening to members.

They saw a reason/benifit to change and they did so. The old board got started from scratch at one point and you cant not change with the times because some members dont want you to. Yes I am sure they will lose a few members but I believe they will gain even more new members with this format.

Reactions: CarlJ
FIY - It does work with the iPad the same way as the iPhone. I tested it to be sure. It will not work if your images are over 10mb and most raw photos that an iDevice takes are larger than that.

So I can't upload images from idevice? Because most raw photos are over 10mb?

Has anyone complained about not being able to read the red letters on the black background in the box that pops up when you click on an avatar? Is that a run-on sentence?

Maybe you kids can read it but my tired ole eyes can't.
Good point, i'll work on it.

EDIT: Based on your feedback, we have updated the settings.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4